Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you search for drum patterns?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenophile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: How do you search for drum patterns? Reply with quote

I'll be playing some small, sort of coffee-house gigs with my regular band, but without a drummer. I'm programming up a Combi for each song, and would like to add a basic drum track to each one. But with the hundreds (thousands?) of pre-programmed patterns in the Kronos, it's difficult/time-consuming to search for a pattern that works. I would imagine that some of you have faced a similar problem.

I click to open up the menu of patterns, and scroll for a likely candidate by name (but the names aren't always particularly helpful). But if I click on one in the menu, that pattern is selected and the menu closes. It seems the only way to keep the menu open is to click the increment/decrement buttons to step through the patterns one at a time. Then I end up step, step, stepping through a bunch of inappropriate patterns (often losing the groove I had in my head) until I find something suitable.

What if the bandleader says, "Find me a groove for 'Sittin On the Dock of the Bay' or 'Let's Stay Together'?" How would you do that quickly?
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you search for drum patterns? Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:

if I click on one in the menu, that pattern is selected and the menu closes

There is a SAFETY PIN icon (upper left). Tap it closed and the window will stay open. Tap it open and the window can be closed.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you search for drum patterns? Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
I'll be playing some small, sort of coffee-house gigs with my regular band, but without a drummer. I'm programming up a Combi for each song, and would like to add a basic drum track to each one. But with the hundreds (thousands?) of pre-programmed patterns in the Kronos, it's difficult/time-consuming to search for a pattern that works. I would imagine that some of you have faced a similar problem.

I click to open up the menu of patterns, and scroll for a likely candidate by name (but the names aren't always particularly helpful). But if I click on one in the menu, that pattern is selected and the menu closes. It seems the only way to keep the menu open is to click the increment/decrement buttons to step through the patterns one at a time. Then I end up step, step, stepping through a bunch of inappropriate patterns (often losing the groove I had in my head) until I find something suitable.

What if the bandleader says, "Find me a groove for 'Sittin On the Dock of the Bay' or 'Let's Stay Together'?" How would you do that quickly?

we have 2 things to play with.

Drum tracks(DT) and Karma drums

I agree with you and have had the same fumbling around experience.

The DT has slightly descriptive title such as Pop this/that , rock, jazz, and so on.
The Pop and Rock DT's typical 4 bar stuff, you can get by on.

Thats not much to go on plus you have to work on tempo and assign a drum kit.
DT suggests a kit, from what I recall.

Sometimes I have a specific idea like ambient drum kits.

Karma drums are more useful in that there is much more variation . Again, finding a 'match ' for a particular song is time consuming.

Other folks are content to tap out their own drum pattern. I have done that on occasion but often DT is better for tempo/time.

As you can tell, its a challenge for me. Looking forward to what other owners say.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That will help. Maybe I missed it... But is there no way to search through drum patterns by entering text? For example "6/8" Maybe there's a magnifying glass or binoculars icon I'm ignoring.
Mike Conway
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
But is there no way to search through drum patterns by entering text? For example "6/8"

No, but selecting Drum program and clicking on the KARMA tab, you can select a KARMA drum pattern and change its Time Signature to 6/8 or whatever you see here.

This is different than DRUM KIT. There are Drum Kit patterns and there are KARMA drum patterns. I suggest you take a day or two and just go through all the patterns. Note the ones you can use.

There's no shortcut to getting to know the Kronos. I have personally gone through every multisample and most drum samples, of every ROM, EXs factory bank, and new library, so that I know what raw resource material is available.
You should do this with KARMA and DRUM KIT patterns.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Lots to learn. I've only had the Kronos for 2 weeks, and haven't really touched Karma, other than to implement a trick I learned from a post here to get Damper and Expression pedal controllers to work on timbres being played by both the Kronos keyboard and an external midi/usb keyboard. That is a critical function for me. I'm not sure how much it might limit other things I might want to do with Karma.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: