Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trombone patch with portamento for slide effect?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Trombone patch with portamento for slide effect? Reply with quote

One of the bands I gig with covers Chicago’s “25 or 6 to 4,” and I use a split and layered patch with trumpets/saxes on the right and trombones on the left.
Until I got the Kronos I was using Kontakt Horns and I kinda-sorta emulated the trombone slides by playing grace notes. I’m wondering if the Kronos can do a convincing trombone section with “fingered” portamento that would slide when I play legato. We’re talking sliding over an interval as wide as a 6th. Both hands are busy, so I can’t hit a switch. The bones’ parts are all monophonic, while the horns on the right are playing 2 or 3 parts.

Suggestions?
Gunnar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Xenophile,

Since it is a trombone sound I'm assuming you are using HD-1 as the sound engine. (Portamento options differ between engines). In HD-1, you can enable fingered portamento which triggers on legato on page 2-2, OSC/PITCH -> OSC1 Pitch, and similar for OSC2 if that one is in use. Check both "enabled" and "fingered" and tweak the time to your liking and you probably want to use "constant time" rather than rate so longer slides don't take forever.

I'm not at my Kronos currently, so I can't test, but you might have to set the PROG to mono/legato under the main PROG tab, 1-1 Basic/Vector -> Program Basic as well.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gunnar. That works. I’m not sure I’m 100% happy with the result yet, though. It sounds kind of “synthy.” I’ll have to play with it for a while to get it dialed in. Thanks again!
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
Thanks, Gunnar. That works. I’m not sure I’m 100% happy with the result yet, though. It sounds kind of “synthy.” I’ll have to play with it for a while to get it dialed in. Thanks again!

Here's a couple tips that might help you dial it in a bit more:

- For one of the trombone sounds, use Trombones 4 Velocity. Slam on the harder layer for the gliss.
- Make sure the trombone sounds are set to mono legato, priority last (under Basic Vector/Program Basic)
- Portamento settings : enable, fingered, constant time around 62 (don't set all OSC to exact same number for improved realism)

If you really want to go into detail, things to try are adding a subtle slow pitch vibrato (LFO sine or random) to one or more of the OSC so that they're never exactly perfectly in tune all the time, so that they don't sound so synthy. Try also different trombone textures, maybe for a total of 4 different bone timbres (2 for the high octave bones, 2 for the low octave bones).

Lastly, a good bit of random or auto pan on the horns will make them jump out of the speakers a bit if using a stereo speaker setup on stage. And bump the EQ on the characteristic mids for the horns, rather than cut, as that is more realistic to live horns (to my ears anyway). I would go so far as to take up 2 timbres, one for the low bones and one for the high, and give each of them different EQ and pan treatment as well. And no chorus, only slight reverb, as the 70s horns were drier and more "real" sounding (less processed) than the following decades. HTH
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psionic311 wrote:
Xenophile wrote:

Here's a couple tips that might help you dial it in a bit more:

- For one of the trombone sounds, use Trombones 4 Velocity. Slam on the harder layer for the gliss.
- Make sure the trombone sounds are set to mono legato, priority last (under Basic Vector/Program Basic)
- Portamento settings : enable, fingered, constant time around 62 (don't set all OSC to exact same number for improved realism)

If you really want to go into detail, things to try are adding a subtle slow pitch vibrato (LFO sine or random) to one or more of the OSC so that they're never exactly perfectly in tune all the time, so that they don't sound so synthy. Try also different trombone textures, maybe for a total of 4 different bone timbres (2 for the high octave bones, 2 for the low octave bones).

Lastly, a good bit of random or auto pan on the horns will make them jump out of the speakers a bit if using a stereo speaker setup on stage. And bump the EQ on the characteristic mids for the horns, rather than cut, as that is more realistic to live horns (to my ears anyway). I would go so far as to take up 2 timbres, one for the low bones and one for the high, and give each of them different EQ and pan treatment as well. And no chorus, only slight reverb, as the 70s horns were drier and more "real" sounding (less processed) than the following decades. HTH
Xenophile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great pointers, Psi!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: