Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos - aftertouch = JS+Y

View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrylh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Kronos - aftertouch = JS+Y Reply with quote

Is there a way to globally set the aftertouch (or poly aftertouch) of the Kronos to be Joystick +Y ?

If not, is that possible within a program or combination?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos - aftertouch = JS+Y Reply with quote

darrylh wrote:
Is there a way to globally set the aftertouch (or poly aftertouch) of the Kronos to be Joystick +Y ?

darrylh wrote:

If you are asking if aftertouch can be set globally or in a program or combi, i am assuming you have not found where aftertouch is in global, program or Combi.. ? I think after touch and JS(not VJS) are among the universal controls that are both control and Midi CC function in one. One cannot be the other. I think ribbon slider is the same. Or the short term used in Parameter guide page 1124 is "Fixed assignments" and not open to change.

" Function Assign" in Global mode lets you assigne JS Lock to external midi signals, but JS lock is different from the basic function of JS.
JS has a Midi CC# . CC#1 and 2 for JS +y and JS -y. So you may be able to assign the CC function to a different control, but in the case of Aftertouch, i am not seeing a Midi CC# on the list. Maybe i missed it so go double check me on pages 1125-1130 of parameter guide.

Last time i saw aftertouch, it was listed as a modulation source and also D-Mod source among effects as well as dynamic midi source for Karma.
Basically it is a type of control just like Joystick but of a different class. Some are fixed assignment, some are RPN/RPC message types and some are not listed as CC# functions and are a mystery to me.

Aftertouch is assigned to functions just like non fixed assignment controls are assignable to functions. Fixed assignment controls(JS) cannot be reassigned but their function can be double assigned as assigned to any assignable control or modulation source.
Maybe Aftertouch has its own default function for kronos but either way, you will have to look for what functions Aftertouch is controlling in you Program.. Because even if Aftertouch has a default assignment, it is still subject to various AMS, D-Mod and Dynamic midi assignments.
And in a program it can be in three different areas and over more than one function per area. It can be in the synth engine and possibly in one or more per each OSC or EXi in a synth engine, where you have programs using double OSC or EXi. Just check all your AMS options to see how many have Afertouch available and Aftertouch set as active.
If your program has IFx, go to the FX pages to see where D-mod or AMS are involved and see if Aftertouch is involved. If you have multiple effects chained, you will need to check each effect because you could have multiple instances of aftertouch modulating a parameter/s of D-Mod fitted FX pages.
Also if you have Karma active in the program, you have to look at Karma to see where instances of After touch are possibly used as dynamic midi source.

They way you asked the question is why i approached it backwards and the hard way. You learn a lot doing it the hard way, but the easy way is that Kronos has a great many functions and you identify one for effect and work to assign it to a control or modulation source. Controls modulate a function and thus a modulation source modulates a function. AMS is an Alternate modulations source. Of course JS is a fixed assignment control+function. But the function part is open to be assigned additionally to a new control via CC# 1&2.

The thing you are missing to make it easy on yourself, is a function, a parameter you want to adjust with joystick +Y. A parameter that gives you the effect you are hearing under aftertouch. It is a function or parameter somewhere and you need to identify it.
If you are not sure, then the hard way i described above is you best bet. It will do you good and clear a lot of things up for you.
And even after that hard way, your chances depend on if your intended Parameter allows JS +y to be used as Modulations source. It certainly is not available in control setup because of its fixed assignment status. AMS, D-Mod and Dynamic-midi may be able to bend the rules a bit but that is just a guess worth exploring.

AMS is all over the place in Kronos, including in FX pages. D-Mod is all over the place in certain types of effects. Dynamic midi is in Karma.
If you go on a wild goose chase for what possibilities are there to put under aftertouch and JS*Y, you will cover a wide swath of kronos.

in combi mode you have midi filter pages where Aftertouch and JS may be on the filter list for "enable" or disable. So be sure to check there if you are sorting this out in Combi or sequencer mode.
darrylh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 am    Post subject: Kronos - aftertouch = JS+Y Reply with quote

19naia, thank you so much for response.

I'll try experimenting with AMS, it seems like my best bet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: