Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Using Karma to repeat 2 note chord

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Citizen Dan Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:56 am    Post subject: Using Karma to repeat 2 note chord Reply with quote

I’m trying to use the pads to re-trigger their 2 note chords using KARMA. I selected Chords for the pattern, set the duration to a length that worked for me (59) and most of the other sliders to 0 (except Velocity Accents=127) to try to avoid notes other than the ones in the chord, however it seems to occasionally trigger other notes outside of the chord and I can’t figure out why. Is there a better pattern to use or any suggestions what I am missing? I actually only need it to repeat once and I can’t figure that out either, though that’s not too important, the pads are only held for a short time.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I selected Chords for the pattern" - what does this mean as far as KARMA goes?

What GE are you using and what is the name/number?

So, if I understand correctly, you want to put a 2 note chord on the pad, and then press the pad and have it repeat the two note chord over and over at some rhythmic interval?

Citizen Dan Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
"I selected Chords for the pattern" - what does this mean as far as KARMA goes?

What GE are you using and what is the name/number?

So, if I understand correctly, you want to put a 2 note chord on the pad, and then press the pad and have it repeat the two note chord over and over at some rhythmic interval?

Thank you for your reply. The GE is 0633 16 Chord Beat1 ( under chord rhythm)
You are correct in what I am trying to accomplish, except that if I can limit it to just re-triggering once, that would be ideal, but I can work with it if it’s over and over.
In case your interested, the song I’m trying I’m trying to set it up for is Donald Fagen: New Frontier. https://youtu.be/Y8zrKnkd6ss
There’s a a synth part that that does that repeating part. I’ve got both hands busy, so I’m trying to set up on the NanoPad to have a non-keyboard player do that part (and doing the 16ths at 125 bpm gets tiring quickly!)
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I tried this with the same GE 0633 16 Chord Beat 1 and it worked fine - I didn't get any other notes than the two I played.

- On the KARMA GE page, set the Slider 4 Velocity Accents to 127.

- Use Slider 2 Rhythm Pattern to change the rhythm if necessary. By default, it should be 16ths, but a value of 61 (KARMA Value 32) would be 8th notes.

Another approach is to use 2044 RT Melodic Repeat, which repeats (echoes) the notes you play. With Repeat Transpose set to KARMA Value 0, you get a repetition of the exact notes you play.

- Set Slider 5 Repeat Repetitions to 4 (KARMA Value of 1) for one repeat. Set Sliders 6 and 7 to 127, and Slider 8 Transpose to 64.

- Now, you play your two note chord and it repeats one time.

- Make sure to turn off "Quantize Trig" on the KARMA Trigger Page for either of these methods. And turn off "Thru In Zone" on the GE Setup Page.

Citizen Dan Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, always great to get an expert opinion! I will tweak my settings and try the other suggestion and see what works best. KARMA is a very powerful tool and I’m just getting started delving into it. Love the Kronos and this forum is great as well. Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: