Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Assignable foot controller confusion - onging

View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicbysterling

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Assignable foot controller confusion - onging Reply with quote

I am still having difficulty in wrapping my brain around how to assign my foot controller. I have had it set in Global to CC#11, but am now discovering that in certain Programs or Combis I would like the controller to control other things than simply Expression. if I set the foot controller to CC#04 in Global Mode, will I be able to assign it in a Program to volume or any other function I may find the need to?
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some controls are fixed assignments and others are assignable only over global channel.
You may have a chance if you find a parameter with an AMS option as foot switch or pedal . Or find a control assignable in program or tone adjust with foot controls on the list of assignments.
Like having SW 1&2 assigned to knobs or the knobs assigned to SW 1&2. If you move the knob, it will light up or light out the SW light. One control controls the other control and whatever CC# is under the remote controlled controller, will be messaged out.

You may not be always lucky with foot control as I saw in parameter guide page 1113. But it says you can have some luck if you find AMS with your foot controller on the source list. D.MOD in effects.

It also says that setting to CC#04 is the place to start for the program level AMS assignments available.

Last edited by 19naia on Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:35 am; edited 1 time in total
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 1110 parameter guide days CC# 17,19,20 & 21 are knob 5-8 CC#'s.
If you set foot control to any of these CC#'s then go to the knob settings in program or tone adjust, you can set the knobs to any CC you like and then foot control will engage the knob which will send the CC# it (the knob) is set to send. Tandem or remote control of one control by the other.

A number of ways to go about it. Knobs 5-8 and SW 1 & 2 are special cases but there is also a knob 1-8 assignment for foot switch. You may be able to get the foot controller doing multiple things and several times over across several timbres via tone adjust.

I was trying yesterday to get foot switch to control an external device from kronos but had no luck until I plugged it direct into external device and put another foot switch in kronos for kronos control over JS Y-.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The global channel control setup is easier to work with because you don't have the added strain of keeping up with what is transmitting over what midi channel.
Global implies it is all on one channel. I have iPad on global channel by default iPad auto midi. Then my drum pattern + bass module in channels 10 and 11. It really gets confusing trying to get pedal control assignment working between 3 midi channels between 3 devices. So I have two foot pedals in two devices.

I foresee myself getting another external midi hardware unit just to run more pedals and controls over extra midi channeis for extra and isolated control input. Preferably something like my compact drum pattern+bass module that can take 4 pedals at once and read two pedals from one input jack.
LZ
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer setting it to 4 since it works as it should automatically on all CX3 organ sounds. If I want it to control anything else, I have to set that up manually, but the beauty is that I can set the parameter to "foot controller" and it works. Usually when I want to use it for volume other than organ, I'm doing something like pulling strings into a layer, in which case I only want it to control one of two sounds anyway, which is accomplished as an IFX using foot control.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Assignable foot controller confusion - onging confusion Reply with quote

First of all, I want to thank everyone who has replied to my original post regarding Foot Controller issues I'm having.
That being said, the confusion and insanity still continues on this end:(

So far what I have done is go into the Global Mode and changed to Foot Controller assignment from CC#11 to CC#04. As suspected, my ability now to use the Foot Controller to control Expression in all my Programs and Combinations is now gone. So what I have done is go into a Program, in this case INT-D 046: 80s Poly Synth and started searching for a volume source that I can assign CC#04 to.
I'm coming up blank, staring blurry eyed at each page and parameter in search of something to control volume with and assign it to CC#04.I can assign the pedal to the Drive AMS assignment in the Amp/Driver page and set that parameter to +99, but that's only affecting the volume of that parameter.

Am I just plain clueless that this can even be done? When I go to the Control Surface page, all I can see are the parameters for the knobs, switches and sliders. Likewise when I'm in Combination mode, I'm finding nothing that I can select here as well.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place to look in is the effects editing section. The usual effects that can be/are used for expression are e.g. a compressor effect, or an amp model. Look in the gain adjust section for "Source", which will open up a list of possible sources. Choose CC#04 and then set a non-zero value for the amount.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: