Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg minilogue (The Cars - Just what I needed)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wherestino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Korg minilogue (The Cars - Just what I needed) Reply with quote

Hi I am new to the minilogue and I am trying to get the 2 synth sounds that are in the song Just what I need by The Cars. Can anyone tell me the settings to get these sounds? I know the verse and chorus sound different. If anyone can get me there I would so appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Korg minilogue (The Cars - Just what I needed) Reply with quote

wherestino wrote:
Hi I am new to the minilogue and I am trying to get the 2 synth sounds that are in the song Just what I need by The Cars. Can anyone tell me the settings to get these sounds? I know the verse and chorus sound different. If anyone can get me there I would so appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

I don't mind you coming here
And wasting all my time

LOL you're not really wasting my time, heheh, I have a soft spot for that song.

Now from a quick relisten, the first lead sounds like a sawwave osc with the second a harder sounding like a squarewave. Quick 'net search for the synth they used uncovers the Minikorg 700s, a dual osc mono synth with triangle, saw and square waves. I sorta thought that the light phasing might be from hard sync osc's, but the Minikorg didn't have that feature, though it did have an osc mode called "chorus" which I'm thinking may act like hard sync considering the way a chorus effect cross-modulates delay lines. The leads in The Cars' song doesn't sound like two detuned osc's or even two osc's with matched tuning but it's nice and full, thus why I was thinking hard sync.

The tone of the patches is reminiscent of a MiniMoog even, very solid sounding...until you listen to a MiniMoog, LOL.

The patch is also very similar to that in The Rockford Files theme only with the filter slightly more closed in Just What I Needed, which is odd when considering the 24dB filter on the MiniMoog used for The Rockford Files should sound rather more closed than a 12dB filter at the same cutoff and resonance setting, but there is nothing to indicate that The Cars were aiming for that Rockford Files sound.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
wherestino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. I am super new to this korg minilouge. Can you tell me what settings I should use to get these 2 sounds on the song? I have no idea.

Thanks
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I remember when I given (pretty much for free) my MS-20 and was told it was broken and the manual was gone. I had to try to work out what all the dials did having no idea what a VCO, VCA, VCA, Env1/2 or any other of the setting on the synth were. I got a sound out of it that was playable, but it wasn't until I got my M1 and read through the manual that I started to understand the MS-20.
Now if I was to receive a synth with no manual, it's all too easy to find it on the 'net.

The Minilogue is a "subtractive synthesiser"clickylinky meaning it starts with a full bodied tone generated by an oscillator and then shaves it down using filters and amplifiers, thus the subtractive title. Creating sounds on a subtractive synth is like a sculpture; you start with a big lump of raw material and you remove a bit here and a bit there until it sounds like you want it too.

Try these settings to start with:

VCO1 Saw wave (the top one) for the first part and a Square wave for the second part
VCO2 (doesn't matter)
As you are only going to use the one Osc, pitch isn't crucial and can be set to centre (so that playing a C key will produce a C note)

Mixer:
VCO1 full
VCO2 off
Noise off

Filter:
Cutoff 90%ish
Resonance 50%ish
EG Int just a little bit

Amp EG (amplifier envelope generator)
Attack 0
Decay 0
Sustain 10
Release 3ish

EG
Attack 3ish
Decay 3ish
Sustain 8-9
Release set it the same as the Amp EG

As I don't actually own a Minilogue I have no idea beyond the VCO setting what it will sound like. Perhaps someone who does own one could jump in and offer settings that have been tested?

Generally oscillators don't sound too different from synth to synth and filters also are fairly easy to guess settings for, but envelopes can vary wildly in their speeds meaning that same envelope settings on one synth will affect the dynamics of the sound differently to another. Listen to the sound you are trying to emulate and how the tone and volume changes as the note sounds. With the sound in The Cars' song, the volume is pretty much the same from key-on to key-off, but the tone does have some travelling dynamics, thus the slightly different settings for EG2 from that of the basic "on/off" envelope setting for the Amp EG.

Take the settings I have suggested and then start messing with them once you have made them. I can guarantee these settings won't sound exactly like the synth in the song, but will give you an idea of how to set up a synth patch. You will find that after a bit you will start to know how to get to the sound you are chasing.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: