Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos midi routing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcer10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Kronos midi routing Reply with quote

I have my Kronos plugged into my iPad via a USB hub with a camera adapter, which works nicely and I can get midi from the Kronos to arrive in Cubasis in the iPad. I also have a padKONTROL plugged directly into the Kronos which sends the pad events on to the iPad, which is great. The last part of the setup seems to be a challenge, I have an Elektron Digitakt plugged into the midi in and out of the Kronos to be able to perform drums outside of the Kronos. When hitting a pad on the Digitakt I am not having it trigger anything on the Kronos, nor when I hit play on Cubasis am I getting midi sync to the Digitakt. What I would like is to have the Kronos pass the midi in signal from its physical midi ports to its USB ports (back to the iPad), and for the Kronos to take midi in from its USB ports and pass them out the midi out port to the Digitakt.

In the Global MIDI settings I have auto USB set, couldn’t see any other settings that would let the midi signal be routed as I would like.

Is this possible to do with the Kronos?
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos does not pass MIDI thru like that. I would like that as well!

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auto midi is the best setup and i use it when I have iPad via USB midi and drum machine pad banks via 5pin midi cable in and out. The drum machine is set to two channels for bass and drums because it has both features on separate Channels. I use 10 for drums and 11 for bass.
Garage band has no midi setting for me but it just automatically midi syncs with kronos to be played by kronos. I assume it works over kronos global channel or any open channel it finds.
I set timbre/track to internal Ch10 for kronos to be driven by my drum machine pad bank and set another timbre/track to EXT channel 11 for kronos to play the bass sounds of the drum machine. That is the 5pin midi in and out cables working between kronos and drum machine.

I suspected that if I was to get interaction between iPad and the kronos plus drum machine, i would have to set midi channels in iPad app for both control to iPad internal and from iPad to External.

There may be a chance but not on my garage band or korg gadget LE that offer no midi settings. I still want to try it out on apps like iM1 by korg where you have combi mode with midi channel per timbre. But i have to wait until i get internet hooked up at my new place to get my iPad on the app store to get new apps.

Does your Cubasis app offer midi channel settings globally and per track over internal and external midi track settings?
That is where you would go to find out if kronos can handle USB midi Channeling in the same way the 5pin setup does.
The USB midi does have some limitations by design and your issue just may be from those limitations.

I wonder if there are midi hubs/routers out there that convert 5pin to USB and allow what you are trying but allows it over the external midi router with conversion from 5pin to USB for both in and out so that iPad, kronos and pad banks can work together regardless of which is USB midi or 5pin cables midi.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't mind spending a bit, the yamaha md-bt01 works good with ipad and any devices that only do traditional midi (midi cables)
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
adamburgess

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dug my iConnect4+ the other day to run a very old Roland MIDI controller in to Logic. Many, many routing options on there. 2x dedicated iOS I/Os plus normal MIDI, Ethernet, and normal USB connections...

I've not used it enough to know if you can use it stand alone without connection to a computer...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: