Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg USB Midi Drivers Mac flakey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UKWoodgnome

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Korg USB Midi Drivers Mac flakey Reply with quote

I am at a total loss here!

I just got a Triton Taktile 49 and it worked fine with Logic Pro without any drivers although none of the DAW controls worked but I had midi - I could play notes etc. So, I decided to install the drivers needed for Logic on my Mac including the USB Midi Driver and the Control Surface plugin. Now every time I fire up logic, or even one of the standalone Legacy Collection synths I get no midi at all unless I unplug the USB lead and plug it back in again - then everything is fine.

This is utter nonsense, I have never had any trouble with any other midi controller and I have a few to say the least! Basically the Midi Driver has messed up big time and I really can't find a way to solve it. Any ideas?
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What version of OS X are you on?

The following may be relevant?

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=112812&highlight=

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
UKWoodgnome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies, I should have mentioned I am running Mac High Sierra 10.13.2 and the Korg USB Midi Driver 1.2.3r13.

I should also add that it's only the Korg Triton Taktile that is having this midi issue, whilst the Taktile only works if you launch Logic Pro X or Legacy Collection standalones if you unplug the USB cable and then plug it back it, my Akai MPK61, Akai MPK 88 and my iRig Keys are all unaffected and work as normal so it's clearly an issue with the Taktile and not the Apple OS (I would guess).

If only I knew how to uninstall the Kork USB midi driver on Mac I would try that but it seems there is only an uninstall tool and guide for Windows and not for MacOS so don't even know what was actually installed!

If I can't solve it today I will do a video of what is happening so it's better explained!.
UKWoodgnome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now posted a video which really shows the problem I am having: https://youtu.be/AmS4wBMZEQc
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things to try….(you may have already done some of the following anyway..?).
Change the usb cable.
Use a different USB port on the hub and also the Mac.

It can sometimes help to use an usb 2 hub, but there’s no guarantee with this.
I use an usb3 hub without any problems for my Kronos and PA900,but some Kronos owners have had good results with an usb2 hub.

Check the System Information app….this will list all usb connections.(It would be helpful to do this after each of the changes made, in sequence etc).

Boot the computer first, then the Korg.

Check the Audio midi Set Up applet to see if it’s listed.
Also open the Show midi Studio and open the Korg instrument to see if it’s “on line”.

If none of these show up correctly, perhaps the Korg midi driver isn’t working( or not installed properly etc).
You can remove it if you want to and see if things work without it.

Users/Library/Audio/midi drivers/….Korg driver.
Simply drag it to the trash(no uninstall app needed).

Most Korg keyboards are midi device compliant on Mac computers and can often work without any drivers.
I personally don't have one installed currently,but may do so if ever I needed to use the Kronos editor(it won't work without the driver).

Hope this helps.
UKWoodgnome

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the response, it's always heartening when people try to help.

Yes I had tried different ports etc and same every time however, pointing me to what was actually installed was key, it was indeed the actual driver and once removed from my system it all works properly and all the controls still work in Logic Pro X so I really don't know why Korg instructs us to install their midi driver when it really is not needed and in fact broke everything.

So, thanks so much for your help, I can get on with just playing now! Have a great Christmas

pedro5 wrote:
A few things to try….(you may have already done some of the following anyway..?).
Change the usb cable.
Use a different USB port on the hub and also the Mac.

It can sometimes help to use an usb 2 hub, but there’s no guarantee with this.
I use an usb3 hub without any problems for my Kronos and PA900,but some Kronos owners have had good results with an usb2 hub.

Check the System Information app….this will list all usb connections.(It would be helpful to do this after each of the changes made, in sequence etc).

Boot the computer first, then the Korg.

Check the Audio midi Set Up applet to see if it’s listed.
Also open the Show midi Studio and open the Korg instrument to see if it’s “on line”.

If none of these show up correctly, perhaps the Korg midi driver isn’t working( or not installed properly etc).
You can remove it if you want to and see if things work without it.

Users/Library/Audio/midi drivers/….Korg driver.
Simply drag it to the trash(no uninstall app needed).

Most Korg keyboards are midi device compliant on Mac computers and can often work without any drivers.
I personally don't have one installed currently,but may do so if ever I needed to use the Kronos editor(it won't work without the driver).

Hope this helps.
pedro5
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news.
Thanks for letting me know that things are now working.

As said,I don't usually have the Korg midi driver installed (unless I need to use the editor,on rare occasions) and it has always worked even from Mountain Lion
osx,currently with High Sierra version 10.13.2....which is one of the better updates,so far.

I also send xmas greetings and hope you have continued fun with the playing !!!

Best Wishes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Mac Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: