Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some advice for those who have stuff they value.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Some advice for those who have stuff they value. Reply with quote

We moved into a house 6 weeks ago and spent many hours moving all my music gear.

I had not even set up most of it again when the nearby fire struck Sunday morning.

Smelling smoke we rose to see fires on three sides though some distance away.

So we left in a hurry as the wind was really strong. Gusts up to 70 mph I'm told.

That was at 2.30 am. We are near Santa Rosa, CA, USA.

The house (on a 5 acre farm) was not burned but we did lose a storage shed and an animal bar (no animals). Two nearby homes were destroyed.

After going back I realized that the storage shed contained many items that I would forget so I took pictures of what remains I could see as a reminder. Perhaps insurance will cover some of that loss. Pics will help. There were two boxes of hardwood flooring in that shed that completely disappeared. As did a TV. I was amazed how many things we had stored there and surely would have forgotten many. Two new bikes, ex machine, mobile scaffold, some tools, wire fencing (bought that day) and so on.

The main point is that we should record our possessions before such events if possible. I intend to do that if we get to return (no word on that yet).

I think a video is the best way to record rooms full of stuff.

To recall items using transaction records would be very time consuming.

I've taken my main PC, the Kronos and Sub 37 with me after getting back into the farm briefly on Monday. Its under mandatory evacuation now.

If the place survives these ongoing fires we may be able to provide shelter for some of the thousands who have lost their homes.

We are the lucky ones but ready to evacuate the temporary shelter where we are now.
Devnor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck to you man. I represent Air Monitor Corp, in Santa Rosa. A couple employees lost their homes, factory completely shut down but intact. It a huge mess over there.

Videos, pics, pics of serial numbers. I insure with Clairon.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:
Good luck to you man. I represent Air Monitor Corp, in Santa Rosa. A couple employees lost their homes, factory completely shut down but intact. It a huge mess over there.

Videos, pics, pics of serial numbers. I insure with Clairon.

Yes, serial numbers and perhaps model numbers.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth:

First, Thank you for sharing that advice. But more importantly I’m really glad you’re safe. I’m in the Bay Area and can’t imagine what you and others are going through. I’ve been watching closely the fires and loss of life and property. Thank you for thinking of others at this tragic time. Stay well and stay safe!
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyd wrote:
Ksynth:

First, Thank you for sharing that advice. But more importantly I’m really glad you’re safe. I’m in the Bay Area and can’t imagine what you and others are going through. I’ve been watching closely the fires and loss of life and property. Thank you for thinking of others at this tragic time. Stay well and stay safe!

We feel so lucky as we have two houses right now as the old one has not been sold. We can shelter there. My wife is out today helping with employees from the company she works for. Many have lost everything.

The new house / farm is still untouched and in no immediate danger.

The wind did not rise up as it was supposed to do so that was a relief.

Lessons learned for us re preparation. An Earthquake Kit is not enough.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend living in Santa Rosa and he had to evacuate yesterday, not sure what the status is. It's horrible what's happening there. Glad you are safe, stuff can (eventually) be replaced but people can't.

SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A timely reminder, and my heart goes out to anyone that has lost belongings through natural disaster or malice.

I built a simply database in Ninox, which is available on iOS and macOS, and used that to catalogue all my belongings. I've scanned all my receipts and photographed serial numbers. It's all backed up into iCloud. Hopefully I'll never need it, but it's reassuring that it's there.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Bitflipper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experience is not the best teacher, it's the worst - because the lesson comes after the test. (I stole that wisdom from a church readerboard.)

The thing is, you never know how prepared you are until your preparedness is tested. For me, The Test came after I'd been burgled and every single piece of music-related gear was stolen, including my DAW.

I had photos. I had receipts, serial numbers and a comprehensive homeowner's policy. Or so I thought.

But some receipts had been lost. Some newer gear had not yet been photographed.

And insurance companies do everything they can to avoid paying the full replacement costs. They severely devalued microphones even though well-cared-for mics go UP in value, not down.

I'm glad the information I did have was NOT on a computer or smartphone, but on paper in a filing cabinet far removed from the studio. Had they been on my computer or laptop they'd have gone away with everything else.
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advice. What a horrible experience that must have been. We don't have anything like that in NJ, but I live right on the Delaware River, so I'm sure my time will come when global warming (or the next hurricane) will cause the sea levels to rise right over my house! The video inventory is a great idea.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video really gives an idea of what happened in one part of Santa Rosa.

Imagine the personal losses here.

My friend and his family escaped with virtually nothing.

It was so fast that they barely got away.

https://www.facebook.com/NBCBayArea/videos/10154822803641990/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: