Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PA4X & KRONOS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stilli:

Withouth any doubt, Kronos is the best keyboard ever made.-
As by the time i bought my Kronos 2 don't exist Kronos LS, my suggestion is go for the LS model, is light weight and have a semiweighted synth action, better to transport and with a good keybed feeling.-

With regards.
Eduardo
Jonyblues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stilli, if you consider the Kronos ls, as Eduardo suggests, be aware that it does not send aftertouch from the kbd (it only receives it, from what I understand). So, if being able to send AT when playing the kbd is important to you (I personally wouldn't be without AT), you may want to consider the other Kronos models, which do have fully functional AT.
Best wishes,
Jon
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stilli wrote:
Those of you that have the Kronos, would you buy the same again or something else to pair with the PA4X?

I may be looking for a new 88 weighted keyboard to replace my Yamaha S90XS in the near future and not sure which way to go although the Kronus is looking to be a favorite at the moment.
It will be my master keyboard for live and studio work, will be used with my PA4x in a 2 board setup.

If there is one thing i would change, it would not be the kronos, but the pa4x, simply bacause there are some good alternatives for a pa4x, yet none for the Kronos...
Stilli

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments guys, food for thought.
Korg PA4X, Kawai MPIISE, Ketron SD4, Roland Integra 7, Motu Midi Express XT, Motu Audio Express, Cubase 9.5 Pro, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collectors), Omnisphere, TC-Helicon Voicelive 3, Bose L1m2 (x2) + B2 (x2)
Ron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All - My test drive of a KronosX - 88 continues. Last night I updated the OS to 3.1.2. No issues at all.

Then I MIDI'd the KKX to the 4X. Was able to replace the 4X UPPER 1 with the KK sounds and layer as Pete suggested. 4X sustain pedal was transmitted to the KK as Nemik suggested - also all other unfiltered midi commands, pitch bend, AT, etc.

Learned that changing KB Sets on the 4X sends a program change message to the KK which results in some interesting sounds if you are not expecting this. I used the MIDI filter to stop this. Then I could change KB sets on the 4x and still have the same Kronos sound on U1 for all KB sets. Not sure if useful though.

Going to get into KARMA next. This shouldn't take more than a few minutes. LOL!

By the way, I noticed a couple of things about the KKX. The keys slant down at the back when the instrument is on a level surface. Can anyone tell me why? Also, the KKX-88 is a BIG keyboard. Became really obvious when I checked for adjustable feet to level the keybed.

How to physically arrange these two keyboards remains a question for me. My temporary setup - one in front of me and one behind is clearly not the answer! Good exercise though.

PS - I'll try to keep my posts limited to the combination of the 4X and KK as I know this isn't a Kronos forum but hopefully some of the "Kronos" questions will help those considering an addition to the 4X.
Stilli

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron wrote:
By the way, I noticed a couple of things about the KKX. The keys slant down at the back when the instrument is on a level surface. Can anyone tell me why? .............

It's not uncommon for piano keybeds to slope down a couple of degrees towards the pivot point and there are some theories as to why:

It makes the keys level when depressed.
It can create an illusion that the 88 key board is shorter than it actually is.
It makes for a more comfortable playing action (personal preference) and helps stop fingers slipping off the keys.

My Yamaha keybed has this slope and I find it very comfortable to play, this would not be so effective for an organ type keybed especially for effects like 'palming' glissandos.
Korg PA4X, Kawai MPIISE, Ketron SD4, Roland Integra 7, Motu Midi Express XT, Motu Audio Express, Cubase 9.5 Pro, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collectors), Omnisphere, TC-Helicon Voicelive 3, Bose L1m2 (x2) + B2 (x2)
Ron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answers Stilli. I was thinking the keybed slant might be to facilitate having the entire keyboard at an angle for better display viewing.

I spent some time with Karma last night but mostly just checking out what it can do by listening to the factory versions and adjusting them. The combinations and variations are truly endless and most are pretty awesome.

At some point I decided to try the sequencer. Basic midi recording is really easy. Ready, Go! Seriously. There is a quick record feature that uses the current program or combi. You arm the recorder and press go when you want to record. Will delve deeper another night.

I will probably need a suggestion or two at some point in order to try the sampler. This is something I have never done. I'm assuming I could sample sounds from the 4X and then somehow compare them?

My conclusions so far:

1. The KKX-88 is a rock solid and large keyboard. Not sure if the weighted keys are a good thing after getting used to semi-weighted.

2. How to physically configure and play along with 4X is not clear yet. If run the KKX audio through the 4X, it seems you lose the 4x mic input so as Eduardo suggested, a mixer is appropriate.

3. The sounds are just excellent. A great solo instrument but doubtful it's practical in combination with the 4X on a gig.

4. Very easy to find sounds. They are grouped and sub-grouped. Also a good search tool.

5. Lots of detail on many of the screens. But great resolution compared to the 4X. Still pretty small in some cases. Don't always get the parameter I want with my fingers and doesn't respond well to fingers anyway. Probably need a stylus for serious editing.

6. Karma is amazing. I think it's one of those things I will fumble through without ever really understanding how it actually works. Need to spend more time with this unique feature.

7. And last -- there is no way I will be able to fully evaluate this thing in the time I have. This is a very complex keyboard with tremendous capability most of which is beyond my understanding. I have yet to touch many features such as the sampler and drum machine.

That said, I'm leaning toward keeping it! To be fair, this is partly because I got a really good price on a pristine unit but it's still an impressive keyboard. And also, who wants to take a keyboard back once you get it home?

Sad
bartvinc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: connection kronos and pa4x Reply with quote

Can you please help me with how to connect the midi cables between the two keyboard and how to configure the settings in the global connection. I am really struggling.

Kind regards

Bart

karmathanever wrote:
Hey Ron

It's a match made in heaven.
These 2 keyboards work so well in terms of having very little overlap.
I use my Kronos MIDI'd to my PA4X and often use Kronos sounds as UPPER 1 in style play mode.
Also just in SOUND play mode layering Kronos with PA4X sounds - the options are endless

PA4X with its DNC, Kaoss etc...
Kronos with its many sound engines (CX3 - love it) and SST (and KARMA of course - sometimes use KARMA combis instead of a style)
I'm sure others may use them differently.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bart

Happy to help but can you please explain what you are needing from the 2 keyboards when connected?

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be very interested to hear about the similarities as well as the differences between the two keyboards. Although some say there is little overlap between the two, is it really that clear cut? I have often felt that if you want as little overlap between keyboards as possible, two different manufacturers gives you a guarantee of no two sample sets having anything in common whatsoever.

To my ears, from the Triton onwards, I think I have always been able to tell a Korg from a Roland, from a Yamaha… But I have spent little time with a Kronos. Is it a complete departure from the “Korg sound“?

I think, for me, it would be much more important how well the Karma and arpeggiation features synchronized with the arranger engine than simply a sound source for new lead sounds. How well can these to be integrated? Is it practical on a gig to select one Songbook entry and have the Kronos automatically select the matching preset? Is it easy to route style Parts to use Kronos sounds and are there any glitches?

If all you want is an expanded palette for lead sounds, there’s a variety of options, often with dramatically different sounds for sounds you already have (strings, brass, guitars etc.), but it would be great to hear that the Kronos ‘plays nice’ at a deeper level of integration for style and style/arpeggiator use in a live setting...
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviving an old thread here.

I am looking to add an arranger to my setup, and just can't justify the price of the 76 key Pa4x new.

I found a 61 key at an excellent price, which I am considering purchasing.

My concern is every 61 keyboard I have always leaves me looking for a few keys in the lower register. The Kronos 73 suits me just fine. I am looking for the arranger for its functionality, and capabilities. I would also have this elevated (stacked) over the Kronos. So I'm not sure how comfortable it will be to play in that position.

Finally my question... Can I simply connect the two keyboards via MIDI and utilize my Kronos to trigger ALL of the capabilities of the Pa4x? I'll only be playing the one keyboard, just want the features of the Pa4x in my setup.

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I simply connect the two keyboards via MIDI and utilize my Kronos to trigger ALL of the capabilities of the Pa4x?

When you say ALL the capabilities, then the answer is NO (if you mean using KK as a full featured MIDI controller) but (keys only) then YES.
Things like JoyStick and possible slider bar will work.

I'm going to try this today and will report back... - I've always had mine connected the other way around.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
davekalbach

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Quote:
Can I simply connect the two keyboards via MIDI and utilize my Kronos to trigger ALL of the capabilities of the Pa4x?

When you say ALL the capabilities, then the answer is NO (if you mean using KK as a full featured MIDI controller) but (keys only) then YES.

Poor verbiage on my part. I'm looking to play the Kronos keybed but trigger the backing functions along with the first chord played as if I was playing the Pa4x. I understand I would still need to select Intros, Fills, Variations, etc manually.

Just trying to take advantage of the larger and better positioned keyboard (Kronos will be the lower keyboard on my rack)

Kronos 2, Pa5X, Drumlogue, Stageman 80, Korg D32XD Recorder
Many Guitars, Roland TD-6 V-Drums, a Trumpet (HELP)
And a Kimball Baby Grand Piano
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of what I thought you meant.

I've got to try that now (curiosity etc...) - I'll let you know what happens.

P Very Happy
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES - works fine.

Basic example:-

I used MIDI cable - KK MIDI-OUT to PA4X MIDI-IN
KK MIDI
....local OFF (unless you want to hear the KK sound too)
....GLOBAL>>MIDI>>Basic Channel=01
....Select (e.g.) Grand Piano PROGRAM

PA4X MIDI
...GLOBAL>>MENU>>MIDI>>MIDI CHANNEL IN>>set CH01="GLOBAL"
...Select (e.g.) any style

KK will control the PA as if it is the PA4X's keybed - also joystick works
Transpose works except the KK sends the transposed data but the actual transpose setting on the PA4X is unchanged (be careful of that one) - it also transposes the split point on the KK

Have fun - let me know how you go

Pete Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: