Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Much User Sampling Time/Space in stock Korg Kronos 2 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: How Much User Sampling Time/Space in stock Korg Kronos 2 ? Reply with quote

Hi,

This question may have been answered before, but I haven't found a "straight" answer with regards to how much user-sampling time/space the Korg Kronos 2 (LS) has after it loads in the basic Preload.ksc.

Just curious, as I'm hoping that this Kronos can be used like a "serious" sampler like the old Akai S1000 samplers ( or better )... I don't expect it to be Kontakt or anything like that, but hopefully have a lot of room for my own one-shot samples to import or record in.

Thanks for any info !

Best,
JT
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes this question's answer not elementary in nature is Korg's sample streaming ability. I have sampled over a dozen VST sounds with long samples times of 10 to 20 seconds each. In my older EMU gear this would eat up memory real fast. But in the Kronos, only the beginning of the samples are actually loaded in memory and the rest is streamed in real time as needed.

I'm sure there is an "answer" out there but I don't have it. As far as I can see, it can sample way more than any previous sampler I've owned can.
EMAX, EMAXII, ESI-2000, ESI-4000.

There's just under 2 GB sampling memory after loading factory sounds.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
Johnny Foster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoelectro wrote:
What makes this question's answer not elementary in nature is Korg's sample streaming ability. I have sampled over a dozen VST sounds with long samples times of 10 to 20 seconds each. In my older EMU gear this would eat up memory real fast. But in the Kronos, only the beginning of the samples are actually loaded in memory and the rest is streamed in real time as needed.

I'm sure there is an "answer" out there but I don't have it. As far as I can see, it can sample way more than any previous sampler I've owned can.
EMAX, EMAXII, ESI-2000, ESI-4000.

There's just under 2 GB sampling memory after loading factory sounds.

Geo

Thanks for the answer, Geo - I appreciate it !

Wow - 2GB of user sample RAM. That's terrific ! Smile
Drummond

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Kronos streams samples from disk, you can load up to 2gb of samples but can access instantly up to 22gb according to this thread: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=108392&sid=90dc08844785a69e3700eb0b175721c5

That is because when a sample is small it is loaded entirely on ram. But when it is large only the beginning of the sample is loaded to ram and when you play it Kronos plays back the remaining portion straight from the SSD, just like kontakt does on the computer.
Korg Kronos 88 (288gb+3gb), Korg Kronos X 61, Alesis Fusion 6HD (60gb+384mb), Hammond XK1c, Moog Slim Phatty, Behringer Model D, Access Virus B, Oberheim Matrix 1000, Novation X-Station 61, Korg Trinity Pro (with Solo-Tri), Compac Univox II, Casio MT600 and PT82.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: