Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MIDI Volume Issue Using Kronos Set Lists and Mainstage 3.3.2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: MIDI Volume Issue Using Kronos Set Lists and Mainstage 3.3.2 Reply with quote

Hello,

Wanted to see if anyone else has an issue with jumping MIDI Volume changes on external channel strips within Mainstage 3.3.2 when switching patches in Mainstage from Kronos' Set List function...? ( a new Kronos LS88 )...

Try as I might, after adjusting the volume on the sliders within the created Combi in order to send the level to Mainstage once the Combi is assigned to a Set List Slot in Kronos, the volume levels of the channel strips within Mainstage jump all around, and never return to the level consistently as they are set within the Combi...

Anyone have experience with this "bug" (?) within Kronos ? Solutions ?

Thanks for any help with this ! It's a major PITA when trying to use and program Kronos as a master MIDI controller for Mainstage.

- JT
Qtipcore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start in the Mainstage end of things..

On the concert level in Mainstage, on the Midi tab, under "Routing"
- There's a checkmark setting for "Control Change 7/10 controls volume/Pan of channel strip objects"
and
"Send unassigned MIDI to all Channel Strips"

There's also a setting for Program Changes on the same tab.

Try different settings here and see if that helps.

Also - The Combi can be filtered for outgoing Midi messages as well.
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qtipcore wrote:

- There's a checkmark setting for "Control Change 7/10 controls volume/Pan of channel strip objects"
and

Thanks - I've tried all of these things, and nothing seems to make a difference. I do need to control Mainstage's volume via CC#11 Expression, so disabling anything here cuts off that ability to control.

The only thing I've been able to do to make things work, is to make sure the EXT2 settings within the Combi is set to 127 ; the Mainstage volumes on the channel strips then never move, although they are then "maxed out" and allow no variation in MIDI volume ( although thankfully, it is still controllable via CC#11 Expression ).

Not sure why this quirky volume thing has to be set to 127 for it to stop randomly moving around when changing Combis controlling Mainstage. My Kurzweil PC3x never did this when doing the same things - this is why I feel there is a bug in the Kronos' OS that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for the input, and hopefully I'll hear of a solution to this on the Kronos.

- JT
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny Foster wrote:
Qtipcore wrote:

and

Thanks - I've tried all of these things, and nothing seems to make a difference. I do need to control Mainstage's volume via CC#11 Expression, so disabling anything here cuts off that ability to control.

The only thing I've been able to do to make things work, is to make sure the EXT2 settings within the Combi is set to 127 ; the Mainstage volumes on the channel strips then never move, although they are then "maxed out" and allow no variation in MIDI volume ( although thankfully, it is still controllable via CC#11 Expression ).

Not sure why this quirky volume thing has to be set to 127 for it to stop randomly moving around when changing Combis controlling Mainstage. My Kurzweil PC3x never did this when doing the same things - this is why I feel there is a bug in the Kronos' OS that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for the input, and hopefully I'll hear of a solution to this on the Kronos.

- JT

Use a MIDI monitor to see what exactly is being transmitted.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
Johnny Foster wrote:
Qtipcore wrote:

and

- JT

Use a MIDI monitor to see what exactly is being transmitted.

Yes - just tried this ; there is MIDI volume messages being sent each time I change a Set List slot. I wish there was a way to disable this, as it's a huge obstacle in keeping my Mainstage volume consistent. Setting the Combi EXT2 channel volume to anything other than 127 makes the Mainstage instruments change to random Volume levels when changing Set List slots. Kurzweil PC3x allows the ability to turn off MIDI volume message transmission on a per-Combi basis. You would think the Kronos would do this, considering how sophisticated it is otherwise.

- JT

Geo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: