Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about the USB functionality...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Question about the USB functionality... Reply with quote

Hi everyone Smile

I have the PA700. I've had it since the end of September 2017 and the more I play it, the more I love it Smile

While this post is not for giving a progress report on the unit, I can tell you that it is a wonderfully powerful unit and is still blowing me away.

The question I have is regarding the USB functionality of the PA700. There is a section in the Specs on Korg's website that states,

"MIDI connection can now also be done through the USB HOST ports (in addition to the USB DEVICE and the MIDI ports). This allows for easy connection of controllers like digital pianos (for example, our HAVIAN 30), or the KORG nano and micro series, with no need of special adapters,".

Does this mean that we could hook up another keyboard to it, say a Yamaha PSR-EW400 or a Casio PX-160, where both only have USB-MIDI, and actually play the sounds from the PA700 from the Yamaha or Casio?

The reason I am asking is that the PSR-EW400 is a 76-key instrument that has a really great piano sound on it (as well as some DX type EP stuff). It too has a pretty good amplifier section for the onboard sounds (12w X 12w).

I posted this question to a Facebook page for the PA700 and got a response but the gentleman had a PA600 and had a laptop in between both units.

If I understand the wording correctly from Korg's website, then being able to play the PA700 from an external USB keyboard (assuming that the one you are trying to control the Korg with is class compliant) is possible without using the Kenton device or a laptop.

I am not really looking to control the Arranger functions, but rather just be able to have a really good piano sound to layer with other sounds from the PA700. I have many other keyboards with traditional MIDI that I could use, one of them being the Yamaha P-95. I was just curios though as to the units with USB that have Host and Device ports, like the PSR-EW400.

Additionally, the PSR-EW400 prices out at around $300 and is a great buy in and of itself. To have their piano sound at such a low price if the USB MIDI thing works with the Korg, is kind of a no-brainer.

Any advice is appreciated.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not much different than you could achieve with all the Pa series for many years now. Midi in and out has been available via the USB "B' type connector at the back (the squarish USB port). The difference with the Pa700 according to the specs is that you can now also do this via the standard type "A" connector as well (the common long rectangle shape USB you see everywhere).
This is good because everyone tends to have a few of these cables laying around.
On a side note if its a nice piano for the Pa700 you need check out the Pa3x forum section where I have posted a new piano that should work fine on your keyboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: