Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Expression pedal volume use

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbobothy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Expression pedal volume use Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've just bought a Korg XVP 20 pedal to use with my SV1-88 and I've found the default volume (when using the expression jack) works back to front, ie. full volume is with the pedal pushed forward, volume (nearly) off is pedal lowered.

Is this what I can expect if I try another expression pedal?

Any thoughts would be appreciated folks.

Last edited by jimbobothy on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedal pushed with the toe = volume up, pedal pushed with the heel = volume down is the correct way round.

jimbobothy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Pedal pushed with the toe = volume up, pedal pushed with the heel = volume down is the correct way round.

Cheers voip, thanks for correcting me on that as I had no idea! I've ordered another expression pedal so I can compare their linearity anyhow.

I think I'll probably keep the XVP 20 as a decent stereo volume pedal anyhow now as you can't use both funtions at the same time (for obvious reasons Very Happy)

Thanks for your reply.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SV-1 pedal calibration allows expression pedals of either "polarity" to be taken into account. It also means that if the preference is for minimum volume to be with the pedal pushed fully forward, then starting the calibration with the pedal in this position will allow the SV-1 to work out that this is the minimum volume position.

The Korg XVP-20 pedal allows both functions i.e. stereo audio volume and expression to be used at the same time, because the potentiometers for each are completely separate, albeit sharing a common ground.

The XVP-20 expression potentiometer is a 50k linear one, whilst the volume potentiometers are each 50k log, with up to 50k more added to the bottom ends of the pots using the minimum volume control.

jimbobothy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your input voip.

I was thinking of using both at the same time (ie wah control and stereo volume) to be non compliant. Would you suggest using maybe the stereo volume with the expression controlling a MIDI function plausible concurrently?
jimbobothy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey again,

I've tried calibrating the pedal the opposite way, however the volume function does not work (there is sound but no volume change at all with the pedal up or down) but the wah function works the same as before (dark wah pedal heel down, bright wah pedal toe up).

Regarding the pot log/linear values, I do find that most of the business appears to happen at the top end with a larger increase in volume rate there when using the expression function, whereas the stereo volume appears more even across it's sweep.

I had hoped for the same feel when using both the stereo volume and expression volume but alas, not to be I think.

Peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG SV-1 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: