Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does ES2 clock send when pattern is stopped

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirmalc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Does ES2 clock send when pattern is stopped Reply with quote

Hi All,

I had an EMX-1 for a while and I loved that it sent its clock out even if the pattern was stopped. Nothing else I’ve ever used has done this. It was great because if my pattern on the EMX-1 didn’t start until a few bars after the song it didn’t matter. Or, if the song didn’t use it at all, no problem. It could still serve as master clock and as soon as I changed patterns all of my volcas, KPRO, KP3, and my iPad would lock in the tempo even if the EMX-1 wasn’t playing.

Sometimes I would stop the EMX before the end of a song, then change patterns and play a little live piece on the keys but need the KP3 fx to be in time with my next song coming up. Rather than have all parts muted or using a dummy pattern just to set tempo, it was nice that the clock constantly sent.

So, now looking at a ES2 to replace my HUGE MPC5000 and wondering if it does the same?

Thanks

Shawn
www.youtube.com/mechanalogmusic
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shawn, I've looked high and low for a MIDI Implementation chart but all I can find is the always cryptic MIDI Implementation sheet. The sheet tells me that it will send clock (tempo) when in Internal mode, but doesn't say if it's will send it when stopped or if it will THRU MIDI received (including tempo). As I don't yet own an ES2 (which might change tomorrow) I can't test myself, but perhaps someone with an ES2 might be able to help out on this?
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
slug

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im pretty sure everything i have the clock stops with the sequencer, from Tempest and Tanzbar to modular like Stillson Hammer Mk2 and Pamelas Workout.

Trick might be to get an external clock - EHX Clockworks etc?
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tomorrow now and I decided I should use my MV8000 as I paid a lot of money for it and it's bloody powerful sampler. Bought another PO to stave off the GAS for a little bit.

slug wrote:
Im pretty sure everything i have the clock stops with the sequencer, from Tempest and Tanzbar to modular like Stillson Hammer Mk2 and Pamelas Workout.

Trick might be to get an external clock - EHX Clockworks etc?

The only device I own that actually DOES stop transmitting tempo when stopped is my Beatstep Pro, which I'm still waiting on Arturia to amend. I find it odd that your drum machines don't send tempo in stopped state, drummers are the time keepers so their robotic counter-parts should transmit tempo always.

I get around the lame MIDI implementation of the BSP by using a tempo flywheel on my Novation SL Zero which will send tempo data equal to the last tempo received if the messages stop. Great controller, too bad they are discontinued.

EHX's Clockworks is analogue sync clock only and doesn't even have a MIDI in on it. Great box if you are running gear that can be clocked using on of the various analogue pulse sync "standards" (I use that term loosely).

For a little bit more money, E-RM make a MIDI clock called (surprisingly) MIDIclock+. For about twice the price of the Clockworks E-RM have a MIDI synchronisation box called the Multiclock that does what Clockworks does but for MIDI.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: