Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NAMM 2018 is near. What do you wish for? Your predictions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Sharp
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jan 2002
Posts: 17722
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

megamarkd wrote:


That's a good idea, only I don't know how to code..... Crying or Very sad


I can build us a 64bit Sample Engine that can stream samples. Really all we need to do is discuss the hardware and what approach to take on a build.

Regards
Sharp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Broadwave
Platinum Member


Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 988
Location: Manchester UK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARP2600

I'd be surprised if Korg wasn't working on this.
_________________
Kronos 2 88, Roland System-8, Novation Ultranova, Yamaha MX, ARP Odyssey, Broadwave ARP 2600EX, Broadwave Sparta, Broadwave Minimoog, Broadwave Modular, Fender Deluxe Plus Top (iOS), Broadwave 12 String Telecaster

Synth DIY Projects
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
demonp
Senior Member


Joined: 20 Feb 2006
Posts: 368
Location: Hungary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish a workstation with really nice modern samples in it, not the reissue of something from 80th. Where Orchestra is really an orchestra, violin is really a violin etc. Choirs to add words to sing. Why they still use MBs in memory instead of GB? The loading speed for fully packed Kronos is rediculous. There are tons of possibilities to upgrade. I know all of this we already have in software, but why not in hardware, packed in a sturdy metal case. The interface more user friendly like in smartphone apps.
_________________
Gear: roland Juno-G, korg x5dr, Monologue, e-mu 0404
www.reason.hu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 6012
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

demonp wrote:
I wish a workstation with really nice modern samples in it, not the reissue of something from 80th. Where Orchestra is really an orchestra, violin is really a violin etc. Choirs to add words to sing. Why they still use MBs in memory instead of GB? The loading speed for fully packed Kronos is rediculous. There are tons of possibilities to upgrade. I know all of this we already have in software, but why not in hardware, packed in a sturdy metal case. The interface more user friendly like in smartphone apps.


Kronos has old tech, at least 6 yrs old.

I personally don't think substantial tweaking of it makes much long term sense
My guess is that we might see some small or minor changes, think low cost.

If Korg does decide to do a game changer ( not sure this is the best term) type W/s, a mostly new approach, including UI, power, sounds, capability, is what makes more sense. A new, re-imagined W/s. Not a copy cat.
_________________
Kronos 88. nanoPAD2. MBP
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Koekepan
Senior Member


Joined: 27 Sep 2016
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
If Korg does decide to do a game changer ( not sure this is the best term) type W/s, a mostly new approach, including UI, power, sounds, capability, is what makes more sense. A new, re-imagined W/s. Not a copy cat.


I generally agree with your analysis, but this is one reason I keep talking about a decomposable workstation - where the architecture is the static part, and the workstation can be assembled, expanded and upgraded piecemeal as resources and needs change. AIRA is so close to this concept it hurts - almost as if Roland got a great idea, and then saw a shiny coin on the ground and forgot to follow through.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wma
Full Member


Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Posts: 126

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kronos has old tech, at least 6 yrs old.

I personally don't think substantial tweaking of it makes much long term sense
My guess is that we might see some small or minor changes, think low cost.

If Korg does decide to do a game changer ( not sure this is the best term) type W/s, a mostly new approach, including UI, power, sounds, capability, is what makes more sense. A new, re-imagined W/s. Not a copy cat.


new colors again Razz[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
megamarkd
Full Member


Joined: 15 Aug 2017
Posts: 136
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
megamarkd wrote:


That's a good idea, only I don't know how to code..... Crying or Very sad


I can build us a 64bit Sample Engine that can stream samples. Really all we need to do is discuss the hardware and what approach to take on a build.

Regards
Sharp.


Sounds good. I'll help with something, I used a good amount of them at least, heheh. Perhaps a new thread could be started to discuss and gauge interest?

I've not used either of Akai's new stand-alone's but from what I read, they sound like MPC's with Ableton Live like looping functions. They don't have a performance type mode to create multisampled instruments. There are many many things that a sampling synth would have that they are missing such as reverse loop in release and a stupidly big modulation matrix (IIRC my e5000 had 64 slots and some incredible modulation destinations such as sample start position and loop point modulation). Maybe the new Akai machines may have inspired some competition? About month to find out.

Remix/DJ samplers are covered properly by Akai once again, but a full function workstation performance sampling synthesiser is still missing from the market. I've not used a Korg Microsampler but they seem like they were aimed at the performer. Every time I consider it I remember, oh no onscreen waveforms.
Really I'd like to see something akin to the Radias as far as form factor but include a large screen similar to that on the MPC X only with the older function-key+cursor control too, just to account for one day the touch part of the screen will stop working. Allowing the player to place the synth controls and display wherever they like. Oh and an unsprung joystick should be one of the controls.

I listened to a recent interview with the guys from Coil/Throbbing Gristle and they mentioned they got to use a Fairlight MKII in the mid 80's and when describing it, they said although it is a sampler, it was originally meant to be a Mellotron emulator and as such had functions not on many other samplers still today. Overlooking what they did with it, it's interesting that they made a quick plea for anyone with a MKII to sell it to them, which makes me want to find out what it is that the Fairlight did that they want another over the many amazing workstation samplers that have come since.
_________________
Stuff I'm using: Korg MS-20, M1, KP3+, SDD1000, Monotron Delay, Volca Beats, Volca Kick, Vermona Kick Lancet, Akai ME80P, Rhythm Wolf, Waldorf Microwave XTk, Pulse, Pulse2, miniworks 4Pole, Blofeld, Streichfett, Yamaha QY700, MAM ADX1, Novation Zero SLmkII, Remote 25, XStation, Circuit, Teenage Engineering PO-24 Office, Behringer MX3242, PX-2000 (x2), Ultragain ADA8200, Fostex VM-200, Zoom R16, R24, iConnectivity MIO4, DSI Evolver, Tetra, Roland MV-8000, dbx 166xl (x2), Phonic PCL-3200, Arturia Beatstep Pro, Keystep, MiniBrute, Synthrotek Nandamonium, Squarp Pyramid, Kurzweil Mangler, Wave Ideas Bitstream 3x, Boss DD7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bachus
Platinum Member


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 2306

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i think its time for a real software workstation...
Running all the features we love and like from workstations inside a PC...
Bitwig, Live but most of all reason are perfect DAWs for expanding in such a way. Making it a perfect toll for going live on the road with a software based setup where everything integrates.

Want arranger styles. add an arranger module to the virtual rack
Want Karma, add a Karma module to the virtual rack
Want a new VSt, add it to the rack

All they need to do to make it work is add a dedicated controller for the software. with a big touchscreen, a knobs sliders controll section, drumpads, and a whole slew of programmable buttons (with an rectal LCD above them to show their function)

ISn't it time for some real integration and innovaton?
_________________
Korg Kronos 2/88 , Korg PA4x, Mainstage3 +VSTsu, Kurzweil PC3X
www.keyszone.boards.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koekepan
Senior Member


Joined: 27 Sep 2016
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
All they need to do to make it work is add a dedicated controller for the software. with a big touchscreen, a knobs sliders controll section, drumpads, and a whole slew of programmable buttons (with an rectal LCD above them to show their function)

ISn't it time for some real integration and innovaton?


Ask Akai Pro how that worked for them, and how much their public loved it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
megamarkd
Full Member


Joined: 15 Aug 2017
Posts: 136
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
Bachus wrote:
All they need to do to make it work is add a dedicated controller for the software. with a big touchscreen, a knobs sliders controll section, drumpads, and a whole slew of programmable buttons (with an rectal LCD above them to show their function)

ISn't it time for some real integration and innovaton?


Ask Akai Pro how that worked for them, and how much their public loved it.


Heheheh, yeah it worked really well, thus the back-to-hardware offerings, Arturia too, Spark seems to have been replaced by the DrumBrute....All that said, Mashine is doing well.

E-MU's Ultras were essentially bespoke PC's. Open one up and they looked like a PC, had a P/S2 port for a computer keyboard to enter names, even had a higher RAM capacity than most of the consumer PC's motherboards of the time. Akai's MPC Live and X are also custom computers, in fact all digital synths are running some sort of computer operating system, just a matter of giving them a vdu port of some description and an intuitive control surface (a mouse and keyboard don't cut it for me). The Radias form factor incorporating a touch screen and page control surface and an 8in/8out audio/MIDI rear panel for interfacing with it. That's it. It can sit at the centre of the studio as would a master keyboard, computer keyboard, mouse and monitor does now.
_________________
Stuff I'm using: Korg MS-20, M1, KP3+, SDD1000, Monotron Delay, Volca Beats, Volca Kick, Vermona Kick Lancet, Akai ME80P, Rhythm Wolf, Waldorf Microwave XTk, Pulse, Pulse2, miniworks 4Pole, Blofeld, Streichfett, Yamaha QY700, MAM ADX1, Novation Zero SLmkII, Remote 25, XStation, Circuit, Teenage Engineering PO-24 Office, Behringer MX3242, PX-2000 (x2), Ultragain ADA8200, Fostex VM-200, Zoom R16, R24, iConnectivity MIO4, DSI Evolver, Tetra, Roland MV-8000, dbx 166xl (x2), Phonic PCL-3200, Arturia Beatstep Pro, Keystep, MiniBrute, Synthrotek Nandamonium, Squarp Pyramid, Kurzweil Mangler, Wave Ideas Bitstream 3x, Boss DD7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koekepan
Senior Member


Joined: 27 Sep 2016
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the approach, I suppose that they could, in principle, be aiming Gadget that way in the long term.

But KORG doesn't seem to operate that way, so I doubt that's their gameplan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broadwave
Platinum Member


Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 988
Location: Manchester UK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Actually i think its time for a real software workstation...
Running all the features we love and like from workstations inside a PC...
Bitwig, Live but most of all reason are perfect DAWs for expanding in such a way. Making it a perfect toll for going live on the road with a software based setup where everything integrates.


Time for a new take on Open Labs Neko - Maybe they were too ahead of their game, but it's something I'd kill for now.
_________________
Kronos 2 88, Roland System-8, Novation Ultranova, Yamaha MX, ARP Odyssey, Broadwave ARP 2600EX, Broadwave Sparta, Broadwave Minimoog, Broadwave Modular, Fender Deluxe Plus Top (iOS), Broadwave 12 String Telecaster

Synth DIY Projects
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mr_SamDoogie
Full Member


Joined: 01 Jan 2014
Posts: 174
Location: Netherlands

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?? What are ya'll going to do with all that bass ???.
_________________
In honor of the Groove and to all whom surrender to it, We say Thank You. And we take it Back.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S, XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, VST, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sharp
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jan 2002
Posts: 17722
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:

Time for a new take on Open Labs Neko - Maybe they were too ahead of their game, but it's something I'd kill for now.


+1
Having switched to Komplete Ultimate 11 and a Kontrol Keyboard, all my hardware instruments have taken a major back seat.

Sharp.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant


Joined: 13 Jul 2015
Posts: 783
Location: New Delhi, India

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadwave wrote:
Bachus wrote:
Actually i think its time for a real software workstation...
Running all the features we love and like from workstations inside a PC...
Bitwig, Live but most of all reason are perfect DAWs for expanding in such a way. Making it a perfect toll for going live on the road with a software based setup where everything integrates.


Time for a new take on Open Labs Neko - Maybe they were too ahead of their game, but it's something I'd kill for now.

Yes, that and receptor and All.
_________________
DX7-MOD-7 Patches | Korg Related Content
iPad Pro 12.9 256GB etc
Korg Kronos 2, PA600, Novation Sl 49, Waldorf Pulse 2, Novation Circuit, Launchpad Pro, Akai EWI USB, Graphite 49,Nano key Studio, BeatStep Pro,Zoom MS-70CDR,MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2
Ibanez S470, PRS Korina, Squier CV 60's Strat with BPNCS, VHT Special 6 Ultra, Blackstar HT1R, Cube 30x,Seymour Duncan TT Classic, Nux-Green OD & EQ, Catlinbread DLS MKIII, Steinberg UR44,Yamaha MG10XU, Behringer UltraG DI, Presonus Eris E5 ,Epiphone Acoustic, Aria Jazz Bass, SM57, Rode NT-1,M11
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group