Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Korg should do if new Kronos not released on NAMM 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hag01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: What Korg should do if new Kronos not released on NAMM 2018 Reply with quote

I understand that there is no competition for the Kronos, and it is the best on the market, and Korg doesn't have a reason to release a brand new revolutionary instrument.

However, most digital keyboard manufacturers release newer model once in three years or so, AFAIK three years is more or less the standard, and Kronos 2 was released 3 years ago.
Like with the Korg Kronos, some of those companies don't have the need to bring a comepltely new generation instrument, so they just release a new model with few minor improvements, in order to refresh their product line.
Look at Kawai with their MP11 and MP11SE for example.

So I think, if Korg want to stay with their current Kronos, they at least should add some updates\upgrades to their Kronos, even minor updates\upgrades, this NAMM, just in order to give new customers a good feeling with their purchase, to make us feel we are doing a safe purchase.

I saw here people saying that digital keyboards instruments are not cellphones and there is no need to always buy the newest model.

I simply not buying this argument.
Digital keyboard are not cellphones indeed(I don't really feel the need for the newest cellphone by the way), but the digital piano\keyboard market really reminds me the automotive market.
No one want to buy an old car model in a price of a new car, manufacturers release new car models once in a few years, and then the older models value is diving very fast.
And considering the fact that I could buy a nice second hand car in the price of the Kronos, obviously I want to feel I'm doing a good investment.

I think that even just a significant software update for the Kronos can be enough.
IMO if they will add a wind instrument engine, it will be the best improvement I could expect, and it will be sufficient.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They ought to be using a really powerful CPU by now. And perhaps add one or two new "engines".

I doubt that will happen though.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ksynth wrote:
They ought to be using a really powerful CPU by now. And perhaps add one or two new "engines".

I doubt that will happen though.

I agree. I think, as every day passes, the odds of Korg doing nothing significantly new, increase. My number is 1 chance of 2 roughly speaking.

Given that probable,if I were President of Korg I would:

-release a strong OS update now
- drop the price of the Kronos as it obviously has old tech.

I also think Korg does have competition. They have platform competition. They always have had that. I think folks are taking the context of big name MI cos and what they do. I think that context needs to be expanded, especially in 2017 and more so in 2018.

I have posted that Rolands FA is an alternative. It does not have to necessarily meet/exceed every feature of the Kronos to be considered an alternative.

This is all my opinion, which is worth the same as anyone else's
leonh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they don't release new Kronos then what ? Untill Yamaha or others release new Montage like workstation with all bells and whistles Korg doesn't need to do anything and yes because there is no competition simple as that maybe OS update new engine or even in my imagination new motherboard so you can replace it for some fee.
Thing is even if Korg or anyone else make new Workstation there will be nothing that a musician cannot do with this current Kronos unless new model gets connected directly to your brain then read ideas and plays for you Very Happy
hag01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
If they don't release new Kronos then what ? Untill Yamaha or others release new Montage like workstation with all bells and whistles Korg doesn't need to do anything and yes because there is no competition simple as that maybe OS update new engine or even in my imagination new motherboard so you can replace it for some fee.
Thing is even if Korg or anyone else make new Workstation there will be nothing that a musician cannot do with this current Kronos unless new model gets connected directly to your brain then read ideas and plays for you Very Happy

OS update and new engine\s is enough for me!
With a small hardware upgrade it will be perfect!
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see enthusiasm for the Kronos to be wavering. Seems like everyday on Facebook someone posts pics of their new Kronos.

The 3-4 year cycle doesn't really apply here. The Kronos is going on seven years. The model changes have been very modest and the original is every bit the synth as the newest version. The Kronos has evolved via OS updates. You can't say that about other synths.

IMO, the clue to the future might be found in the Grandstage and Vox Continental. These have the most important Kronos engines but what's going on under the hood? I don't know that it's PC-based. The boot time of the GrandStage is 35-40 seconds, or about 1/3 of the Kronos.

I could see a mid-tier synth model with the GS/Connie engines, priced below the Kronos. No sequencer, KARMA, MOD-7, STR-1, MS-20 or PolySix. A performance synth, Kronos light. User sampling would be HUGE, HUGE plus. Keep the Kronos for those who need/want those advanced features.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Kronos is still a flagship product with few natural competitors. The Montage is not it, it is something completely different (and very good at what it is designed for).

I'd be quite happy if Korg brought out a paid upgrade for the Kronos with more models. Even a hardware upgrade if required to support that. Given all the investment in the computer platform under the Kronos, I doubt they would do something completely different in terms of underlying platform, so it would seem the more natural to me for the Kronos to be extended/upgraded. But who knows? It is all conjecture! Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
marc1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hag01 wrote:
Quote:
OS update and new engine\s is enough for me!

+1

I mean, it would be nice to have a new Kronos with significantly improved technology, but I just don't see that happening anytime soon.
On the other hand, the Kronos is a great board and it would be nice to have some minor OS improvements. Keep in mind that a new decade is not that far away, only 2 years (well in 2018) till 2020.

By then, 9 years have passed since the original Kronos hit the market, which is a huge timespan for the development of a "new" product.
drama1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm just blowing smoke here, but I'd kill for a 73/76 semi-weighted Kronos. LS is too damn long for weekend warrior --- or put the pitch bend, ribbon, switches above the bottom keys of the LS88. Again, I know, just blowing smoke here.
leonh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they think that Kronos got everything we need already so what is the point in doing new model of course some cosmetic changes would be nice I.e different colour scheme touchscreen like cubase or montage looks more modern Korg gadget included so upgraded OS small things not much to improve in my opinion.
andersborg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What Korg should do if new Kronos not released on NAMM 2 Reply with quote

They could optimize the hardware, to make it cheaper to produce, add a larger SSD, add a higher resolution display (provided the UI is re-designed to make use of it), add more pre-installed instruments etc.

Maybe release a mid-price model, the way the M50 was a budget M3, without a few of the more costly features?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: What Korg should do if new Kronos not released on NAMM 2 Reply with quote

andersborg wrote:
They could optimize the hardware, to make it cheaper to produce, add a larger SSD, add a higher resolution display (provided the UI is re-designed to make use of it), add more pre-installed instruments etc.

Maybe release a mid-price model, the way the M50 was a budget M3, without a few of the more costly features?

Korg could improve on Krome- your list could apply there.

Back to Kronos, Korg has had over 6 yrs to reduce cost of manufacturing/assembly. Over time, they likely have figured out a savings here or there.

Thats the way these manufacturers roll.

Maybe we are benefitting from this with their investment in OS updates.
And we are due for an update right about now.

I don't see much 'component tweaking ' to Kronos .

There is so much to work on/improve at this point, a new robust W/s is what makes sense.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just paid for an upgrade of my iPad. Still waiting for special order delivery.
Anyway, that and it being my new sound engine platform to add to kronos. It hooks up with one USB cable making audio plus midi good to go. Ends up being more than just a few sound engines where I have greater combi power and much more.
The last thing on my mind is new sound engines in Kronos. Also got a drum machine with a bass section that makes up for my not being able to fit kronos internal bass selections into a combi and have the bass carry deep and clear like the external one does from drum machine.
Sure it may be easier if all my externals features were included in Kronos but am i really going to get Nave, Alchemy and Cubasis type functionality in a new and improved kronos or updated kronos? And that is just from iPad perspective.

I haven't even gotten the Mac Computer yet. So when a new improved Kronos comes to mind, I rather have my existing K2-88 working as key bed to a Mac Computer. The computer ends up being my ultimate upgrade -be it hardware or software.

Putting more kronos in the kromos, to me is like sailing in the ocean wishing there were more ocean under the boat when we know well we can't handle sailing all the ocean there already is.

Waiting on Kronos to have a better CPU when Mac has had them already. Waiting for new sound engines when spectrasonics and others have had them in a league beyond Kronos. All there ready to wire up to kronos.

My iPad from less than 6 years ago just stopped being supported with updates from Apple. iOS 11 left me behind. So now I have a latest model iPad pro on Order for hopefully the next 5 year run.
This is a Kronos thread but the iPad info is about analogy for OS updates/support. Kronos can only go so far with OS updates and then new hardware will seal the lid on old models. Even then, is investing in a latest model Korg flahship workstation ever going to catch up with or exceed the cost to features and quality ratio of computer based sytems?
Either way, a good key bed is going to always be needed for computer based work. And that is the main reason I Bought Kronos. As a key bed that will remain relevant even after the OS is not. Just plug it into a computer and work the computer.

I would get a new korg flagship but not before keeping up with the Computer(hardware) and DAW (software) that can run with my existing Kronos keys and feautures controlling it.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expansion via the external route is always an option. Smile

I have just finished building a new rig, which comprises the Kronos X61, a Montage 7 and a small NUC PC running Cantabile and hosting all of my VSTis, accessbile via a touch monitor on my rig stand just above the Kronos. Oh and I have my Nord G2 Engine in my rack for good measure!

I am starting to program the first songs now, and it is great being able to pair the Kronos and Montage with sounds from Omnisphere and Diva (for example). I already have some great combinations that I hope will wow a test audience at our local music venues open mic session on Sunday!

I will still be interested to see what Korg do next regarding the Kronos of course. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korg could place itself on the full analog big synth area (on 2,000 $ range for isntance).
Arturia, SCI and so on, are doing good sales on this range so why not Korg ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: