Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Songbook - writing a midi file with +2 transposition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rosco_Australia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Songbook - writing a midi file with +2 transposition Reply with quote

I recorded a MIDI using sequencer in Key C and saved in SONGBOOK. During the WRITE procedure in SONGBOOK I used transpose button to increase by +2.
When I push WRITE the transpose #/b blinks at the top of the screen and won't write the MIDI in SONGBOOK with the revised +2.
I have used SONGBOOK in my old PA3x and it always worked fine, but can't get the PA4X songbook to accept the transpose change.
What am I doing wrong?
Rosco_Australia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have know discovered the transpose key doesn't work in style play, song play , sequencer and Sound Mode. When I push transpose key up or down, the display shows +1 or -1 etc, but the #/b beside the number at teh top of the screen flashes on and off. If if reset to 0, the #/b disapears. Any reset I can do to the keyboard?
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rosco, am not in front of my kbd right now but there are a few things that you could check.

1. Check that your global settings that relate to the transposition of styles and the transposition of the player are set correctly (and no locks that may be relevant are on), as this will limit/affect your ability to change transposition for one or both of the these.
2. The answer that you need may be on Page 854-858 of the manual. (i.e. your issue may be related to master transpose and how it works with midi files and how the global locks can be used).

3. I know it's not what you were asking to do in your original post but FYI it is easy to transpose the midi file that you have created (in a way that you will not need to do anything in the songbook). I explain one way how to do it in this old thread:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=108959&highlight=

Hope this helps in the meantime.
Best wishes,
Jon
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its Songbook, Edit Book 2, change transpose, Save.
Rosco_Australia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,
The global tuning was "off" and I changed to Next Measure, and Transpose Button works again style, midi etc !! Thanks.

Hi Reuben,
Your suggestion works fine on PA3x. But on the 4X, after write command, I can't get it recognise the transpose when I run in songbook.
When I use transpose button up or down (ie +1,+2 or -1, -2) #/b in styleplay, songplay, sequencer and sound, it just flashes at the top of the screen.
It means I have to manually change the transposition when I move from songbook midi to the next midi.
I have reloaded OS and did a factory reset (what a pain to reload) but no change.
I have used my old PA3x , to confirm all this.

Regards, Rosco
Rosco_Australia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tackling this from what I've done in the past and Jon's suggestion to transpose the midi file in the sequencer mode.

Modify the midi in sequencer mode
Jon,
I followed your instructions on how to transpose the midi and it worked. However, when I play back in SONGPPLAY the RH notes are different to the LH accompaniment (which has been transposed). How do I get whole instrument to tranpose (LH and RH)?

Modify the completed midi in SONGBOOK
Also, does anyone know how to get songbook to write and accept the M.Transpose change. Page 128- User Manual .

Lastly, Does anyone know how to stop the b/# flashing on/off when you push the transpose key?

Regards, Ross
pax-eterna

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I save styles and MP3 tracks with transpose all the time. I simply have the Master Transpose Lock set to off in Global.

I think the flashing is there to remind you the keyboard is transposed. Notice it doesn't flash when at 0
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ross, I'm not 100% sure I fully understood your question about the lower/upper part transposition being different (I assume you were referring to the fact that the midi file that you're using as a backing track, is in a different key to the kbd).

So, assuming that you have successfully transposed the midi file (which I think that you have) and now want to save your live kbd transposition setting into a songbook (but are having trouble making your required transposition stick in the songbook that you write) then I believe your problem is probably simply to do with your Global Transpose lock being on , exactly as pax-externa mentioned.

FYI, It says on P 854 "SongBook and Master Transpose
When saving a SongBook Entry, the Master Transpose is also saved. Master
Transpose might therefore change when choosing a SongBook Entry. To
avoid this to happen, you may lock the Master Transpose in Global > General Controls > Lock > Tuning."

Also, relevant on that page it say's " ....Preventing unwanted transposition
When loading a MIDI Song containing Master Transpose data, the instrument’s Master Transpose is modified. This may cause problems with other Songs or when playing the Styles. To avoid this to happen, you may lock the Master Transpose in Global > General Controls > Lock > Tuning.

If you still want to transpose the Song, use the Transpose function found
in the Sequencer > Song Edit > Transpose page to transpose the MIDI data
contained in the MID file.
As a general rule, you should use the Master Transpose (TRANSPOSE buttons on the control panel) when you want to transpose the Keyboard Sounds together with the Song. You should use the Song Edit’s Transpose function when only the Song has to be transposed."

FYI, I also agree with pax-eterna's comment about the flashing #/b is probably just a notification/warning that the kbd is transposed (as I guess it saves you from accidentally playing along to a file in the wrong key).

Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Jon
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonyblues wrote:
...FYI, I also agree with pax-eterna's comment about the flashing #/b is probably just a notification/warning that the kbd is transposed.....

Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Jon
Agree,
It is for sure and it's a very practical/convenient feature, specially in live performance.
Rosco_Australia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, problem solved.
You've saved a great deal of heartache !!!
Just changed Master Transpose Lock set to off in Global, as per Pax Eterna.
Also noted your comments Jon on when to use the Master Transpose.
I love this forum !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: