Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damper/Sustain When Changing Voices During Play

View previous topic :: View next topic  
k_sac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Damper/Sustain When Changing Voices During Play Reply with quote

I am new to Korg and have been a Yamaha PSR user for years and could use some help with this problem.

I have a string setting for the intro of a song in Upper 3 and I like the way it sounds using the damper/sustain pedal. When the intro is finished and I am holding down the sustain pedal, I press Upper 3 and Upper 1 buttons at the same time to change change from strings to piano, keeping the sustain pedal pressed. However, the sustain on the strings is immediately cut-off with the button change and it sounds well, - not good. When I did this on my Yamaha, the sustain kept going with the pedal pressed instead of being cut-off like this. I've messed around with the sound edit under track controls to get more sustain (using the Release setting) in the voice itself, but it starts to ruin the phrasing for the entire intro.

Is there any way to control how the damper pedal works with the muting buttons? I simply don't have time to place my fingers back on the keys and start singing to wait to press the buttons at the right phrasing moment.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.
k_sac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Damper/Sustain When Changing Voices During Play Reply with quote

I found a solution to my problem by using the keyboard sets, here is how:

Select the "Kbd Set" at the bottom left of the screen. Which will show four keyboard sets.

The introduction to the song keyboard1 has the strings in the Upper1 voice.
The verse that starts with piano, I switch to keyboard2 which also has the Piano in Upper1 voice position.
The strings are not muted, but are sustained as strings until I release the damper, then it switches to piano.

Hope this helps any other newbies to the Korg.
k_sac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Damper/Sustain When Changing Voices During Pla Reply with quote

Although this is a solution, it is not a perfect one if the volume of the voices don't match, you will here a sudden drop or raise in volume as you switch keyboard sets, holding down the sustain. But it is better than nothing.

Since no one else seems to have a suggestion and there seems to be a lot of interest in this topic, I plan to submit it to suggested updates.
mstodola

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since owning a Kurzweil K2000, where I could go from sound to sound with no cutoffs, I've always wondered why other manufacturers did not do this. I guess if you are in a loud band this is not an issue, but if soloing or in a small group this cutting off the sound as soon as you push a button sounds really bad. The Kronos does it but only from one sound to the next. If you scroll through two sounds, it cuts off the first one. They call it smooth sound transition. That and many other reasons is why I still own and mostly play a PC3. I can scroll through many sounds and it will play the sustained sound. And when I play the new sound the old one stays playing also until I let up on the sustain pedal. This is a must needed feature needed in the Pa4x, an arranger keyboard, but I don't expect to see it.

Mitch from Kern
k_sac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mstodola - I am a solo performer, so this is a much-needed upgrade for me. I tend to believe that this is something they could do in an OS upgrade if they so chose. I can't imagine a situation where it is preferable to cut-off a sustained sound with the damper pedal pressed and changing voices. In all the video demonstrations, they give themselves plenty of time to change voices and no sustain is going on in the original voice, so as a solo performer you have no knowledge of this "glitch" when making the choice for this keyboard.

The only other option for a smoother transition would be to record just the measure of the voice you want to be sustained, but that seems like a bit of a band-aid approach to me, but something I may eventually opt for as the jump in volume up or down is somewhat bothersome to me.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that whilst changing KEYBOARD-SETs it almost works (effects changes are sometimes unacceptable) but never when changing sounds.
Yes it would be great to have SST (smooth-sound-transition) on the PA4X just like the fabulous Kronos.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Stilli

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Yes it would be great to have SST (smooth-sound-transition) on the PA4X just like the fabulous Kronos.

Pete Very Happy

+1
Korg PA4X, Kawai MPIISE, Ketron SD4, Roland Integra 7, Motu Midi Express XT, Motu Audio Express, Cubase 9.5 Pro, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate (Collectors), Omnisphere, TC-Helicon Voicelive 3, Bose L1m2 (x2) + B2 (x2)
mstodola

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1.
But I still think it would be a major software change and possibly require a hardware uprocessor upgrade to handle the extra amount of data. I hope I am wrong.
( It would be interesting to know what processor they did use)

Mitch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: