Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switching from Kronos to Krome, What would I lose?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJkeysman888

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:50 am    Post subject: Switching from Kronos to Krome, What would I lose? Reply with quote

Hi All. I've owned my KronosX 61 for about 3 years and it's a great key board. But my keyboard needs have been changing. I have a Hamond SK1-73 as my lower keyboard and use it for Organ and a few other sounds; killer Clav Wah and a few other good sounds.

But last year I fell and broke my back. I've healed but the need for a lighter rig is becoming apparent. My Kronos X 61 weighs in at 28 lbs but with only 61 keys. T(his used to be my LIGHT keyboard!) But the Krome 73 is only 18lbs. So I gain 12 keys, lose 10 lbs. (SK1-73 is 21 lbs)

To get a lighter righ I've tried pairing my SK1 with my Roland VR-09, but I'm missing the ability to layer many sounds in a Combi that Korg features.

My long winded point is this. With the Krome 73 being only 18lbs, I save 10 lbs if I switch to a Krome from my Kronos.

What key things am I going to miss? The Set List Mode for sure is one. But what other Key things am I going to give up that I should be aware of?
sken88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off of the top of my head... No sampling, only one synthesis engine instead of 9. No individually assignable outputs. Of course the Krome is much cheaper!
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The keybed on the KRONOS 61 is much nicer that the Krome 73...I think that the semi-weighted keybed on the KRONOS is very good, one of the best I've ever used, and I'm even comfortable playing piano things on it..the Krome 73 keybed is not nearly as nice (though not as bad as some people on the forum have said); it's very much an individual preference, of course, and I don't have any real problem playing the Krome, but every time I go back to the KRONOS I realize how much better the keys feels...it is a big difference, if keyboard feel is important to you...

df
CowboyNQ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to what's already been mentioned:

- aftertouch
- smooth sound transition
- vector joystick
- ribbon controller
- sliders
theeAdversary

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also feeling the need for a lighter keyboard. I am right in thinking there is no Set List mode on the Krome. I think i'd miss that quite a bit.

I think this is the order, Korg Monotron, Monotribe, MicroSampler, MicroKorg XL+, MS20 Mini, SQ1, Kronos 2 61...
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krome has no setlist.

The Krome has an arpeggiator, Kronos has Karma.

NJkeysman888

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to set up your Programs and Combi's in some sort of Set List order? If so, how many slots?

Thanks for the input so far everyone!

G
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJkeysman888 wrote:
Is there a way to set up your Programs and Combi's in some sort of Set List order? If so, how many slots?

Thanks for the input so far everyone!

G

What I did when I used my M50 as main instrument (similar to Krome), is to use only combis. If you h ave a program, make a combi with only 1 timbre inside to that program. Than I put them in the correct order for a gig, using empty combis like 'Set 1', 'Set 2' to easily navigate.

For moving all combis around (and changing names) you can use PCG Tools; wish I made it much earlier.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fat Bastard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the actual sound quality?

Is it 1 to 1 for the same sound like sounds that are derived from the Kronos?
Derived usually means the they are based on but not equal to.

I have not found any good comparison videos about that and my local shop don't have both keyboards to compare live.
96th_Malice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly

Sound quality between the 2 ..... I think I can hear the difference

My bandmates can't .....

And actually they like some of the sounds off of my Krome and Triton Le better
Lenster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Kronos to Krome Reply with quote

I realize that your original post is a year and a half ago, and it may no longer be an issue. But I can say from experience that as wonderful as the Krome is for sounds and ease of use, it lacks horribly in quality. I have had two Kromes crap out on me and I cannot recommend one based on that.

My first thought would be to see if there is a Kronos module available and then use a light weight controller keyboard that is compatible with it.
In these forums, you should be able to find a possible solution.

As I said, I know it's late but I hope it helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: