Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garageband drummer patterns playing kronos kits?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:33 am    Post subject: Garageband drummer patterns playing kronos kits? Reply with quote

Anyone have Garage band experience using GB-drummer patterns to play Kronos kits rather than GB-drummer kits?

I looked up some forums but no decisive details other than GB is not good for exporting midi files.
Not even enough info found, to say if GB-drummer is midi based rather than only audio based.
I know i don't need to export GB midi patterns to kronos, but if GB drummer can send midi out in the most basic way where drummer is involved, then i should be able to use drummer to play kronos kits and record that in kronos sequencer.
I am trying to capture into kronos, drum patterns with more elaborate fills and intros than Kronos has in presets.
I will be happy for any info about Logic Pro and any drum pattern features it may have with elaborate preset fills, intros and endings -similar or better than garage band and with the ability to midi drive kronos kits so i can record the patterns into kronos to use.
Thanks.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all boils down to Kit Mapping. If the patterns use standard GM Drum Midi map then you can just transpose the patterns by an octave and kronos should play them. (Korg Native being GM +12)

However if they are using some commom custom mapping then you'd need some reMapping tool to convert them to a standard.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:
It all boils down to Kit Mapping. If the patterns use standard GM Drum Midi map then you can just transpose the patterns by an octave and kronos should play them. (Korg Native being GM +12)

However if they are using some commom custom mapping then you'd need some reMapping tool to convert them to a standard.

Thanks. I figured having to reconfigure the kronos drum kits to match the patterns would likely be involved. It should take no more than manually customizing one kit to the standard array and from there i can substitute pieces in the kit to create a new kit for variety. Will be worth it to do it manually, the hard way to get full know how of custom kit making as well as the note by note layout of the mapping per drum pattern source.
If i am lucky, just a quick transpose and all set.
I think i would have an easier time customizing kronos kits note by note than i would creating my own fills, intros and endings.
I am much better at using kronos drum features than i am at making the exact beats i need.

*I have great rythm but just not drummer skills. Confused
IAA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Logic Pro X. I create a track with Kronos midi channel 1 setup, drag an alias of the drummer region to it, transpose this by +12 in the inspector (to place the events better for standard drum kits of Kronos. Mute the drummer track, but play with the settings, and record the Kronos drums. I've not tried to take the midi file into the Kronos, for my workflow it's not necessary.

I find this a good way to quickly use (very excellent!) Kronos drums in logic with the ease of drummer.

Ian
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAA wrote:
I use Logic Pro X. I create a track with Kronos midi channel 1 setup, drag an alias of the drummer region to it, transpose this by +12 in the inspector (to place the events better for standard drum kits of Kronos. Mute the drummer track, but play with the settings, and record the Kronos drums. I've not tried to take the midi file into the Kronos, for my workflow it's not necessary.

I find this a good way to quickly use (very excellent!) Kronos drums in logic with the ease of drummer.

Ian

Thanks much. That confirms for me it can work. I hope iPad version of drummer works out the same. Either way, i will be getting Logic Pro eventually.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try ipad garageband today if it has midi out and let you know.

Also,
Karma has a note remap feature, perhaps you can use it in a clever way to make it work.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amit wrote:

Also,
Karma has a note remap feature, perhaps you can use it in a clever way to make it work.

amit wrote:

Also,

I explored the Karma remap feature and like that best of all for coming up with fills and intros for Preset drum patterns. But i wonder if recording the remap function parts and saving them as user patterns will work correctly ,unless it actually shuffles midi notes to simulate remap rather than moving samples around.
Moving samples around is not good for midi recording -for making user patterns. It is Karma, so my best guess says it is shuffling midi notes around to simulate sample remapping. Which would work great for using it to make new user patterns for fills and intros based on presets. Maybe do a bit of step recording and editing to add and remove notes for added perfection. I can't make step recording or editing work for me without 84% of the work done for me by such things as Karma remap or preset fills and intros.

Thanks and i intend to use every possible source of pattern changes i can. I just got a drum machine iPad app that has preset patterns with dedicated fills and intros. All combined, i think i will be ok and have an easier time if i get the patterns into kronos and do a bit of midi note edits to thin or fatten up patterns for a good end result. Karma software would be great too -to get the fill patterns in there and work them under the remap function and parameters for added improvisation.
Just need easy external sources for drum patterns with dedicated fills that can record into kronos as user friendly midi patterns that drive kronos drum kits.
I still need a good old fashioned style drum machine. They are rare these days other than the EDM or electronic style drum machines.
I need arranger style function but specifically for drum patterns with the fills and intros/endings.
It is coming together eventually. Good thing they still sell new Boss Dr. 880 and i hope it does not come to kronos with sample mapping issues, but it has such good samples on its own that i can run it as a midi channeled drum track and even in tandem with Kronos Karma.
Good old fashioned Drumming.... My weak point, -so i am digging in and taking every advantage i can.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On vst front, rayzoom jamstix is an excellent drum generator with quite a lot of control.
On iPad I have a lot of music apps, but nothing exceptional.

Also remember Yamaha arranger style files are just midi with extra data and you can easily extract drum tracks from them along with fills and variations.

I made a style converter myself and also made available a lot of conversions, somewhere in my signature you should have a link to korg related stuff contaongban archive with thousands of styles that can give you a head start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: