Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

System Startup Failed - New Kronos
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Satori

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: System Startup Failed - New Kronos Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

It's been years since I've been dreaming to buy Kronos and the day finally came last week. I am really in awe of this instrument. But let me cut to the chase...

I haven't turned it on more than ten times this first week, and I have already received a "System Startup Failed" message three times. When I turn it back off and on it works fine, but this is definitely not good for a brand new expensive instrument. I have already contacted the seller and a technician and I am waiting for a response. But to be honest, I have more trust in this forum and the hundreds of years of accumulated experience.

So, do you guys know if this is a known issue, if there is a quick fix or is it something I should be worried about? I would appreciate any advice. You know the feeling when you buy a Kronos. At the moment I am full of enthusiasm and frustration!

Thank you in advance,
Stavros

PS. Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I tried searching in the forum but I got millions of relative results, but nothing exactly like it.
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try an UPS. That should solve the problem.
Satori

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer! Can you please elaborate on that? Why is a UPS needed and how it is connected with the startup fail? I thought its use is for protection in case the power is cut off.
leonh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have regular problems with your electricity supply (Kronos is apparently sensitive to it) then if that is not the case you bought it new ask for another one.
By the way I bought mine last week too and I got UPS as well just in case.
Satori

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
Unless you have regular problems with your electricity supply (Kronos is apparently sensitive to it) then if that is not the case you bought it new ask for another one.

Hmm.. When I switch the lights on or off in the hall, my TV in the living room turns black and recovers in a second. Does that count for an electricity supply problem?
jbeliz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common problems could be your ram card needs replaced or may have came loose or your ssd drive is failing or just needs to be reformatted with the DVDs that came with your Kronos, it usually is not anything major but start troubleshooting these items.
NormC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satori wrote:
leonh wrote:

Hmm.. When I switch the lights on or off in the hall, my TV in the living room turns black and recovers in a second. Does that count for an electricity supply problem?

If that really happens you definitely have an electricity problem. Get a UPS soon.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something about the Kronos 2 with the new motherboard where this is a more common issue, I think. I had an original Kronos and I very, very rarely ran into this but with my Kronos 2 I've seen this 3-4 times in my first weeks of ownership. I really don't think it's the RAM or power. Power has never been an issue in the past and I doubt it is now. I suspect it's getting unhung with something during start up, likely USB related. I have one USB going into an iConnecivity mio10 and the other is an Apple USB network adapter.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV "going black" when turning the lights on is a serious matter. Lights are, in general, a relatively light electrical load, and should not cause this phenomenon. The electrical system in the property is urgently in need of a through check out. Having a UPS is a must in these circumstances.

leonh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satori wrote:
leonh wrote:

Definitely yes as others said get UPS
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is something about the Kronos 2 with the new motherboard where this is a more common issue, I think. I had an original Kronos and I very, very rarely ran into this but with my Kronos 2 I've seen this 3-4 times in my first weeks of ownership. I really don't think it's the RAM or power. Power has never been an issue in the past and I doubt it is now. I suspect it's getting unhung with something during start up, likely USB related. I have one USB going into an iConnecivity mio10 and the other is an Apple USB network adapter.

Busch.

I'm still thinking it's power related, and maybe the nature of a different switch mode power supply in the Kronos 2. I've had the issue lately too, where when I first turn on after it being off for a longer period of time, (like overnight), it would happen. I notice the HDD light would remain lit from the first instance the power was switched on, and remain so, then the error message would appear a few seconds later.
When switched off and on again, all was ok. Also if I powered off for a short while then on again, it wouldn't happen.

It was the fact that the HDD light was permanently on from the first instance which twigged me to a possible "unclean" power up. I had recently swapped out the standard power lead for a slightly lighter version along with a different electrical power board, thinking that the Kronos being only 60W shouldn't be a problem, but what I didn't take into account was the higher current inrush when first powering up as the power supply capacitors charged up. For me, this would explain the successful re-power within a short period of time, and the fact that when it failed, a restart would be successful, as the current inrush was much less, and a clean power up occurred.

My domestic power supply is excellent, and I do have a UPS as a backup during storms. I've not had the boot-up error while using the UPS

I know it is a generic error message, and it seems to me that at what point the error message occurs, and noticing the behaviour of other indicators, such as the HDD, and without diagnostic info, helps to pinpoint the area of boot-up the problem occurs. In my instance, pretty fundamental power stability.

Satori...from the description of your house electrical wiring behaviour, I would say unstable power for sure. A UPS would be a good start!

Chris
Satori

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for you the answers. It drove me crazy because I just bought this jewel. I really appreciate this community. For starters I bought a simple multi socket surge protector for safety. I'm getting a UPS asap.
Satori

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, should I buy a UPS which also functions as a voltage regulator? Is that a must?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think like most people before and had way too much confidence in electricity/utility companies. I live in a large city where such services are owned and regulated by the government and it doesn't matter - anything can happen at anytime.

Where I live currently, electric noise and voltage irregularities happen almost every week, not to mention outages. It doesn't take much for my UPS to switch on battery mode and every time I'm glad as it protects my computer and Kronos (which is in fact a computer disguised as a musical instrument).

About ten years ago, in an apartment I used to rent, while surfing on the Net one night I realized that the lamp in the room suddenly became almost as strong as the sun. I thought the bulb was simply giving up as it was probably too old, but all the lamps in the other rooms did the same thing. I rapidly turned off the PC, disconnected my most expensive electronic things and thought to measure the AC voltage in one outlet using my multimeter. Instead of the usual 120 V, the reading was around 158 V. Shocked

After this lasted at least 15 minutes, several people in the neighborhood lost appliances and fire even started in a few homes (imagine your oven or stove on during such a lovely event). I didn't have an UPS back then.

Just a reminder that this can happen anywhere and even in large cities. Protect your expensive equipment.
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satori wrote:
Guys, should I buy a UPS which also functions as a voltage regulator? Is that a must?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/APCB4/pages/14249609031
That is what I have UPS and voltage regulator is it a must think how much you did pay for Kronos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: