Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ordered the Kronos LS ; should I have gotten a K88 instead ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Ordered the Kronos LS ; should I have gotten a K88 instead ? Reply with quote

Hi,

After much deliberation, I finally made the jump and ordered a Kronos LS. I'm a piano player, but didn't want the heavy action of a weighted controller or another 50 lb keyboard, although I do have and like the Kurzweil PC88...

Is the LS action REALLY like a synth, or is it weighted enough to play comfortable piano on ? After reading some of the input here, I'm concerned that I won't be happy with the action of the LS.

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll love the action on the LS, as I am tired of keyboard shopping and just want an instrument that is a joy to play and that I won't grow out of, tech-wise, anytime soon... I'm pretty sure about the latter, but have concerns about the action being too "synthy"... Hopefully the LS action isn't like the Kronos 2-61 synth action. I hate playing piano on a synth action.

And also - I don't care about not having aftertouch. Never really used it on my Kurzweil keyboards, and wouldn't miss it.

Any input would be great... thank you !

- JT
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At it get a half-weighted keyboard, the Kronos LS could be placed between le light Kronos 61 and Heavy RH3 73 or 88.
I must say that, as a piano player, I wouldn't have chosen this keyboard. (I've bought the K73) Because it is not a real synth touch and not a piano-like touch. But I hope it will do the job for you.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably would’ve been better to ask before you ordered. Smile

I ordered an LS last summer because none of my local dealers had a model in stock. I played it for a week, I wanted to love it, but just couldn’t. I sent it back.

The action is closer to the 61 than the 88. I just couldn’t adjust to the touch of it. It wasn’t just the lack of weight to the action, the key throw felt shallow to me. I couldn’t get a consistent response from it and didn’t want to put the time into it for fear of messing up my playing on a weighted instrument.

For a couple of years, I’ve been gigging with a K2-61 and Casio PX-5S. For weight and size, it’s a good compromise. But, I hate having 2 boards to set up. Since I got a minivan several months ago, I now have room to transport the 88. So, i got a new 88 a week ago. It’s heavy, to be sure, but I love setting up one board and being ready to go.

I'll keep the 5S for gigs where I’m only playing piano. Not sure what I’ll do with the 61.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with midi cables from kronos LS to Kurzwiel PC88.
Having the best of both worlds.
I wonder if K-LS system supports aftertouch via midi but just omits it in the key bed hardware. That would mean Kurzwiel could do aftertouch action for kronos LS.

At least try midi connection of your Kurzwiel and K-LS before deciding because kurzwiel can be the keys for kronos any time you need.
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
I wonder if K-LS system supports aftertouch via midi but just omits it in the key bed hardware.

It DOES respond to aftertouch. It does NOT generate aftertouch.
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my new Kronos LS last night ; absolutely LOVE it ! The action, the sounds, everything !!

It’s a keeper ! Amazing instrument to keep me challenged musically for quite sometime to come !

Thanks for the input ; very happy LS owner.

- JT
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Foster wrote:
Got my new Kronos LS last night ; absolutely LOVE it ! The action, the sounds, everything !!

It’s a keeper ! Amazing instrument to keep me challenged musically for quite sometime to come !

Thanks for the input ; very happy LS owner.

- JT

Glad to hear it!
Zippydog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad to read you like it. Very much a persomal preference thing. I returned an LS 88 for the weighted keys of a full Kronos. I have found that the LS is a very polarizing key bed....you either love it or you don’t. Glad you do - rock on!
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zippydog wrote:
Really glad to read you like it. Very much a persomal preference thing. I returned an LS 88 for the weighted keys of a full Kronos. I have found that the LS is a very polarizing key bed....you either love it or you don’t. Glad you do - rock on!

Thanks ! I DO love the LS keybed. Feels like a piano and a synth had a love-child. Razz
Tfortexas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like it! I’m also coming over from a Kurzweil pc3. I miss the action of the Kurzweil but ultimately the Kronos is a great machine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: