Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Controller can't recognize Global Transpose

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sutekh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Controller can't recognize Global Transpose Reply with quote

I'm controlling the Kross with an Alesis Vortex keytar. For some songs I need to transpose up or down a half step, but when I change the master pitch of the Kross in the GLobal page, the keytar still plays the un-transposed notes, usually (once in a while it works)
So if I tune the Kross down a half step and hit middle C on the Kross I hear a B, but if I hit middle C on the controller I still hear middle C.

But there's no problem when I use fine tuning in Global.

SO why won't the keytar recognize the transposition?
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It's probably due to the convert position. Go to the Global/G-MIDI/Basic page and change the convert Position from Pre-MIDI to Post-MIDI. It changes the location of the transpose function before or after the MIDI input. In Pre-MIDI mode, transpose is only applied to the Kross keyboard itself. In Post-MIDI mode both the Kross keyboard and the MIDI input notes are transposed.

Btw, I think you better take a copy of your program and change the transpose in the program itself than the global transpose and save it under a new name.

Have fun.
sutekh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that fixed it! Thanks!!!!

Maybe you can help some more... I have several other huge problems with the controller. Mainly it does unpredictable things, most likely because I brush against the knobs or pads by mistake. Is there a way to shut off all the extraneous Midi data other than notes, pitch bend, and octave buttons?

I'm looking at the Global MIDI Filter page. I just don't want to mess anything up on the Kross.
sutekh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK now there's a bunch of brand new problems.

1) The controller has permanently dropped 3 octaves. When I hit middle C I get the C below the Bass staff.

2) When I select Midi channel 2, the controller won't make a sound again until I shut it off and back on, which means back to problem 1

I switched all the MIDI settings in the Kross back to what they originally were, but it's still doing this.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Indeed, in the Global/MIDI/Filter page, you can basically uncheck all options. The Kross will then only respond to notes from the keytar and ignore the rest.

Concerning your follow-up post, I think your controller might be a bit bogus. You can try to reset this one to factory settings as well.

The drop by 3 octaves seems strange to me and is probably a combination of incorrect settings on the controller and the Kross.
* Which zone do you use on the controller (both the lower and the upper zone can have a transpose from -12 to +12 semitones) (max 1 octave shift)
* What is the global transpose that you use on the Kross (it adds to the previous one)?
* What is the transpose in your program or combi that you use (it adds to the 2 previous ones...)?

I would try to start from a clean setup again, which is factory settings for both the keytar and the Kross. Then uncheck all filter settings in the Global/MIDI page. Check now that everything works fine with the default/first program on the Kross (The Kross Grand Piano). From then on we can progress further to different patches on the keytar and the Kross.

E.g. on your orignal post on the Transpose, I glanced through the Keytar manual and I would not touch the transpose function at all on the Kross. But create transposed patches on the Keytar itself. Selecting such one is much easier than hassling in menus on the Kross during a performance or exercising.

Bye
sutekh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to try out all your suggestions. Here's what happened last night at band practice...

The keytar started out about 3 octaves too low. I did the master reset as described on the Alesis site, and that fixed it...until I turned it back on later for another song, and it was several octaves too low again.

I think I did the master reset about 5 times. Each time I turned it on it was way too low- but the octave keys weren't lit, indicating it was at the normal octave range (middle C I assume) I don't understand why it can be working right but then when I turn it back on it screws up again.
sutekh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for keyboard "zone", the Vortex has 3 modes: channel 1, channel 2, or split.

I've set the pitch bend for -12/+2 (so it bends an octave down but only two steps up) That setting is in the Kross combo. (I haven't messed with the presets in the Vortex- mostly because the instruction manual is so poorly written that it makes little to no sense)

The combi is not transposed at all.

I un-checked everything in the Midi page on the Kross, but I had to re-check controllers because I need the pitch bend. Which means I get all the stupid controls too, such as the ribbon (it's a shame cause I used to love the ribbon controller on the Triton)
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi understand your frustration.
I'm following your related posts as well. Unfortunately I don't own the keytar, so I can only make some suggestions.

From all these posts I can not judge wether the Kross or the Keytar is the actual problem. What I do know is that both have deep menu diving possibilties (on the Kross using a display, on the Keytar via some minimal interface...).
So my guess is that there is still somewhere a config mismatch between them, rather than a real problem.

E.g. for drop in octaves, I would personally hook up the Keytar to my PC and use a MIDI logger to see whether the Keytar is transposed or not, to rule out the Keytar and start to look at the Kross. Or hook up to another synth and witness that the octave shift is still there or not.

You are using a combi on the Kross to be controlled by the keytar. The combi's can be quite complex set up to achieve several things...

Bye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: