Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I really learn the Electribe 2 Sampler?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paratriplel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: How do I really learn the Electribe 2 Sampler? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone.

I'm new here, just a couple of seconds, though I looked in here before to try find answers to my questions.

I bought the Electribe 2 months ago and have not used it a ton since. Mostly because I don't really learnt how to use it. Bought it because in my production, I feel the drums are the biggest problem I've got, I don't like the sounds and I'm so slow with drum programming and figured "Hey I should buy a sampler!" and I wanted to have a sampler with pads.
I Looked at a range of samplers, some Akai's and used MPC's but later narrowed my search down to the Electribe, also a friend of mine bought one a year ago and he seemed to know his way around it figured he could teach me some stuff, so found one for a nice price and bought it.

The problem is that I do not like the factory samples and I've looked around for some samples and found a couple of free ones (TR909) and figured that would be a good start, but I don't really feel the magic of those either.
I understand I could just need to do some tweaking but first question
Question 1. Where can I find drum-samples? Free ones, paid ones, doesn't matter! Just need to get myself a couple of nice kicks, snares, claps, hats and maybe some different percussions.

Secondly. My friend haven't reached me anything about the Electribe yet, we're always busy when we meet and we don't have enough time to spend together to really sit down and go though it. The only tips he has given me is "Update it to the latest OS" and "Get the Electribe Sample Manager" and it was important that I got the Windows one and not the Mac one because "the PC one is free and the Mac version costs money and is not as good!", not sure if that's true but I've managed to install the windows version.
Next question.

Question 2. How can I learn to use Electribe and get an advantage to what I used before?
And now then? How do I get on with it and learn my Electribe to the depth that it's giving me an advantage to using say, Logic's own plugs like Ultrabeat or EXS24?

I love reading but have a hard time reading through manuals and actually remember what I read. Much easier to learn from reading in forums and such. Is there some tutorial I've missed? Text-based or youtube? Is there a thread in here that I should look into? I want to learn to use my Electribe 2 Sampler for some not too advanced drum programming.

I'm not interested in building a song entirely in the Electribe, but rather creating drum beat for a pop-/ electro pop-music.

Am I to stupid for it and should just get on with it and sell it and use the money to buy Superior Drummer 3? I really don't want to give up on my Electribe Sampler!

Please help me! Thanks!
Paratriplel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reply yet..

Well, I've took this day and spent something around 3-5 hours with it, not that much wiser but sure it's a bit fun.

Though I can't seem to figure out how to send midi to the Electribe without them all ending up on the same basic pad (C3?).

When I record midi from Electribe to Logic, it looks like everything is C3, whatever pad I'm hitting.

When I play it through external midi it sounds just right, but this is annoying and why is that? What setting am I missing? Is it something I need to do in Electribe? Or in Logic?

Let's start there. Okay?
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I'm not an electribe owner (although I nearly did buy one - it just wasn't right for my needs).

That said, when I have a new piece of gear that I want to learn, I make myself use it, and use it hard. Typically, I use it in music competitions with deadlines, so that I have to produce something - anything - and then after the deadline, I can look in the manual for answers to things that frustrated me.

Start there, maybe?
Paratriplel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really smart!

I'll try to do something like that.. I did use it all day today and are working on a new song and have had more progress than I had in a year! Reason I've worked on the electribe all day is because it's doing weird things though.. Like when I loaded a blank file and put in the usual drum samples I use in logic that I recorded it delayed the sample of the second pad and I couldn't figure out why.. Loaded another patch 250 or something instead of 001 and it was fine. But can't understand why they messed so much up with the patched and settings. I mean 60% of the samples are rally just rubbish for me (and probably many others). Why do they it so hard to use / make a blank electribe that you can fill with whatever you want?.. Hmm..

Still looking for nice pop / electro pop / EDM drum samples.. Please give me some tips!

I'll try your strategy out though. Maybe a bit modified but still with the deadlines but maybe something not so serious as a contest.. Though u guess I need that "boss" to get me going.. That pressure really releases my creativity.. Biggest problem is my time I sent enough to work on my music..

Thanks!
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With drum samples I find making my own the most fun.
Combo of stealing hits from my favorite records and layering with other drums to create a fuller tone.
Snares on the old electribe er-1 had to be a combo of two drums to sound good.
Kicks often benefit from processing and layering.include a click with a boom attack and maybe a boom sustain bass drum.resample and warm with disto or comp.
You only know what drums you like and producers like to define their style with personalised drums they can come back to.
Maybe use a good softsynth drum synth for some design.
Then its all about the mix and composition to get crisp drums.
Ie not mixing too many clashing frequencies in the high and low end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: