Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio Desk For Kronos 88
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavyP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Studio Desk Reply with quote

According to this list of compatible keyboards from their website the desk drawer does not fit any of the Kronos keyboards? Possibly because of the height or weight?

https://output.com/products/platform/keyboards
Korg Kronos 88, Korg M1, Novation SL61 MKII, Roland JV1080 with Techno expansion, Roland D110, Yamaha MU80, KRK Rokit 5 monitors, Akai ME30PII midi patch bay, Behringer RX1602 mixer, ESI ESP1010e audio interface, Quad Core PC, Cubase Pro 9.0, SE X1 condenser mic.

Guitars: Yamaha SG700, Ovation Applause electro-acoustic, Squier Strat, Roland micro cube amp.

Former: Roland Jupiter 6, Yamaha DX9, Akai X7000 sampler, Casio CZ1000, Roland SH101, Roland TR909, Roland MC500mk2, Emu Procussion.
Sonic Bodhi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: hardware-based recording solution (just my two cents) Reply with quote

In 2017 I decided to switch back to a hardware recording setup, after having used a pc-based recording solution for many years- it just made more sense after having purchased my Kronos 2 88.

As you can see, the modification consisted of building a shelf to sit on the second keyboard tier of my x-configuration stand, which replaced the M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 MIDI keyboard that originally occupied that spot. It wasn't being used anyway since I bought the Korg, honestly.

I bought a TASCAM DP-24 SD, which records 24 tracks to an SD card, and if you use a 32-GB card, you can get 4 hours of recording time at 24-bit, 48 kHz quality. Even longer if you go 16-bit. (I haven't attempted using a 64 MB card yet!). Post-processing is done on my pc, once the master is exported, and my process has been simplified greatly! Total cost of the keyboard stand conversion: $10 u.s. for the shelf board, trim, and screws! Very Happy

At some point I intend to replace my p.c. desk, but not for the same reasons you guys did. Just my two cents!
Korggal2015

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: hardware-based recording solution (just my two cents) Reply with quote

Sonic Bodhi wrote:

In 2017 I decided to switch back to a hardware recording setup, after having used a pc-based recording solution for many years- it just made more sense after having purchased my Kronos 2 88.

As you can see, the modification consisted of building a shelf to sit on the second keyboard tier of my x-configuration stand, which replaced the M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 MIDI keyboard that originally occupied that spot. It wasn't being used anyway since I bought the Korg, honestly.

I bought a TASCAM DP-24 SD, which records 24 tracks to an SD card, and if you use a 32-GB card, you can get 4 hours of recording time at 24-bit, 48 kHz quality. Even longer if you go 16-bit. (I haven't attempted using a 64 MB card yet!). Post-processing is done on my pc, once the master is exported, and my process has been simplified greatly! Total cost of the keyboard stand conversion: $10 u.s. for the shelf board, trim, and screws! Very Happy

At some point I intend to replace my p.c. desk, but not for the same reasons you guys did. Just my two cents!

Creative! THanks for sharing
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never found an acceptable piece of timber furniture to ever provide the specs I need. Maybe because I need lots of flexibility, and change my gear around often. My solution has been to make a desk from a 2 tear Z frame, which i can re configure with a hacksaw and hand drill Smile
This is my current setup, and so far I've had my KX88 in this config for the longest time out of anything. The "desk" is the centerpiece of my rig, and is self contained without the need for anything separated from it physically. All the other gear gets moved around it as needed.[/img]
Korggal2015

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DeltaJockey"]I've never found an acceptable piece of timber furniture to ever provide the specs I need. Maybe because I need lots of flexibility, and change my gear around often. My solution has been to make a desk from a 2 tear Z frame, which i can re configure with a hacksaw and hand drill Smile
This is my current setup, and so far I've had my KX88 in this config for the longest time out of anything. The "desk" is the centerpiece of my rig, and is self contained without the need for anything separated from it physically. All the other gear gets moved around it as needed.

Nice setup. You have two Korgs?! One for backup or do you actively use both?
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Both actually.
I've mentioned on here a few times my philosophy about having more than one Kronos. As it's an open architecture ssd OS system more unique in synth territory, and the centre of my music inspiration, I feel the result of a failure would impact more than the other keyboards. Though I have most of my programs and combis duplicated on each, I've also purchased a number of Korg libraries, and I do have some differences between them for this reason. I never set out for this to happen, but it has caused me some dilemma, not being able to have the same libraries on each, as a backup, with out having to purchase them twice!

The KX88 never leaves the house, but the K2 61 and PX5S are also my way of taking my music to small gatherings, and still enjoy 88 weighted playing.
Korggal2015

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
Quote:

Both actually.
I've mentioned on here a few times my philosophy about having more than one Kronos. As it's an open architecture ssd OS system more unique in synth territory, and the centre of my music inspiration, I feel the result of a failure would impact more than the other keyboards. Though I have most of my programs and combis duplicated on each, I've also purchased a number of Korg libraries, and I do have some differences between them for this reason. I never set out for this to happen, but it has caused me some dilemma, not being able to have the same libraries on each, as a backup, with out having to purchase them twice!

The KX88 never leaves the house, but the K2 61 and PX5S are also my way of taking my music to small gatherings, and still enjoy 88 weighted playing.

Thanks for sharing. I appreciate learning about different setups. Does the K2 61 and PX55 have the same feel as the KX88? Unfortunately the two local music stores here have a slim workstation/keyboard inventory so it’s hard to assess these things. I’d love to now have to lug my KX88 out to shows. Love playing on it live but I get concerned about traveling and jostling it around
DeltaJockey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Does the K2 61 and PX55 have the same feel as the KX88?

Sort of.
It's the same but different.
There are things I like about the PX5S keybed, but the RH3 is my first choice.
I find the playability of the PX to be nice in it's own way. In the early days of my Kronos2 61, I was trying to find a portable weighted keybed which transmitted release velocity as well, so as to externally control the Kronos pianos as faithfully as possible. I originally had a Roland FA08 which was a great all round WS and played very well with the Kronos pianos, also having release vel, and escapement, but it's action was a little too sluggish to me, and quickly tired my wrists for some reason. I found the PX, which also has release velocity, is also a little heavier than the RH3, though has a different response to the FA08, and is very pleasant for piano. The one thing I found, which takes getting used to on the PX, is the slight sideways wobble of the keys. Understandable considering how lightweight it is. After awhile I don't notice it, but it really makes the RH3 seem very solid in comparison when I go back to the KX 88.
Korggal2015

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeltaJockey wrote:
Quote:

Does the K2 61 and PX55 have the same feel as the KX88?

Sort of.
It's the same but different.
There are things I like about the PX5S keybed, but the RH3 is my first choice.
I find the playability of the PX to be nice in it's own way. In the early days of my Kronos2 61, I was trying to find a portable weighted keybed which transmitted release velocity as well, so as to externally control the Kronos pianos as faithfully as possible. I originally had a Roland FA08 which was a great all round WS and played very well with the Kronos pianos, also having release vel, and escapement, but it's action was a little too sluggish to me, and quickly tired my wrists for some reason. I found the PX, which also has release velocity, is also a little heavier than the RH3, though has a different response to the FA08, and is very pleasant for piano. The one thing I found, which takes getting used to on the PX, is the slight sideways wobble of the keys. Understandable considering how lightweight it is. After awhile I don't notice it, but it really makes the RH3 seem very solid in comparison when I go back to the KX 88.

Thanks so much for that helpful breakdown. I really appreciate it
JackMark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the bottom line? Did you find what you were looking for?
OlyBT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooomg, it's been a long time since I've seen a table like this. Sorry for waking up now, can't help myself.
I've been using a desk like this for a long time, and the only thing I wasn't happy with was the monitor on high and an impossibly nasty glare. I still bitch that it's so far away and seems small. For my eyesight is fine, but I can't see the fine dash. You have to stand, not sit, behind such a stand. It was more difficult to work when trying to adjust the speakers, as if I had an organ instrument in front of me, not a monitor and technique. I've come across different modifications, but in my search, I found https://eurekaergonomic.com/standing-desks/ by accident and decided to try to use it as a desktop to work with the studio.

Last edited by OlyBT on Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
average_male

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems all these options for desks posted so for don't have adjustable height? Thinking this would be a good option?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-62-in-W-x-24-in-D-Adjustable-Height-Solid-Wood-Top-Workbench-Table-in-Black-HOLT62XDB12/301810799
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: