Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kross to studio monitor connection - suggestion reqd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
princesamson

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Kross to studio monitor connection - suggestion reqd Reply with quote

I'm very much new to workstation keyboard and got my Kross 88 yesterday. Iam having one (not pair ! just one ..budget !! pheww Very Happy ) Yamaha HS5 studio monitor. I tried connecting mono/L from Kross to XLR input in HS5 and also tried mono/L from Kross to TRS input in HS5. To my surprise, all programs even the piano program doesnt sound anywhere near to what i heard in youtube Kross demo videos, Can u suggest me where im going wrong ? Also connecting phones output from KROSS to TRS input in HS5 will it have any difference in sound. Or getting a pair of HS5 will make any difference ?. pls help. !!! thnks
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Few weeks ago I did a similar experiment. Only one connection from the Mono/L to an amplifier, which played the single channel to both L and R of my amplifier. I could also only think about this: man this piano does sound very bad.
Connecting also the R channel and play both L and R back in real stereo on the amplifier brings the nice sound of the piano back.

Maybe not all programs suffer from it, I did not investigate it further, but the piano ones typically use a stereo multisample, which may explain that missing the right part in the sound results in a crappy piano sound...

So, I would advice you to buy a second monitor as well.

Have fun.
PhilC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am planning to buy studio monitors to connect my Kross to them.
What would be the best cables to use so that the signal comes as clean and powerfull as possible.
I hear about balanced/unbalanced/TRS ?

Thanks
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRS vs TS:

It explains how many contacts there are on your patch cable; TS standing for Tip/Sleeve, and TRS for Tip/Ring/Sleeve.

Basically, how many conductors are running through the cable from jack to jack. TS gives you two (generally signal and ground, although there's no law about it that I know of) and TRS gives you three (stereo signal and ground).

If you're connecting a Kross to some audio solution, you may as well use one cable for each audio out jack, and use TS on each because you're only collecting one signal from each. Depending on your destination, you might end up needing a Y cable that ends up with a single TRS end on the other end - but into my mixer I just have two TS-to-TS cables and it works fine.

Honestly, unless your cables are actually broken or otherwise messed up, the incremental difference between the sound quality with modern cable hardware is likely to be minimal. Get some nice cheap TS-to-TS cables of appropriate length, and make you some music.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two types of TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) cable; balanced and stereo. They are constructed differently. Both have TRS jack plugs on the ends, but the cable between the plugs is different. In the balanced cable type, the two signal conductors, one connected to the tip and the other to the ring, share a common outer screen or ground, connected to the sleeve. These are fine for connecting balanced mono signals, such as the L or R audio from the Kross, to the next part of the audio chain e.g. an amplifier, mixer, or effects unit. They will also "work" with stereo signals, where the left channel is normally connected to the tip and the right channel to the ring *, and the signals path is unbalanced. However, when used for stereo, the close proximity of the two wires in the cable leads to crosstalk between L and R channels. The extent of the crosstalk is frequency dependent and is also affected by the system impedance. The crosstalk may prove unacceptable, especially in critical recording situations.

In the stereo cable type, the two signal wires for L and R each have their own screen, the effect of which is to reduce crosstalk considerably. Used for stereo, the signal path is unbalanced. The stereo cable type will also work with balanced signals but, for a given manufacturing quality, tends to be more expensive. The price difference may not seem like much for one off purchases, but can make a considerable difference financially when equipping a complete studio. The stereo TRS type of cables are also better suited for sending/receiving mono signals to/from effects units that use send/receive connections.

* correction replaced sleeve with ring.

Last edited by voip on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
PhilC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! that is complicated.
Anyway i will be able to borrow all genres of cables from a friend who has a home studio. My ears will decide what"s best!
Thanks for both of you for trying to help (I must say i have never been very good at understanding the technical aspect of music instruments).
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can keep it simple for you:

TS cables can carry mono signals, but lose stereo.

TRS can carry stereo signals (some better than others - if you're curious how and why, read voip's post again with care).

The Kross produces two mono signals; one for the left, and one for the right.

Use two TS cables for the two audio jacks in the back of the Kross, and enjoy. It will work fine.
PhilC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i get it now: There is no use of getting 2 TRS cables since the signal coming from the 2 Kross outputs is not balanced (like the outputs on my Roland usb audio interface).
So TS it will be.
Thanks Koekepan

Ps: Re Reading voip's post, i am confused again !

" In the balanced cable type, the two signal conductors, one connected to the tip and the other to the ring, share a common outer screen or ground, connected to the sleeve. These are fine for connecting balanced mono signals, such as the L or R audio from the Kross, to the next part of the audio chain e.g. an amplifier, mixer, or effects unit".

So it does can be mono and balanced! And therefore TRS cables would logically bring a better quality to the outcoming sound from the Kross ?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kross' L and R outputs are unbalanced, so a TS (Tip Sleeve) type cable should be used. This type of cable can be plugged into a balanced amplifier or mixer input without any problems, since these have normally been designed to cope with either type of input.

TRS cables would not damage the Kross but, depending on the jack sockets that Korg have fitted to this instrument, it is possible that TRS cables will either not work, or the cables may be prone to picking up electrical interference type noise.

PhilC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks voip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: