Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Japanese Grand Middle C High Pitch Noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karlos925

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Japanese Grand Middle C High Pitch Noise Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

This one has been bothering me for a few months and figured I'd ask if anyone else is experiencing it.

If I play Japanese Grand patches and hit a middle C, I often hear a high pitch noise. The most clear way I've found to make it happen is if I play the Japanese Dark Grand patch and repetitively hit middle C and another key at eighth note or faster speeds while sustaining.

I have the original Kronos 61 with 3.1.2. I both tried downgrading the OS and reloading the original factory settings and neither helped. I seem to recall playing this patch in the past and not hearing this noise. I'm starting to wonder if something is going bad in the Kronos, but everything else seems normal when playing the board.

Has anyone else noticed this before?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Japanese Grand Middle C High Pitch Noise Reply with quote

karlos925 wrote:
Hi Guys,

This one has been bothering me for a few months and figured I'd ask if anyone else is experiencing it.

If I play Japanese Grand patches and hit a middle C, I often hear a high pitch noise. The most clear way I've found to make it happen is if I play the Japanese Dark Grand patch and repetitively hit middle C and another key at eighth note or faster speeds while sustaining.

I have the original Kronos 61 with 3.1.2. I both tried downgrading the OS and reloading the original factory settings and neither helped. I seem to recall playing this patch in the past and not hearing this noise. I'm starting to wonder if something is going bad in the Kronos, but everything else seems normal when playing the board.

Has anyone else noticed this before?

if its a new problem, my guess its your keybed or the actual key.

Are u referring to C4 ? I have the 88; C4/Japanese grand has a bit of a clank.

I don't have that noise type- does it show up in recordings ?
karlos925

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg, thanks for the response.

Yea, the keybed was the first thing I thought it could be too, so I played the note on an external MIDI controller and unfortunately still had the problem. I did mean C4 when I said middle C.

Here is a link to a quick sample with the noise: https://soundcloud.com/karls-6/japanese-grand-noise

Playing it today, it sounds a little more like digital noise than it did when I experimented a few days ago. It even sounds close enough to a high hat that I spent a few seconds making sure some drum sound was not getting linked.

Another thought I had was that somehow a piano sample became corrupt. So, I went through the piano types in the SGX engine and I could make the noise in most the Japanese Grand piano types but not German or Berlin pianos. Also, for some reason it was a lot harder to both make and hear the sound in brighter Japanese Grand piano types.

This is definitely a strange one as like I mentioned earlier everything else I do with the board seems perfectly fine.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlos925 wrote:
Hi Greg, thanks for the response.

Yea, the keybed was the first thing I thought it could be too, so I played the note on an external MIDI controller and unfortunately still had the problem. I did mean C4 when I said middle C.

Here is a link to a quick sample with the noise: https://soundcloud.com/karls-6/japanese-grand-noise

I heard that annoying noise at 10 seconds. I am stumped. If no one else has suggestions , I think its a service center visit.
mikelees

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the noise too. Sounds like one of the samples may be corrupt - probably only on one sample layer, so you only hear it occasionally. The brighter Japanese grands probably condense some of the sample layers over a narrower velocity range, which would explain why it's harder to get the suspect sample on these.
I would suggest reloading the factory KSC files from the DVD or via USB.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi karlos:

I listened to the patch through headphones, studio monitors, and an amp and can't duplicate the noise. I have and X88. I agree with mikelees, it may be a sample that's corrupt. Did you try loading just that sound somewhere to listen to it? I'm hearing more of a distortion vs. a high pitched sound, so that's why I tend to think it may be that. Let us know.
karlos925

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your responses,

Working off the given advise that it might be a sample that is corrupt I started playing with the EXs7 (Japanese Piano) samples in HD-1. I was able to reduce the noise down to being in 2 separate samples: Piano2.jp main2-L and Piano2.jp main2 strch-L

I definitely agree that it is more of a distortion noise and now that it is played through HD-1 I can hear it every time I hit the C4 (and only the C4). I tried loading the samples from multiple copies of the factory KSC files, and tried loading both to RAM and from virtual memory. All resulted in the distorted sample noise.

I'm not sure where to go from here but I'll continue to experiment for a while to see if it comes down to a setting.
karlos925

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got some time to work more on debugging this issue and figured out how to solve it. Working off it being a corrupted expansion set sample, I ended up having to do a format and full install restore to fix the issue. Apparently the partition on the SSD with the installed expansion set samples got corrupted. Unfortunately I couldn't successfully restore until I did the format option.

So, guess the lesson is, if you run into an issue where a expansion set sample seems corrupted but everything else works, it is likely a corrupted sample file and doing a complete restore is the only way fix it.

Hope this helps someone out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: