Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing live over a bass+drum midi track

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sosvos

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Playing live over a bass+drum midi track Reply with quote

Hi folks, newbie question here: I have to play some songs live along with a friend that sing and play guitar. No bass or drums. I was wondering if I can download midi files of the songs, load it on the sequencer, erase or mute all instruments minus bass and drums, and play along with that. But I have all the patches and sound changes arranged in setlist. When I load a midi file in the sequencer and want to play above it, I have only the sounds that came with the midi file. Is there any way to use that midi with my own sounds?

Other question: If that is not possible, can I use the RPPR to do the drum parts and trigger it from the patches I already have?

Thanks in advance!
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can perfectly do what you want on the Kronos

I typically 'clean' the midi files before I use them on the Kronos on a Windows PC Sequencer (remove the tracks you don't want; I typically have drums at Midi Ch 10, and bass either at Midi Ch 9 or 2; remove the program and bank changes, remove unwanted other control changes like pan and reverb,chorus settings, remove unwanted tempo settigns)

If you remove the program & bank changes, you are free on the Kronos to select which program to use for drums and bass (on first play it will likely use the default piano program A000 sound.)

You could do the midi edits also on the Kronos itself, but I prefer a standalone pc sequencer way.

As an alternative, you could also save a crucial/typical part of the drums as drumloop and use that in the Kronos as a drumpattern, together with a suitable Karma bassline

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
sosvos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AdDeRoo! Working on that now. Wink
AdDeRoo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One additional thing for drums: General Midi file drums are typically one octave different from the Kronos drum mapping. So when you play back a GM midi drum track with a Kronos drum kit, transpose +12. This can be done in the sequencer track settings. No need to transpose the notes in the midi file for that

Current gear : Korg Kronos 88 (SN 0979) / Nektar LX88+ / Korg PA2X / Kurzweil K2500R / Korg Nanopad2 / Neo Ventilator / Akai EWI USB / Cantabile / Reaper / Cakewalk / Reason / way too many VST's
Tfortexas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff I was just about to ask the same question! Is it possible to play the edited midi as a backing track while switching between programs in set list mode? I tried this but my midi playback would stop when I switched. Thanks !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: