Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to hook up Alesis Vortex wireless to Krome (help)...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keys1515

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Trying to hook up Alesis Vortex wireless to Krome (help)... Reply with quote

Hi, trying to hook up a midi controller (Keytar) to the Krome since the RK-100S was discontinued. The Alesis Vortex is a wireless unit that has a Dongle. I hooked up the dongle but nothing happens. Any advice? I used a standard midi cord and it works fine but I want to go wireless on stage.

Thank You!!
CherryPistolKeys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same questions. How did you attach the dongle to the Krome; did you use a USB adapter?

I have a "flat" USB to "square" USB adapter I bought online, but have not bought a Vortex yet because I need to find out if the Vortex will work with the Krome.
Kurzweil K2000 and K2000R
Roland D-50
Roland Jupiter 8
Roland A-30
Alesis QSR
tookiet04

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my post
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=112050
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't just covert a (square) USB B connector to a "flat" USB A connector, and then hook it up to another B connector - then you'd be hooking two USB B connections together, and USB doesn't work that way...USB A is a "master" connector that supplies power, initializes, and manages the connection, and USB B is a "slave" which depends on the A connector to power, initialize, and operate the connection...typically the A connection is on a computer that is USB class compliant, or has a driver to operate the connection...some synthesizers (like the Kronos) can do this too, so you can hook up something like the Vortex, if it has a MIDI-USB-class-compliant B connector, directly to the synth's A connector (although a lot of synths with an A connector can't do this, they are not MIDI USB class compliant and only use the A connector for flash disks / data storage). Otherwise you could use a USB MIDI-to-USB-B adapter; here's some more info I previously posted:

The Krome USB B interface is not USB MIDI class compliant, it needs a Korg driver at the other (USB A) end. I've used a Kenton USB MIDI Host to connect an external MIDI controller that has a class-compliant USB B interface (a Roli Seaboard RISE) to the Krome. The Kenton device has a USB MIDI class compliant A connector that connects to the controller's USB B connector, and standard 5-pin MIDI In and MIDI Out connectors that connect to the KROME. The Kenton USB MIDI Host is kind of hard to find, and not cheap (like $100+). If the Alesis Vortex works with a USB wireless connection to the Kronos, which is USB MIDI class compliant, it should work with the Kenton adapter to the Krome...see:
http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml.

You can also build your own MIDI-to-USB A converter using a pre-programmed adapter from:
http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-midi
...it's cheaper than the Kenton device, but you have to know what you are doing electronically, be handy with a soldering iron, etc...I don't know of any USB B to USB B adapters, although it could be done...

Nothing complicated about this, eh? Good luck...

df
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: