Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Error Message Whenn Trying To Update
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeddy 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Error Message Whenn Trying To Update Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

Been trying to update firmware but get to the point when I run the upgrader all I get is error message "No MIDI Port Found"

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Steve
jeddy 3

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW..windows 7
pete.m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not something I've seen before. Given that you're talking about Windows, does that mean you are trying to do it direct from your PC to your Kronos? If so, then I'm not sure that you can do it like that - I think you need to go the normal route and do it via a USB stick.
Make sure you read the instructions about unzipping the files before you transfer it from your PC to your stick.
jeddy 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Pete, you have hit upon the answer me thinks.

I also own a Nord and you do things directly from PC to instrument. I assumed the same for Korg.

Will try USB, thanks.
jeddy 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....although, having just read the PDF instructions again, it clearly says to hook up your Kronos with your PC and run the updater.

What to do???
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete.m wrote:
That's not something I've seen before. Given that you're talking about Windows, does that mean you are trying to do it direct from your PC to your Kronos? If so, then I'm not sure that you can do it like that - I think you need to go the normal route and do it via a USB stick.
Make sure you read the instructions about unzipping the files before you transfer it from your PC to your stick.

I agree with Pete...The USB stick worked fine for me.
pete.m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeddy,

I've not seen that type of instruction for an OS update before. Here's a link to a Korg PDF, the first page of which details the usual procedure for updating the OS, via a USB stick - http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/KRONOS_Update_and_Restore_E2.pdf.

The only instances I can think of where I would need to connect my PC to the Kronos would be if I were to use the Korg Editor, or else to hook it up to a DAW.

See how you get on with the link that I've sent. Hope that it sorts it out for you, but do come back if you're still having problems.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only update requiring connection to a PC is update of the subsystem firmware. Currently the most up to date subsystem firmware is v1.08 for the Kronos 2 and v6.04 for the original Kronos and Kronos X. Be aware that these two firmwares are not inter-compatible.

There are no subsystem firmware updates for the Kronos Gold, Platinum, or LS versions.

The main Kronos system software updates are done via USB memory stick.

jeddy 3

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pete and Voip,

Thanks for your replies.

Pete, the link does not work, comes up as "sever error"

Voip, it is indeed the firmware I am trying to update. I am not sure that I need to as I don't know how to find out what is currently installed (unlike the OS version, which comes up on the start-up screen). Is there a way to find out what version I have?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from another posting in this thread:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=736411

"It depends on the Kronos version. For the original Kronos and Kronos X, if the start up display shows graphic icons depicting the nine sound engines, then the firmware is the latest, V6.04. For the Kronos 2 there is no such distinguishing feature. There is no other way of determining the firmware version without risk to the Kronos. The Kronos LS, Platinum, and Gold do not currently have any subsystem firmware updates.

The firmware updater can be used to install the latest subsystem firmware. Even if the latest version is already installed, no harm will come to the Kronos. Use the correct version for the Kronos, Kronos X and Kronos 2."

One caveat, with the current spate of stormy and cold weather, if the mains power is the least bit flaky, don't attempt either the system, or subsystem updates, unless the Kronos and the PC are both running off a UPS.

jeddy 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Voip,

Thanks for your replies.

If the only way to find out is to run the updater, then I'm back to square one with my error message "No Midi Port Found". Have tried this 3 times now to make sure I'm following instructions to the letter. Grrr!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the updater is run, it does not show the subsystem firmware version already installed on the Kronos. It merely overwrites what was already there.

First things first, though. The Korg MIDI drivers need to be installed before connecting the Kronos for the first time. If the Kronos was connected before installing the Korg MIDI drivers, it will associate with the generic MIDI drivers, which will not work, unfortunately. Also, Windoze can only handle a maximum of 10 USB MIDI devices. Furthermore, plugging the same device into different USB ports will use up one of the 10 slots for every USB port used, so it's best to try and use the same USB port each time. Once you have installed the Korg MIDI drivers, and *before* connecting the Kronos via USB, use the utility for uninstalling MIDI drivers, both Korg and non-Korg. This should help to manage the Windoze driver associations and allow the Kronos to be recognised.

jeddy 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI Voip,

I have indeed installed the latest drivers (1.15?). I don't remember if the Kronos was connected at the time.

I'm not sure I understand the next part about uninstalling MIDI drivers or where to find the utility to do it.

Sorry to be a pain, this seems never-ending for something that should be a simple upgrade.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg drivers, when installed, should also have set up a link in the PC's Start menu to a Korg Program folder. The relevant uninstall utility (called Uninstall KORG USB-MIDI Device) should be there somewhere. It doesn't actually uninstall the Korg MIDI driver files themselves, or any others for that matter. It merely removes the association between devices and their MIDI drivers, allowing the Kronos to use the correct driver when it is plugged into the PC's USB port. Also, just to check, the correct USB cable to use is a standard USB A (rectangular) connector to the PC, with a standard USB B (square) connector on the other end to the Kronos. The two USB A ports on the Kronos are used by the Kronos to act as a host for other MIDI devices such as the nanoPAD2. If a USB A to USB A cable is used, then the Kronos will not be recognised, even with the correct drivers installed on the PC.

A useful utility called USBDeview can be downloaded from Nirsoft and allows all USB devices that have been enumerated by the PC to be viewed.
jeddy 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done The uninstall thing, using correct cable - still no joy

I think it may be the way my PC is set up to use my DAW. I use Reason with an interface called Balance. I will look into that.

Cheers Voit for all your suggestions and help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: