Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) reference
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) reference Reply with quote

I need a reference for a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that is light, efficient and reliable for my Pa4X and gigging in USA.
Thanks for any input.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pa4X has very low power consumption , so any 40$ cheap UPS <=100 Watts of <= 1 Kgr weight is suitable for it
no stabilizer is required since Pa4X SMPS PSU works perfectly in any range between 90 -300 Volts , you need
just the case that UPS will provide net power supply under electricity grid interrupts.

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Antony.
Should the UPS have to the battery option?
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPS function is based on battery supply , there is no term UPS without an included (Lead-Acid mostly) battery !
Example : https://www.ebay.com/itm/APC-BE350G-Back-UPS-350VA-200W-120V-Power-Battery-Backup-UPS-System-REF/232561306289?epid=134468113&hash=item3625bbeab1:g:KZAAAOSw3WxaCkt0

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got you...Very Happy
Thanks
Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Antony APC is a great UPS.-
I have this model Ups Apc Smart C 1000va 2u Rack, which match my hardware (Kronos, PA4x, Roland midi Patchbay, N1R module and Mackie ProFX16v2 mixer) and keeps full power for 45 minutes (tested & checked).- I've been using since last 8 months and zero problems, no noise, no interferences, excellent unit.- I included on a rack case with Korg N1r, Mackie and Roland midi patchbay.- Smart C 1000va is a reliable UPS for live gigs.
Hoping these helps you.
With regards.
Eduardo
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually APC is rather expensive and a 200 Watts UPS is already enough for Both Pa4X & Kronos that do not
need any protection at all , only ST-BY voltage from backup battery.
Is it ever possible to wait 45 minutes in blackout in front of the audience ? certainly not , you need only that
second of time when grid voltage goes temporary to zero , all other protections are a money wasting !

Just for example , I've designed a portable UPS for those both keyboards that use 3 Lion-polymer batteries
with DC to DC inverter in the size of 3 packets of cigarettes ( 300 grams/100W/n=96%) that can feed keyboards
for continuous 20 minutes during a complete grid blackout and already too much for gigging purposes ! Wink

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a UPS for my 2 Korgs.
I am not bothered about the "uninterrupted" component but more concerned about power "spikes" and "troughs"

Also I need one for Australian power (240V)

Any suggestions please?

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete , you should mostly interested of what your Kronos is concerned about and this is
strictly uninterrupted power supply !
I have explained many times (as a SMPS designer) , that all switching PSU that all keyboards
use in the latest 20 years , do not suffer from spikes and surge under/overvoltage , contrary their
DC filter eliminates completely any AC spike & noise and works perfectly under 80-300 volts !
The only that can't handle is voltage interruption with duration over 0.2 seconds and only UPS
can provide this only PSU requirement ...
Anyway the mentioned APC brand manufacture fine products you can use for all your gear together
(except Power amplifiers/self power loudspeakers) , with all required protections for any electronic
device/mixer. But also any PC ST-BY UPS 200W will work fine.

Hope this helps

Eduardo_Arg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete:

My UPS Apc Smart C 1000va 2u Rack, is for 220 /240 volt, because current energy is 220.- In my country you must use allways power protector, because energy fluctuates between 210 -+ 238, so this is the only way to be sure our keyboards don't blown up.-
APC is a reliable brand, and as i mention last long time.- I choose the rack model because it fits on a rack case with sound modules and mixer.-
Hoping these info helps you.-
With regards. Eduardo
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eduardo_Arg wrote:
In my country you must use allways power protector, because energy fluctuates
between 210 -+ 238, so this is the only way to be sure our keyboards don't blown up.

Eduardo , I just wrote that 80 to 300V flactuations are "breakfast" for Pa4X PSU , focus on real UPS requirments
that your Pa4X needs , actually it will never blow up , only hang you in your gig in any instant voltage interruption !

BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally bought a APC Back-UPS and I will use it for live performance in different locations, indoor or outdoor gigs.
Question:
The Manual says;
"Connect the UPS power cable directly to a wall outlet. Do not use surge protectors or extension cords."

Problem is, I don't have always the wall outlet available close enough to my setup, and the APC's power cord won't reach it. So I have to use an extension cord.
Can I connect the UPS to an extension cord?
What's your suggestion/experience?

Thanks
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have written , "do not use low current extension cables" !
You can use any industrial 3 lines extension cable of 5-10 Amperes , stretched in a straight line and not in a bun ,
but never use in serial those junk surge protectors , that are totally useless and dangerous for SMPS PSU !

Hope this helps

mstodola

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tripp Lite makes some small units as small as 180W. That's a good brand. I don't know what is available in Australia.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonySharmman wrote:
You can use any industrial 3 lines extension cable of 5-10 Amperes , stretched in a straight line and not in a bun ,

Hi Antony,
I bought an extension cord with below specifications, the Ampere is 15, Is it OK?
3 Conductor Grounded
15A-125V-1875W
25ft./7.6m
Oil Resistant
Water Resistant
Flame Retardant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: