Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying a Kronos 2 but keeping the old Kronos 1 as a backup?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phinnin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Buying a Kronos 2 but keeping the old Kronos 1 as a backup? Reply with quote

So I think my budget and planning schedule are pointing towards a new Kronos. The old one (K61, SN 220) it still rocking hard but I've always wanted a super clean backup rig and given the age of the K1, I think buying an upgrade for newer hardware alone makes it worth it.

The idea would be to get a Kronos 2 and figure out a way to have it be the main horse, but have the K1 as a backup. I would be willing to sacrifice the new functionality of the K2 (berlin grand, etc) in order to achieve this. The idea being a run a flash-drive from machine to machine to keep both rigs with identical .ksc/.pcg loads to make them identical.

Am I going to have trouble with this? Can I just load a Kronos 2 with all my libraries from the old machine? (I have no purchased libraries that I "need"). What I don't want to have to do is recreate all my combi's and sequences to line up with new locations for all my programs, samples, etc.

Seems doable but something is haunting me that the basic preload.ksc may be the issue.

Thoughts?
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't have any issues keeping the two machines in sync, except for any purchased Exs sound libraries. Essentially you would just ignore the preload.pcg that comes on the new machine and use your own from your existing Kronos 1. Just save everything from your existing Kronos and load it into the new one.

The only other thing that may be worth considering (and one of the reasons I'm holding off on a second Kronos purchase) is that Winter NAMM 2018 is only a couple of months away and there's always a possibility that a Kronos successor or update may be announced then.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently did this. My original stays home and the new K2 stays at church. I just bring a flash drive back and forth. I used the start-up file from the K1 in the K2 so the factory sounds would be the same. I do use some custom samples so I copied those into the K2 and added to the auto-load in Global. I edit every week and play out of the Set-List.

I save the programs each week which includes programs, combinations, setlists, and I believe some more like drum tracks and wave sequences.

Load it up at church and they are the same.
Now the guitar guys are carrying more than me! Ha Ha!

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Kronos 2 but keeping the old Kronos 1 as a back Reply with quote

Phinnin wrote:
So I think my budget and planning schedule are pointing towards a new Kronos. The old one (K61, SN 220) it still rocking hard but I've always wanted a super clean backup rig and given the age of the K1, I think buying an upgrade for newer hardware alone makes it worth it.

The idea would be to get a Kronos 2 and figure out a way to have it be the main horse, but have the K1 as a backup. I would be willing to sacrifice the new functionality of the K2 (berlin grand, etc) in order to achieve this. The idea being a run a flash-drive from machine to machine to keep both rigs with identical .ksc/.pcg loads to make them identical.

Am I going to have trouble with this? Can I just load a Kronos 2 with all my libraries from the old machine? (I have no purchased libraries that I "need"). What I don't want to have to do is recreate all my combi's and sequences to line up with new locations for all my programs, samples, etc.

Seems doable but something is haunting me that the basic preload.ksc may be the issue.

Thoughts?

Looks like you won't have any issues.

If you gig, or have some commitment that is important, it would seem having a 2nd K is the best while an expensive solution.

I also suggest waiting another 2 months for Jan NAMM. Just to be on the bleeding edge, in a way.

I notice +60 Kronos on our US eBay so there is no problem with supply.

As you know, you can go go simple and cheaper with a basic backup. The MOX and Casio are good machines.

FTI, I was also leaning to a 2nd , new Keonos. Home recording musician. But I have changed my thinking and getting a Roland FA as my 2nd pr 'backup' W/s.
I happen to think its impressive and its about $2000 less. Hmmmmmm Smile

Korg does have Kronos w/s competition. Most definitely.
Phinnin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the help, input.

I will probably wait for Namm but I'm guessing nothing new will break... just a hunch

As far as a cheaper backup: I agree there are options and I auditioned a bunch of them. But the truth is, I delve pretty deep into the Kronos with my band's set list (custom samples, lots of huge combi's, sequences, karma scenes, etc) so finding a backup that wouldn't be horribly wounded would be tough. I thought of a main stage rig but then my cost would be similar and I'd still spend a ton of time re-programming. To have a turnkey backup solution would be huge.

Given we get a decent amount of gigs where a failure would be catastrophic, I want to have a stress free solution. To update the aging hardware in the K1 will be nice too.
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems you are not alone in that thinking. And I know I am not alone on this either. I primarily purchased a second Kronos as a backup. For some reason, the Kronos being so complex and capable... and software driven, (rather than firmware alone), leaves us with the impression it is more vunerable to unthinkable loss.
I have never regretted owning more than one Kronos. I have purchased a number of libraries from Korg, which has been my only thorn, but I try to include it in the "total cost per keyboard", thinking. I just wish we could at least get a discount if we buy the same library more than once Sad

It does give me some peace of mind to know that I can switch the first one off, and turn to the second for the same sounds. It is also useful to double polyphony if I desire, though I've yet to put that into serious practice.
Sometimes I use one as a scratchpad to audition sounds. It can be useful, when I want to re organise my prg/cmb into a new configuration, while turning on my seat to reference the existing config on the other Kronos without having to save and reload the old version
Smile
Phinnin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so the fresh K2-61 is coming... Stoked.

I do gig, and being the guy booking, I don't want to be the one who has the gig-killing malfunction. Guitarist can plug into the board straight with a $50 Squire and "get by". Us Kronos owners know that like driving a Porsche, there simply is "No Substitute". Any solution that can do everything a Kronos can do (high end .vst rig) will cost as much as the Kronos will anyway (maybe subject to debate). I do run heavy combis with Karma (for zone work and routing), Sequence MIDI and Audio, and sample a lot so a Yamaha mx49 doesn't work THAT well.

It does feel weird buying a brand new workstation for a ton of money to EXACTLY REPLICATE the last keyboard you own. But I guess that's a testament to the power of the beast: 6 years later, your happy to spend the money to have the same rig, and have a backwards compatible, just with latest generation hardware. Polyphony and redundancy are sexy when you're an old man! lol.

Not sure of the optics of this situation however. Do Keyboard players who have 2 of the same KB automatically lose "style points"? Aren't we supposed to have variety? I guess Keytars count for variety?
laandodeman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
. I just bring a flash drive back and forth. I used the start-up file from the K1 in the K2 so the factory sounds would be the same.

Geo

How exactly are you doing that Geo?
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure of the optics of this situation however. Do Keyboard players who have 2 of the same KB automatically lose "style points"? Aren't we supposed to have variety? I guess Keytars count for variety?

On the contrary, I've noticed that the Kronos is one of the few keyboards which often presents itself in plural amongst performers, either live or studio.

It's also a keyboard which to some extent is a blank canvas until it has been "personalised" by the owner with loaded sound libraries. Excepting the inbuilt ROM sounds, 2 Kronos could be loaded as quite different personalities.
Even though I have my second as a backup, I do in day to day use have some different libraries loaded on each. So it's like I have 2 different synths Very Happy

It can kind of be whatever you want it to be Exclamation
leonh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why two because there is nothing better out there I tried not to like Kronos so I got Roland FA 06 sold it Yamaha MOXF 6 sold it got Montage close but no Kronos sold it went to music shop played Kronos for couple of hours and I said to myself what I am thinking this is the one simple as that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: