Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording real time track volume changes in sequencer.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twshort

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Recording real time track volume changes in sequencer. Reply with quote

Hello wise Kronos users! This is my first post, and I'm very grateful for any responses to my question.

What I want to do is record a combi by with multiple tracks at once, and adjust the volume of tracks independently, and have those movements recorded.

So far, I create a combi, press Enter and Rec/Write to set up to record. I check "multi rec" button to record all tracks simultaneously. However, when I play the song back, at the first moment that I adjusted one of the track volumes, all sliders line up and all tracks adjust volume at the same time, completely ruining my creation. I want to be able to fade sounds in and out, while recording all tracks.

What am I doing wrong?

Tim
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Recording real time track volume changes in sequencer. Reply with quote

Twshort wrote:
Hello wise Kronos users! This is my first post, and I'm very grateful for any responses to my question.

What I want to do is record a combi by with multiple tracks at once, and adjust the volume of tracks independently, and have those movements recorded.

So far, I create a combi, press Enter and Rec/Write to set up to record. I check "multi rec" button to record all tracks simultaneously. However, when I play the song back, at the first moment that I adjusted one of the track volumes, all sliders line up and all tracks adjust volume at the same time, completely ruining my creation. I want to be able to fade sounds in and out, while recording all tracks.

What am I doing wrong?

Tim

could be they are all sharing the same midi channel.

when in SONG mode, press Track Parameter
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Combi based on internal sounds only -is going to auto-setup in sequencer on the global channel only for all used tracks.
That means all tracks are transmiting on the same midi channel and receiving all the same messages that come through that one midi channel. It doesn't matter if the message was controlled from one track, it will go to all tracks set to the same midi channel.

Audio tracks would be a different story.

I tried putting midi tracks in overdub preference and recording in Master track and so on. The single midi Channeling remains the issue.

https://youtu.be/ZHj7_8ETrO4
This is a good video to watch but no clear solution about your issue

You have the option of setting up a bus from midi tracks to be recorded in audio tracks and then you can overdub your volume changes over individual audio tracks without the midi channel issue in the way.
I think the video has a part that shows how to setup buss to record midi track output to Audio tracks. It can be tedious getting each midi track to its own audio track but once you do that, you will have audio track recording flexibility in the way you are looking for.
With 4 bus options, you could do the midi tracks all in one take to Audio tracks if the combi you started with has only 4 timbres and stereo pairing isn't needed per each timbre/track program.

The only way I can think to make It work out with only midi tracks, is that each track has its own midi channel. That ends up cutting off global access to internal sounds in your tracks - BUT 4 karma modules could bypass that limitation. My karma routed track volume sliders are not moving with the rest because karma allows each karmafied track to have its own midi output and still sound out global channel sounds without the global input control changes slipping through.
Karma software more than doubles the modules you get and that will let you at least have 8 midi channels able to sound out GCh internal sounds but output them on independent midi channels for the functionality you are looking for.

Use Karma midi I/O and bypass the issue with each module per track. You can have 5 independent channels with karma routing 4 and global being 1. With karma software, you can do twice as many. I just got the results you want , using karma midi I/O.

Again. The other option is to bus the midi tracks to record to audio tracks. It is a great option but can be tedious depending on what arrangement you have with stereo requirements per track.

I am hoping i am missing a simple tap of the screen or hidden button to make things work easily as you tried for. Maybe someone will show up in the comments with the secret. Otherwise these workarounds are there to be had.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once a combi (using Karma and many tracks each on channel 1) is recorded in the sequencer, you can, after that, give to each track of the combi recorded a different number to each channel and then, at the evidence, (using overdub) mix each volume channel as you desire.

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:
Once a combi (using Karma and many tracks each on channel 1) is recorded in the sequencer, you can, after that, give to each track of the combi recorded a different number to each channel and then, at the evidence, (using overdub) mix each volume channel as you desire.

I tried that and it works to make automated and independent track mix but defeats the midi track channel link for midi notes to send to internal sounds to be played. You end up with sliders doing what you want but actual midi notes disconnected for a full effect of no sound despite the intended automated fader movements in midi tracks.
Or did I miss something I need to know?
pete.m

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't think you're missing anything. I guess you would then need to copy all the midi notes from channel 1 to all the other channels that were part of the combi - just a few button pushes, and it's done. Then it would work, although it would no longer be a combi in the strictest sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: