Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's the best piano sound for Korg TR available now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dav

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: What's the best piano sound for Korg TR available now? Reply with quote

I've recently purchased a good Korg TR-88, and 64mb ram for it, and am looking for the most realistic piano sample I can find for it. Most of the posts I've read here concerning piano samples are so old the links they contain are no longer working.

I was wondering what options there are in 2018 are for piano samples for the Korg TR. The only one I can find for sale online now is the k-sound ones. Are there any others available (for sale or free) to consider?

Also, is there a more active user group for the TR somewhere?

Thanks. I think the Korg TR is a nice workstation.

- Dav
wpostma

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also recently purchased a used Korg TR 88, and while I can't vouch for the sound quality of anything I haven't bought yet and can't load yet, I have noticed that if you have 64 MB of RAM installed, there are third party piano patches out there that sound pretty good to my ears.

Earlier threads (2010) from here are probably relevant:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=50230&sid=75d4ef8434af5487bc1a0813121a4d2a

I'm not gonna link to stuff you can find with google but if your google search doesn't include a ksounds site, you googled it wrong. The price there seems steep to me in 2018, but hey.

I'm still waiting for the EXB-SMPL and the RAM I ordered to arrive.

Warren

Warren Canada
Dav

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a late thanks, but thanks for the reply wpostma. I ended up selling my TR to raise some quick cash. When I had it I used the dark piano patch on one of lower banks, but copied an A bank effect for it (either piano or drum, can't recall now), tweaked the EQ a little and got a much more usable piano sound.

The TR was a nice keyboard, regret selling it. Picked up a beautiful KROME this week for less than a sold the TR for. The TR keys were better, but the KROME has more sounds I can use.

- Dav
wpostma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the time since I posted that I have become quite adept at tweaking combis for piano sounds.

I have the eXb-SMPL with 64 mb RAM.

I load a korg Jazz Piano multisample into ram, and I blend that sound with some of the onboard piano sounds.

The crazy synth combi sounds on here are so fun to tweak. I am curious if you have full prog and combi editing with the krome or is it just a play the patches and forget the edits, with a krome?

I layer the combis with velocity ranges, to create a sound which has a rich expressive playability with about 10 distinct sounds depending on velocity you press. The thing is piano characters vary so much.

One day my ears will be tired of the amount of revert I had on the combi and so I'll tweak that, or add a tiny bit of chorus. Another day I'll move one of the piano sounds panned mid-left or mid-right.

I added a second external pedal so I have sustain and soft pedal function.

I also use my Korg TR as a good weighted controller to play some really nice piano vsts.

When I get tired of the limits of combi editing, I switch to prog editing.

My next tweak will be sampled hammer and mechanical piano noise, added as a prog, which uses a multisample in ram.

It's really horrible that they don't let you autoload the ram from a default bank at power up, as all progs and combis that depend on ram multisamples come up with no sound for that until you load your multisample. What a sad limit.

W

Warren Canada
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: