Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you guys think of the timbre I've made?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys think of the timbre I've made? Reply with quote

Woomgoog wrote:
So I was playing around the kronos and I'm a huge fan of Van Halen and I always got interested on making some timbres that I've always like but before I couldn't created because didn't have a powerful machine on my hands like the kronos.

I know there are some mistakes on the video but I was also testing my camera to see the quality and it has been a long time since I've played this song so... sorry for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJJ-WCHp1wA&feature=youtu.be

I think your performance is quite good. I don't know the song- but I think your
piano/string/synth pad (?) layer is a keeper.

The audio quality on YT ( or your mic ?) is somewhat average. I hear lots of clicking as if your mic picked up all the keybed clicks. Those 2 factors tend to distract. If you had a direct audio out that might help the listening side.

Kronos still sounds very good.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: What do you guys think of the timbre I've made? Reply with quote

Woomgoog wrote:
GregC wrote:

I think your performance is quite good. I don't know the song- but I think your
piano/string/synth pad (?) layer is a keeper.

The audio quality on YT ( or your mic ?) is somewhat average. I hear lots of clicking as if your mic picked up all the keybed clicks. Those 2 factors tend to distract. If you had a direct audio out that might help the listening side.

Kronos still sounds very good.

It was recorded using a M-Audio Firewire 1814 so I didn't use mic at all. The clicking you're hearing is actually one of the hardest things I've came across to build this timbre. The original has it and it's that click that gives the uniqueness of this timbre. But as you've mentioned you didn't know the song. And thanks for the reply man, very appreciated!
Listen to the original studio version of this song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SmPXy2dovM

wow, thats a recording surprise. I guess I don't get the idea behind their clicks.

If it were up to me, I would drop them. But thats only my opinion.
narf
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s right! The click is part of that intro. I’ve got it in my version too. Well done!

Kronos Ultimate Covers Pack
ando727

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is that in your timbre, the click sound isn't quite right and the rhythm isn't quite there. In the Van Halen intro, it sounds like an actual drummer is doing it on a separate rhythm track, not like it's part of the synth timbre. It has its own rhythmic stability that stands separate from the keyboard. It's got one strike with the keyboard, and then an "echo",one 16th note later, but it's not perfectly synced to the keyboard. Your timbre doesn't quite get the 16th note delay right (too close together), and the tone of the two clicks should be slightly different from each other. Mainly, you need to get the timing right on the clicks though. Just some feedback to help you refine your timbre.
Kronos 2 88, Korg T1, Mesa Boogie Triaxis/2:90, TC G-major II.
TopCat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woomgoog wrote:
ando727 wrote:
I think the problem is that in your timbre, the click sound isn't quite right and the rhythm isn't quite there. In the Van Halen intro, it sounds like an actual drummer is doing it on a separate rhythm track, not like it's part of the synth timbre. It has its own rhythmic stability that stands separate from the keyboard. It's got one strike with the keyboard, and then an "echo",one 16th note later, but it's not perfectly synced to the keyboard. Your timbre doesn't quite get the 16th note delay right (too close together), and the tone of the two clicks should be slightly different from each other. Mainly, you need to get the timing right on the clicks though. Just some feedback to help you refine your timbre.

Appreciated man. I actually went over the delay of the click a lot of time and I did get that right, listen over and over with the right track. I think the thing is that I'm horrible recording, playing it live I do it perfectly but always when I'm recording I have that pressure on my mind damn I'm recording. So yeah I do get what you're saying and thanks for the feedback but I really think it is a case more of my performance cause since you have the click you have the delay set for it if you press a little late the key, so as the delay is going to sound. Sorry about that.

Glad to see someone else has that problem.
ando727

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woomgoog wrote:

Appreciated man. I actually went over the delay of the click a lot of time and I did get that right, listen over and over with the right track. I think the thing is that I'm horrible recording, playing it live I do it perfectly but always when I'm recording I have that pressure on my mind damn I'm recording. So yeah I do get what you're saying and thanks for the feedback but I really think it is a case more of my performance cause since you have the click you have the delay set for it if you press a little late the key, so as the delay is going to sound. Sorry about that.

Ah, ok, fair enough man. I guess all that's left to do now is practice it a bit more then so nerves play less of a role in your recording. It's a good timbre you made - very close to the original.
Kronos 2 88, Korg T1, Mesa Boogie Triaxis/2:90, TC G-major II.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: