Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording a Combi (Midi) in Daw in separate tracks.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Recording a Combi (Midi) in Daw in separate tracks. Reply with quote

Is there a way I can record a combi performance like internal sequencer.

I have 16 tracks setup in sonar to receive respective on each channel.
along with kronos editor vst loaded.

I go to seq mode, and use menu copy from combi to setup the sequencer.

I use get song on editor to synchronize the editor with the song (it does not automatically sync??)
I set midi status to both for all tracks

I arm all tracks and start record sonar as master (kronos in slave mode)

everything records etc on their tracks.

so here is the problem : In the combi some of the tracks are assigned the same midi channel like 02 (likely karma).
on kronos seq these all record to to different tracks,
however, in Daw (Sonar) they record merged on the respective channels!!
so all notes to channel 2 (yet different tracks) records on midi track 2.

How can I mimic the way internal sequencer records i.e. each separate track?

also minor software feature requests :

if possible add both to combi mode so you can have two hardware synths playing same.
secondly a menu option to set all track routings destination quickly like all to int. ext, both etc.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
franksaraceno@msn.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: 2 years later and you did not get one answer Reply with quote

2 years later and you did not get one answer - this is why i think I'll sell my kronos. I need to do same thing and there is 0 support from korg or community. What did we get shafted.
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 2 years later and you did not get one answer Reply with quote

franksaraceno@msn.com wrote:
2 years later and you did not get one answer - this is why i think I'll sell my kronos. I need to do same thing and there is 0 support from korg or community. What did we get shafted.

Two years later?

I bet he still has his Kronos so he probably solved the problem by now.

Try PM?
mikeyd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank:
He may have gotten an answer on another posting. Sometimes that happens and sometimes people solve it themselves and don’t report back.
I think the support on this forum is actually outstanding.

Maybe someone can answer your question since the topic has been reposted by you.

Not a Sonar user but I’m sure there are others that are and will help if they can.
franksaraceno@msn.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyd: My apologies as I love my Kronos 2 and have great respect for this forum - but I'm finding it very difficult to integrate my KRONOS 2 into any DAW to record multiple audio tracks simultaneously. My understanding is that KRONOS is not possible to record 16 INDIVIDUAL outputs from a KRONOS 2 combi or sequencer simultaneously to an external recording device like DAW? Is this true or can you share with me a way to do it? If it is true that is where my frustration lies as Korg build this great instrument without the awareness that most users would want to record multiple tracks simultaneously to an external device. Thanks for any help with - appreciate it.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank no apology needed! I sent a message to the OP as he’s very knowledgeable and helps us out all the time and may have not seen your revival of his post.
I feel your pain at times as well. It’s a complicated board and can be frustrating. I’m sorry I can’t help you as I don’t use any DAW’s.
I’m sure someone will step up and help if they can.
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2 years later and you did not get one answer Reply with quote

@mikeyd Thx for the PM.

@ franksaraceno@msn.com

I asked this question when I was fairly new to Kronos.
Also this is a very specific problem when multiple kronos tracks have same source channel.
There is no direct solution to this, IOW rather there just cannot be irrespective of if its Kronos or any other workstation.

The Only way to do this is running multiple passes with the questionable tracks soloed or muted.

An alternate way is to record everything else in a single pass. (with all of these track muted).
The, mute all of the recorded tracks, and then route each of same channel channel tracks output to a different channels, set up your DAW to receive on these respective channels, Arm those tracks and record the tracks in the second pass.

After you are done, you can route the tracks in the DAW back to the respective channels.

another solution is to just utilize any unused channels and once recorded, change back track output in your daw back to the respective channel.

it's easy once you do it couple of times.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeyd: My apologies as I love my Kronos 2 and have great respect for this forum - but I'm finding it very difficult to integrate my KRONOS 2 into any DAW to record multiple audio tracks simultaneously. My understanding is that KRONOS is not possible to record 16 INDIVIDUAL outputs from a KRONOS 2 combi or sequencer simultaneously to an external recording device like DAW? Is this true or can you share with me a way to do it? If it is true that is where my frustration lies as Korg build this great instrument without the awareness that most users would want to record multiple tracks simultaneously to an external device. Thanks for any help with - appreciate it.

Now if your problem lies with recording multple audio tracks, then this was not my original question however these is no easy way to do this.

Kronos has 6 single outputs or 3 stereo pairs.

If have to connect kronos through cables to your audio interface inputs and records these tracks in multiple passes. There is no other way around it.
I wrote a script that generated a special midi file for the sequencer that automates running multiple passes , but that can get confusing. Heres the Link : http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=105200&sid=dfa0e8f7cd87d3081835673bfc6f9a4d

Please remember this post and the previous post both require that you are in sequencer mode and have recorded your combi performance on kronos internal tracks.
mikeyd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Amit! Frank, hope this helps 🎹🎼🎹.

Happy Holidays 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: