Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Expansion/ Ram Memory/ loading sounds/ deleting comb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Kronos Expansion/ Ram Memory/ loading sounds/ deleting comb Reply with quote

I have an 88 Kronos. Purchase in 2015 with the latest version software that provides quick splits.

Here are my issues. I play in three different bands and save user space as songs. which are basically custom combinations to get the sounds I need.

My memory readings follow in global settings

1316 mb in user/internal 0 sampling and 654 mb Free

Questions. Do I need to expand my RAM memory. And what authorized dealer in the San Francisco bay Area does that work. Don't want to do it myself.

I loaded the EX 16 successfully and have the current OS system. Now I want to load the EX 18 but not certain I have enough space.

I also got in the bad habit of adding comb patches ie named songs (they are just keyboard layers and splits that I no longer need. Taking up space. How do I delete a specific comb (song title) that I developed. When I go to initialize on the drop down; it will kill all combi in the bank. I just want to loose a few .

Help please.

thanks

Note I am not a techical. Just a player. So I apologize in advance for the ignorance.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Kronos Expansion/ Ram Memory/ loading sounds/ deleting c Reply with quote

Ragu wrote:
I have an 88 Kronos. Purchase in 2015 with the latest version software that provides quick splits.

Here are my issues. I play in three different bands and save user space as songs. which are basically custom combinations to get the sounds I need.

My memory readings follow in global settings

1316 mb in user/internal 0 sampling and 654 mb Free

Questions. Do I need to expand my RAM memory. And what authorized dealer in the San Francisco bay Area does that work. Don't want to do it myself.

I loaded the EX 16 successfully and have the current OS system. Now I want to load the EX 18 but not certain I have enough space.

I also got in the bad habit of adding comb patches ie named songs (they are just keyboard layers and splits that I no longer need. Taking up space. How do I delete a specific comb (song title) that I developed. When I go to initialize on the drop down; it will kill all combi in the bank. I just want to loose a few .

Help please.

thanks

Note I am not a techical. Just a player. So I apologize in advance for the ignorance.

my strategy is simple.

If I perform in 3 bands I have a custom PCG file for each band.

You have to organize band "A"'s material to be saved on "A" PCG file.
For example. Band B gets their own PCG file. Etc, etc
Ragu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg C. thanks for the reply. I think I understand what you are saying.

Create separate PCG file for each band (group of Songs) with components of each song from the combi in each unique PCG file.

I am not certain about the process of doing this. Are their instructions on how to do this.

Also since I have these combi's stored in user Banks A and B already, how do I move them to the PCG file. And How do I erase them from the User bank.

By going in this direction, though; each time I change to a new band rehearsal, e times a week, I will be reloading the files. Correct???

Again, thanks for the counsel on this. I get the concept just very poor in the actual execution..

Best
Ken (Ragu)
Ragu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create separate PCG file for each band (group of Songs) with components of each song from the combi in each unique PCG file.

I am not certain about the process of doing this. Are their instructions on how to do this.

Also since I have these combi's stored in user Banks A and B already, how do I move them to the PCG file. And How do I erase them from the User bank.

By going in this direction, though; each time I change to a new band rehearsal, e times a week, I will be reloading the files. Correct???

Again, thanks for the counsel on this. I get the concept just very poor in the actual execution..

Best
Ken (Ragu)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragu wrote:

Best
Ken (Ragu)

I am thinking that having a ' clean ' PCG for each band might be tedious to set up.

Another idea, since you have every combi established for all 3 bands, is to have a set list for each band.

Since many folks here gig like you, set list might be the easiest set up for you.

Lets wait a day for our expert gigging Kronos to recommend what to do.

But you should get familiar with the Kronos file system. If you don't get that skill, its going to be tough.

Korg has excellent video on this- you should watch it
Ragu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg. Regarding set lists. That is what I have been doing now. Taking the combi's in User A and B and creating a song list for each.

I am wondering though, how to remove some of these combis in user A and B
Taking up memory, which I could use to add new sounds developed by KORG , KR PRo and others.

What about adding more RAM.

Again, thanks for the input
Best
Ken
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragu wrote:
Greg. Regarding set lists. That is what I have been doing now. Taking the combi's in User A and B and creating a song list for each.

I am wondering though, how to remove some of these combis in user A and B
Taking up memory, which I could use to add new sounds developed by KORG , KR PRo and others.

What about adding more RAM.

Again, thanks for the input
Best
Ken

To 'over write' an existing combi, I think you have to copy an Init (blank) Combi over it.

Combis by themselves take up very little hard drive space .

It sounds like you only have 2 gig Ram. Its not clear which Kronos you have, I am guessing the 1st Kronos 88, which is what I have.

If so, you should add another 2 gig RAM. Which is what most owners have done.

If you have the X( I think the X has 4) or K2, you are maxed out on RAM as Korg did bring RAM to 4 gig.
Ragu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Adding Ram to Kronos Reply with quote

Greg. thanks for the reply. I have only two gigs of memory. What authorized dealer do I take the Korg Kronos to so that they may add the additional 2 gigs of memory.

Noticed you are also in the Bay Area. Who would you recommend. Not confident to do it myself.

thanks
Ken
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a recommend - been lucky in that I haven't required factory service.

Korg USA has a good list of auth service centers on their web site.

As upgrades go, its not overly difficult.

Back in 2011, Martin Hines did an excellent step by step with photos on adding RAM

You might dig that up to get more comfort.

If you go the service center route, also ask for a 2nd SSD install.

Then you will be set
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: