Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning to use midi

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maintech

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Learning to use midi Reply with quote

I'm trying to learn how to re-voice some midi songs on my pa600, and I think I need to know more about the basics. Any suggestions? I'd prefer something that can be practiced on a tablet, but also could use a laptop, Win 7 pro.

Thanks.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked through the Korg Video manual tutorials for your keyboard?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f76lNWW_8eA

I used the 700 versions to learn about the features before I bought my keyboard and found them invaluable.

In the series they go through Styles and Recording and including changing voices, sound levels and effects, well they do in the 700 version so I assume they do the same fir the 600.

Good luck.
tacman7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of info in the manual.

Not really about midi so much as learning your keyboard and how to save settings.

You could read the PDF reference manual on a tablet.
maintech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Learning to use midi Reply with quote

Thank's for your input guys: I am trying to identify a workflow sequence that I can refer to on the pa600 when using just the keyboard, from loading the song, selecting what can be altered and saving the result, then playing the original and the modified to hear the difference. Next I'd like to get a Midi Windows program and connect the keyboard and use the laptop to modify songs that way.
I'm a novice user, however I have successfully added more than 200 songs to the songbook, changing the Styles and adding/deleting instruments to closer match the published version, and I'm happy with how that worked out. If I purchase a Midi pc program, will it assist me with a generic workflow, that works with the typical pa keyboard, or do I need to get one that is tailored to the Korg layout? If that is unrealistic, has Korg provided suppimentary information that makes the learning curve easier?
Thanks
Giner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to look through Sam Ca's tutorials:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=105253
tacman7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of ways to use an arranger with a DAW setup.
More about what is it you want to do?

You can have the arranger play along with the DAW.
You can record the audio output of the arranger.
You can also record the midi output.

For midi, get the reference manual for the pa 600 and under style play section go to global then find midi out channels.
Actually to connect and use the pa with a DAW it's good to read that entire global section because you want to sync the two up together.

Contrariwise you can export a midi file and import it in your daw and assign the tracks to VSTi's.

It's a lot about workflow and what you want to do.

This is from an old post:

I send midi clock to the PA and sync it up so it can play along with the computer sequencer. Most important thing there is get to know the midi inputs and outputs in the global section. I've been able to do most everything I wanted to do by reading the manual and trying to understand how the machine functions and how it functions in relation to the computer sequencer.
Lot of things I deemed too much hassle after I figured out how to do them though.

Only thing I do now is write a song in Studio One then go to the PA and get it to compose me a bass part. (I send it whole note chords to guide the style) then I record the audio output into S1.
It also a good keyboard (input device) for playing VSTi's etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa600/Pa300 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: