Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing live with background music?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tfortexas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Playing live with background music? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am very new to the Kronos coming over from using a Kurzweil pc3. Is it possible to play a background midi track (mainly drums) while using a combi at the same time? If you are playing your background tracks through a computer program or an easier way I am open to suggestions!

I’m thinking this will probably be done somewhere in the sequencer mode as doing this in set list mode stops the midi track when I change programs. I’m trying to play Toto’s Africa having the drums loop in the background while having the brass lead split with the flute as my combi. There are times during the song when I also have to switch to different sounds throughout the song. Thanks for your help
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing live with background music? Reply with quote

Tfortexas wrote:
Hello,

I am very new to the Kronos coming over from using a Kurzweil pc3. Is it possible to play a background midi track (mainly drums) while using a combi at the same time? If you are playing your background tracks through a computer program or an easier way I am open to suggestions!

I’m thinking this will probably be done somewhere in the sequencer mode as doing this in set list mode stops the midi track when I change programs. I’m trying to play Toto’s Africa having the drums loop in the background while having the brass lead split with the flute as my combi. There are times during the song when I also have to switch to different sounds throughout the song. Thanks for your help

I am not sure, Kronos 2 might have a Program or a Combi that resembles the Song.

I suspect there are a few YT on Africa using the Kronos. That visual should help.

So you should be able to press the Drum Track(DT) button to handle the percussion.

If the Song has pauses in it, you would have to manually press DT to off, then on

If you are trying to get closer to the original, and play multiple instruments and parts you could copy the Program to a Combi and build your parts, keyboard ranges,spiits, etc.

Whether a Program or a Combi, you could copy either into the SEQ and basically be a 1 man band without the vocal. Once you set up and record the instrument parts.
tomto66

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do this in sequencer mode - SEQ is basically combi mode + the sequencer - you have all combi functionality there. Record (or load an existing midi file) into the sequencer all parts you do not want to play yourself, hit play and then play what you want to play yourself on top of it.
Tfortexas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys! I will give it a try!
laandodeman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or load (long) samples and trigger them with a keynote or pad. That's what I do all the time.
Tfortexas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I just got a nanopad so maybe I will try that out
4GodnWV

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few ideas:

https://youtu.be/cuuO-GvoHOs
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Whilst the question was can it be achieved internally, and I have indeed done this in the past myself in the Kronos Sequencer, my preferred system is to use Top Ten Software's Cantabile program, which I thought was worth a shout out, so people are aware that it is an option.

Cantabile provides me with
  • MIDI Routing and Processing (e.g. note ranges, channel and CC remapping, etc.) between all of my hardware units
  • Ability to play both Audio and MIDI tracks either synced to the master transport, or triggered via any type of MIDI message that you bind as a trigger
  • Hosts VST instruments and effects.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: