Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEC Breath Controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiokor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: TEC Breath Controller Reply with quote

Looking for a way to successfully control combis/programs in the the Korg Kronos X with the TEC breath controller. (USB) I've heard that inputing this to an expression pedal can work. If that's the case, there must be a USB to 1/4" adapter; as the Korg EXP2 pedal doesn't have a USB port (only 1/4").
Please advise.
Thanks and here's to a better and happier New Year 2018!
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A “controller” works using midi signals. Kronos does midi also over USB.
Why not plug it into the kronos USB port and see if kronos accepts it.
TEC would have a default midi CC# and probably to the one for foot pedal as you said and kronos may automatically recognize it as that and then you can go to set the assignment of the foot pedal.

But.... From what i see on the below youtube video, he has it plugged into the computer and the controller keyboard also plugged into the computer.
Then the computer has a screen for the assignment of what midi message TEC will send. The midi CC# setup page looks like an editor specifically for the TEC and i am not sure Kronos screen would display the editor but kronos should recognize the default TEC midi CC#2. And of course that is if kronos recognizes TEC as a compatible midi device over USB midi.

https://youtu.be/FnCMnXxxous .
Plug TEC into Kronos USB and set up your kronos parameters to either receive the TEC default CC# or set the parameters to foot pedal and see what happens.

Kronos CC#18 is Controller AMS/Dmod sourcer.

Kronos CC#2 is Joystick -Y(down towards the player)

Kronos CC#4 is foot Controller for the assignable foot pedal.

Ideally you want to be able to set TEC to send out the CC# of your choice rather than try to covert the incoming message to a different function in Kronos. You may end up needing to go through a computer to set it up how you want.

I am not sure i have an answer here after all this ,but i know i am in the right direction towards figuring it out.
Nice device TEC. Let us know how it works out so i can decide if i should get one.
audiokor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: TEC Breath Controller Reply with quote

Hi and thank you for your very helpful reply!
I too perused YouTube for info, reached out to Korg and TEC, but no one could speak for the other with the end result being "it should be able to do it" because they were both compliant; and so on.
I believe they are correct: that both can function together. Now it's just discovering how to get the "TEC USB MIDI Breath and Bite Controller" to work in concert with the Korg Kronos X. I said "discover" because I believe to date, no one has done it!!! I'm working on it, but I'm not quitting my day job. And by the way, the TEC USB MIDI Breath and Bite Controller is exquisite! You mentioned that you're thinking about getting one. Don't. Just get it. It's that good! You will be amazed!
Please, if someone from Korg Kronos sees this note: What is the path to accomplishing this beautiful marriage: Kronos X and TEC USB MIDI Breath and Bite Controller
Looking for a step by step to affect both COMBIs and PROGRAMs. Thank you!
amit
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

download the burningbusch excellent programs specifically tuned for breath controllers.

Tec bite and breath is quit good, but mine got damaged.

I now use an akai ewi midi, much better for what i do.
Korg (Kronos 2, PA600,WavestateVolcaFM), Moog Subsequent 37, Waldorf Pulse 2, ,Novation (Peak, Circuit), Roland GR55, Roli Rise 49, Boog Model D Novation Sl 49, Launchpad Pro, Ableton Push 2 + Suite,Yamaha DTX Multi 12, Akai EWI USB, Nano key Studio, Arturia(BeatStep Pro,DrumBrute,Keystep),StryMon(Big Sky,Timeline), Mooer Ocean Machine, Zoom MS-70CDR,MXR Carbon Copy Deluxe, MicroKontrol,KLC, Korg DS-1H, Korg EXP-2,Roland DP-10, Nanopad 2, TEcontrol BBC2, Soundcraft Signatrure 22 MTK, Yamaha MG10XU,UltraG DI,Eris E5 .. List
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just plug the breath controller into the USB ports and find out if anything happens. TEC's products claim to be class compliant so should bee seen by the Kronos as a MIDIdevice.

One way to see which CC# is being sent by the controller is to connect the Kronos' MIDI out to a PC running MIDIOx and see which messages are being sent.

An alternative might be to use the software utility to view and/or change the settings by using a Windows or Mac computer and storing changes in the USB MIDI Breath Controller's non-volatile memory. The Kronos defaults to CC#11 for Expression pedal, CC#04 for AMS, CC#05 for Portamento time, CC#07 for volume. Check the parameter guide, page 1125.

tomto66

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - The TEC controller *has* been tested on Kronos and confirmed it works as intended!
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one and Yes you just plug it into a USB port on the Kronos.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
audiokor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: TEC Breath Controller Reply with quote

This is great news. However, it's still not there. So I'm guessing it's operator error. Though I did plug the unit into the Kronos X, and I played various sounds; the TEC BC didn't work. I tried working with the CC#s as above; still no joy. Then I went thru my computer, as I do with my sample modeling instruments. Those are incredible. Anyway, I routed midi in the same fashion, only swapping out sample instruments for the KRONOS X routing. So I was able to "Play" the KRONOS X with it's own keyboard, but via midi with local control OFF. Then via the same midi in slot, I channeled the TEC BC just like with sample modeling instruments. Still, no joy. Then, after diving into their midi "Controller/scale" area, and making those changes: no joy.
So, as you said, it's compliant and there's got to be a path.
So thank you to Tomto66 and PhattBuzz and Voip for your input.
Please confirm that when you said, "Kronos" you actually meant Kronos X vs other Kronos instruments that might support BControllers more easily.
And, if indeed it was a Kronos X, do you know the path; I ask this as delivering midi data via direct USB input into the Kronos X, is not being received by the Kronos X. (nothing tangible) I'm hoping that someone knows the path as to how to change any internal settings to allow the USB input to "see" and accept delivery of said messages. Thinking that it's in the MIDI/ Controls Scales area. Or perhaps in the GLOBAL settings area.
Thanks again for all your input.
Please let me know if someone finds a "Path" inside the computer or inside Kronos X itself.
The end result of which would be to play any Combi or Program by playing the Kronos X keyboard (local or not local: midi) while simultaneously opening up the sound with the TEC Breath and Bite Controller. Seems like the answer would be in the GLOBAL controllers. So that's the next area of exploration for me. I'll certainly post a working solution (step by step) if I'm lucky enough to figure this out. Meanwhile thanks for all your advice everyone; it's much appreciated. Happy New Year!!!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of the box, the TEC Bite and Breath Controller 2 (BBC2) CC#s are mapped as follows:

CC#02 Breath
CC#01 Bite
CC#12 Nod
CC#13 Tilt

These don't correspond to any of the most likely CC#s used by Kronos Programs and Combis, hence the reason why you're probably not seeing any modulations arising from using the BBC2.

The TEC Configuration Utility should be used to map the device to useful CC#s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: