Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New workstation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: New workstation Reply with quote

As we all waiting for new Kronos question is do we need one even with major upgrades or manufacturers are more concentrating on software upgrades I.e keyboard plus software not all in one like Kronos something like Montage and remember that Yamaha and Korg are in good terms with each other (I read not for first time that those two share technology maybe is b....t but who knows).
Even if Korg can produce new Workstation is there a reason to do it for example if I do connect my Kronos to iPad I can use many Korg and Yamaha gadgets why I need to buy 3000£ plus new Workstation which can do that on its own when I can spend 100£ on apps and have it all so my question is Kronos the last workstation or not ?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just curious - do you own a Kronos ?

or are you shopping ?
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own Kronos 2 61 after I sold Montage and I love it the best workstations in the world period .
leonh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question was will manufacturers carry on with workstations taking it into the consideration all this music software advances and again as far as workstation is concerned Kronos is on the top.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leonh wrote:
My question was will manufacturers carry on with workstations taking it into the consideration all this music software advances and again as far as workstation is concerned Kronos is on the top.

Sit tight for 3 weeks- thru day 1 of NAMM

By then we have most answers or clues. No one knows what Korgs strategy is for 2018. All we know is from looking backwards. Hindsight is easy.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fair question.

I sold my Kronos 73 first edition. I then went on a spending and trading in spree. JDXA, Blofeld, System 8, Integra 7, Matrixbrute, Minibrute, Microbrute, Roland samplers, Mx1, Alesis SR 18 and more Rolling Eyes

I then bought an iPad and bought a ton of Apps, iWorkstation, Gadget etc and they sound awesome.

So, what are my plans now. To but a Kronos 2 61 and usb Midi my iPad with it.

I agree with your assessment. If you have a Kronos and an iPad, you can have your cake and eat it. Very Happy
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
It's a fair question.

I sold my Kronos 73 first edition. I then went on a spending and trading in spree. JDXA, Blofeld, System 8, Integra 7, Matrixbrute, Minibrute, Microbrute, Roland samplers, Mx1, Alesis SR 18 and more Rolling Eyes

I then bought an iPad and bought a ton of Apps, iWorkstation, Gadget etc and they sound awesome.

I agree with your assessment. If you have a Kronos and an iPad, you can have your cake and eat it. Very Happy

Or a Kronos, a Montage and an NUC computer capable of running all of my VSTis Very Happy

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
they sound awesome.

with Kronos +iPad + IOS apps, what do you record to and record on ?
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

You can assign each iPad app to a different midi track on the Kronos sequencer
and mix and match Kronos patches and iPad patches. Then record to a Multitrack recorder. I use the Tascam DP 24.

I wouldn't have entertained using iPad synths but hearing is believing. The Korg iWavestation is awesome. Korg ARP iOdyssey is beautiful, then there is the Korg Gadget.

The hardest thing is sequencing, so the Kronos sequencer is perfect for this.

You need the Apple camera connector kit to connect the iPad and plug in the USB on the Kronos. Which is a little white lead £30

Plus there is a Kronos sequencer controller app to get a bigger Ui for the Kronos.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
GregC wrote:

and mix and match Kronos patches and iPad patches. Then record to a Multitrack recorder. I use the Tascam DP 24.

I wouldn't have entertained using iPad synths but hearing is believing. The Korg iWavestation is awesome. Korg ARP iOdyssey is beautiful, then there is the Korg Gadget.

We both record a lot. Unfortunately, I am topping out Kronos Polyphony and midi tracks on the SEQ. 16 midi tracks is a limit. I know about WAV files/audio tracks, but thats not good work flow for me.

I don't have a problem routing audio into Kronos for the SEQ. Still have the above limits.

Thats big news there is a full functional remote SEQ IOS app for Kronos. Last I knew was it was good for set list, etc, but did not completely cover the +20 tabs on SEQ.

Point me to this if you can. Thanks
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
GregC wrote:

We both record a lot. Unfortunately, I am topping out Kronos Polyphony and midi tracks on the SEQ. 16 midi tracks is a limit. I know about WAV files/audio tracks, but thats not good work flow for me.

I don't have a problem routing audio into Kronos for the SEQ. Still have the above limits.

Thats big news there is a full functional remote SEQ IOS app for Kronos. Last I knew was it was good for set list, etc, but did not completely cover the +20 tabs on SEQ.

Yes I will Greg. Nice to chat again.
In fact I've just ordered my new Kronos 61 2 this very minute, so game on. It's arriving Monday.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Description
The 'Kronos Remote' app allows you to control the famous Korg Kronos workstation from your iPad and helps you getting the maximum performance out of your Kronos. It focuses on live situations on stage to give you easy access to common pages and parameters even when the Kronos screen is not in reach or not visible. In the studio it will support your programming workflow by providing a second screen on which you can have direct access to important pages like the combi mixer while editing other pages on the Kronos screen (it does not substitute the Kronos for programming though).

A wireless connection via Bluetooth supports program changes and realtime controllers and is a convenient way on stage to control your live setup in every situation. A connection via USB cable fully supports SysEx communication and features synchronisation of all preset parameters, thus being the perfect choice during programming in your studio.

A setlist view similar to the Kronos setlist screen allows quick changes between program / combi and song presets. Optionally the app can change the mode on the Kronos and for example show the combi mixer page while your iPad still lets you access your current setlist.

You can assign .pdf files or even .mp3 files to setlist slots. .pdf files will be displayed instead of the comment field while .mp3 files bring up a mini-player - all within the setlist screen.

Slots and setlists can conveniently be edited including drag & drop slots / use the onscreen keyboard to input text / copy & paste chords or lyrics to your comments. And you can even do that offline - prepare your setlist backstage on the iPad, add new songs or move your songs in the right order, edit your comments, add leadsheets... and transfer all changes to your Kronos later when you're connected.

- Default setlist mode with slots, zoomable and scrollable
- Zoom and scroll comments in the comment-view
- Add .pdf and .mp3 files to your setlist slots
- Easily Insert and Remove setlist slots with one tap
- Edit setlist slots including color, transpose, title, comment and preset selection
- Select slot preset directly from setlist mode instead of changing forth and back between the modes
- Undo lets you reverse your edits step-wise
- A realtime controller bar features controls like ribbon controller, knobs and silders or the 8 universal pads without hiding your setlist

The mixer page and additional common editing pages can be displayed and used on the iPad. While editing on the iPad is more convenient than the Kronos touchscreen, this mode allows you to view two editing pages at the same time - like adjusting EQ settings on the Kronos screen and editing mixer settings on the iPad.

Program mode lets you change presets and offers the same access to the realtime controller surfaces as the other modes.

The mixer and EQ pages for MIDI and Audio are available in Sequencer mode. Use the iPad to always have your hands on the mixer while you're working on your tracks or effects.

• USB connection requires the iPad camera kit or USB-lightning adapter
• For a bluetooth connection an additional bluetooth MIDI dongle on the Kronos side is required. Bluetooth is only available on devices which support Bluetooth LE specification, this should be all devices above (not including) the iPad 2
• The app fully supports iPad 2 or prior but will be slow on these devices, mostly during syncing processes. Program changes and realtime controllers work fine.
• Additional infos and FAQ can be found at www.kronos-remote.com

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
Quote:

Description
The 'Kronos Remote' app allows you to control the famous Korg Kronos w____
PROGRAM

Program mode lets you change presets and offers the same access to the realtime controller surfaces as the other modes.

The mixer and EQ pages for MIDI and Audio are available in Sequencer mode. Use the iPad to always have your hands on the mixer while you're working on your tracks or effects.

• USB connection requires the iPad camera kit or USB-lightning adapter
• For a bluetooth connection an additional bluetooth MIDI dongle on the Kronos side is required. Bluetooth is only available on devices which support Bluetooth LE specification, this should be all devices above (not including) the iPad 2
• The app fully supports iPad 2 or prior but will be slow on these devices, mostly during syncing processes. Program changes and realtime controllers work fine.
• Additional infos and FAQ can be found at www.kronos-remote.com

SEQUENCER

That tells me the app is limited in SEQ mode. SEW has at least 20 different tabs to access.

No mention of that in his description.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
GregC wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
GregC wrote:

In fact I've just ordered my new Kronos 61 2 this very minute, so game on. It's arriving Monday.

good to chat, brother. Will be like the good old days with the K2.

Do you produce your own video ? I admire how you create songs and match video
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
GregC wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
GregC wrote:

good to chat, brother. Will be like the good old days with the K2.

Do you produce your own video ? I admire how you create songs and match video

It just happens Greg. I write stuff and then see how it feels and go from there with pics. There's no master plan. Just go with the flow.
My dads a jazz musician. Very analytical, I'm a bit unorthodox I suppose.
I'm not sure about the Kronos App yet but I'll let you know if it's worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: