Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need to play midi phrases live

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tritonhaven

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: I need to play midi phrases live Reply with quote

Hi there,

I want to play midi phrases live. Now, the ideal situation would be to assign a key to a midi phrase (a series of notes in tempo of the internal clock)
But I know the Kronos can't do this (in program/combi mode), so another option is to record a midi rppr in sequencer.

The procedure would be as preparation:
- records rppr (midi notes) and assign those to several keys
- save the song

The procedure to play live is:
- load sequence (the song)
- go to Seq > Pattern / RPPR > RPPR setup
- play live
- I've done this and it works, however...

The problem is that the actions that I need to do to play patterns live are too many (too little time), do you guys know a way to optimize this?

I was thinking: is there a way to put Kronos in RPPR setup mode using my ipad by sending a midi signal?

Any other suggestions are welcome!

BTW:
- no, I can't sample this, because I want to be able to change pitch or tempo at any given moment.
- BTW: this would be a feature request to Korg: being able to play midi phrases live in combi / program mode (If I remember correctly: Roland XP-50 was able to do this in 1999)

Cheers,
Angelo

Last edited by tritonhaven on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it really have to be on Kronos?

RPPR has few limitations. I have been into sysex etc but it does not like external data.

if you want to play midi phrases off iPad then, gnome sequencer and modestep both do that quite well and send midi to kronos on whatever channel. There might be others but these are the ones I have used.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if a foot board that plays midi notes like an organ bass note pedal board, but midi linked to play RPPR keys.
I have not tried using karma performance for RPPR setups but I bet there are a few performance tricks. Karma and RPPR together.
I am not sure how but it seems there should be some way karma can help.
One piece of gear is never enough and you would think kronos would be enough but kronos leads to so many setup ideas that it sends you out there into off board features.
Having a laptop or at least computer tablet to go with Kronos is a must. Kronos was made to work with other gear and computers. Computer is the easiest way to avoid having a lot of gear to carry around.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up iPad pro tomorrow and will try out Amit's modstep suggestion. What happened to midi designer? Does modstep do better or is a different type of midi function?
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally diferent things. Midi designer lets you create custom controllers.
Modstep and Gnome are like midi sequencers (step/pattern).
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
tritonhaven

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Does it really have to be on Kronos?
Well, yes, I hope so, because I already use 2 synths. In this particular case 2x Kronos (one classic and one 2015). Adding an iPad of Lapop would mean another 2 audio signals.
I already have this setup working now, but still need to know how to access the RPPR page quickly.
If I would choose for a laptop I guess I'd go for Ableton Live. But it's just too heavy solution for what I need.

- A midi board could do that; the software on my iPad can be triggered with a Bluetooth footboard to play mp3 etc (and even midi I think), but that's not what I'm after.

So still looking for a way to externally put Kronos in RPPR mode. (or a way to play midi phrases in Combi mode)

Thanks for the answers guys! Smile
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step sequencer in program mode but it is not as midi data rich as Seq. Mode RPPR.
Staying in sequencer mode gives you all the benefits of RPPR, combi and program.
Just set up your sounds and sets in song mode and scroll through song numbers instead of switching modes.
Sequencer mode requires moving combi and programs to song slots/numbers and loading Song sets every time you boot up. But after that you have everything from Combi and program in one mode with RPPR and more.
Step sequencer and wave sequencer can do phrases. Karma software lets you customize phrases where karma performance has a lot to offer. The real issue is sifting through control and trigger related options and making something work how you want it to.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tritonhaven wrote:
- Does it really have to be on Kronos?
Well, yes, I hope so, because I already use 2 synths. In this particular case 2x Kronos (one classic and one 2015). Adding an iPad of Lapop would mean another 2 audio signals.
I already have this setup working now, but still need to know how to access the RPPR page quickly.
If I would choose for a laptop I guess I'd go for Ableton Live. But it's just too heavy solution for what I need.

- A midi board could do that; the software on my iPad can be triggered with a Bluetooth footboard to play mp3 etc (and even midi I think), but that's not what I'm after.

So still looking for a way to externally put Kronos in RPPR mode. (or a way to play midi phrases in Combi mode)

Thanks for the answers guys! Smile

What I mean is you can play the midi on the ipad just like rppr/ or ableton does it still uses the kronos audio engine. you route the track/clip to midi channel of your combi.
look on youtube for modstep or gnome sequencer videos, that will clear it out for you

anyways,
look into kronos plugin for the data it transmits for RPPR you might be able to nail the sysex that is used for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: