Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about a live setup with ES2 as the center.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
InTheAM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Questions about a live setup with ES2 as the center. Reply with quote

Hey all,

So I've got a series of live gigs coming up in July 2018 at an outdoor music and arts festival. I'll try to keep this all short and too the point.

Since this is Korg forums and the Electribe sub forum I'll start with the most relevant questions.

One of the performances I'll be doing is going to be pretty "live". I'm working on an hour of kind of dubby atmospheric minimal music. Kind of along the lines of some of Atomnation's output (I've been listen to the LP Autumn Bells by Gidge off Atomnation as well as fin by John Talbot, 6th Burrough Project, Lovecrafty etc).

I haven't performed live in a long time and even back then I was mostly just mixing records, so I want to keep things simple.

Right now my proposed setup is to use the ES2 for beats and doing live retriggers of vocals/one shots. Everything else will be prepared loops launched from my iPad with either Launchpad or LP-5 (depending which one plays nicer). Those are both easy to use loop launching apps.

Before I was thinking of using just the ES2 and hard panning all the drums to one side and everything else to the other side. I wanted to do this so it'd be easy to live sample from an aux send on a mixer to a KP3 or a Boss RC-202 to help me layer things and help eliviate voice stealing etc on the ES2.

The sound system isn't going to be impressive. This is kind of like a "renegade stage" if you are familiar with the term. I even thought keeping things in mono might be ideal. Everything is inside a large canvas tent. Its probably going to be like an average cover band PA system.

I'm kind of totally confused as what to do at this point and I've started and stopped working on music for this performance a couple times because I'm not sure how to set things up and everytime I change my mind I have to rework things, transfer samples etc.

I haven't had a chance to play around with the first option (ES2 + Launchpad or LP-5). Well, I've been having a go at the apps, but haven't gotten the iPad and ES2 synced up to see how it all goes.

And if I go with the first option (ES2+iPad) I keep asking myself do I even really need the KP3 or RC-202? I'm sure I could find a use for either, but is that making things more complex than they need to be? The big benefit of the RC-202, to me, is it seems I could just load preppared loops and load them up on the fly and not worry about stuff going out of sync, but at that point why am I buying new hardware when that is what I'lm already doing on my iPad (assuming one of the two loop launching programs proves reliable enough). Everything I've read about the KP3 and how long it takes to load a set of samples/FX preferences etc makes that option unusable live.

I'm most comfortable adlibing with drum patterns (mutes, live FX tweaks, etc). I've owned a KP3 before and remember liking it and not having an issue keeping things synced live even though it handles looping oddly). I want to go with a setup that gives me some room for improvisation, but also a setup I can rely on to kind of "run itself" and has less room for human error in it.

To boil it down:

Which combination of gear would you prefer in this situation and why? I'm looking for some improv wiggle room but want a setup I can fall back on to kind of run itself if my improv doesn't go well.

I'm kind of in a rush because I've also got to get my DJing chops back up as I'm providing straight up dance muzak for a couple of events. Sorry I knew this would end up super long no matter what.

THanks!
immon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd use the electribe on its own as one source and then send clock to the iPad which i'd have running into the kaoss pad.

why? You can cover lots of ground with the e2s on its own and its intuitive. The master fx, mutes and filtering etc are always within easy access.
iPads can be a nightmare to manipulate in a live situation, and if you get at all nervous the screen is a lot harder to use! The kaoss pad is easy and it looks cool, so you'll be able to do build ups and transitions easily of the iPad audio runing in to it.

Perhaps use only 3 patterns for each song to keep it super simple?

Intro - breakdown - Busy section - Rinse repeat.

Dont rush

Just my thoughts and rambles
InTheAM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

immon wrote:
I'd use the electribe on its own as one source and then send clock to the iPad which i'd have running into the kaoss pad.

why? You can cover lots of ground with the e2s on its own and its intuitive. The master fx, mutes and filtering etc are always within easy access.
iPads can be a nightmare to manipulate in a live situation, and if you get at all nervous the screen is a lot harder to use! The kaoss pad is easy and it looks cool, so you'll be able to do build ups and transitions easily of the iPad audio runing in to it.

Perhaps use only 3 patterns for each song to keep it super simple?

Intro - breakdown - Busy section - Rinse repeat.

Dont rush

Just my thoughts and rambles

That's interesting. I've not tried to use the iPad live much and was wary it might not be a super viable option. The ES2 can certainly sail solo and if I've just got the iPad hooked into the KP3, I can monitor that my loops are synced via the headphone out on the KP3 before committing anything to the main mix.

Excellent. That's also much easier than trying to screw around with aux send amounts on the mixer as well.

Edit: Also, excellent suggestion the the 3 pattern idea.
Psychcowboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: using E2 live Reply with quote

One thing is the sound you get from typical PA speakers -- I did a gig with a pair of JBL eon and the kick in particular sounded like crap. At my house I use stereo speakers and a subwoofer -- sounds awesome. If you are performing with E2 make sure they have a sub, or bring a large stereo speaker you can chain from a powered PA speaker. BTW -- here is my latest featuring E2 and novation mininova -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrqpz0B1mhQ&t=59s.
IncredibleTendril

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of just using the Electribe and a Kaoss Pad. Keeps things simple. What festival are you playing?

I'd been toying with trying my hand at live looping with ableton, but I find myself always coming back to my E2 because it's so user-frienly and I can't get lost in endless template-tweaking. I get so much more done with just the E2, despite its limitations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: