Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SHould I get a King Korg if I have a Kronos 2?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blazerunner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: SHould I get a King Korg if I have a Kronos 2? Reply with quote

Hello. Been looking at the King Korg like the sounds and filters but I just purchased a Kronos 2. I'm in love with the sounds on there but I'm curious if I brought a king Korg would it be pointless when I have a Kronos? Would I be stepping over the same sounds I could get out the Kronos?
xp50player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s a lot of sonic overlap. The Kronos is a lot more of a premium performance synth for analog sounds, with a better keybed, ribbon strip, vector stick, KARMA and aftertouch. The KingKorg’s main advantages are ease of programming, the variety of oscillator types, and filters modeled after several classic synths. If you intend to roll your own sounds and/or need the extra keys in your setup, the KingKorg could be useful. I like the sounds and there are free coverband banks available too, but the keybed was too light for me.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a first generation Kronos but fell in love with the King Korg. To my ears, they don't really sound alike but I think they complement each other very well. I have in the past used them both on a gig and have the KK midied up to the Kronos. I have combis with some sounds on midi channel 1 and an organ sound on midi channel 2. With the KK set to midi channel 2 I can play the organ sounds from the Kronos on my KK. I just have to remember to turn the volume on the KK off. On other combis where I don't have anything set to channel 2, I have the volume on the KK up and play its sounds with one hand and a different sound on my Kronos. It works great!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xp50player wrote:
There’s a lot of sonic overlap.
The KingKorg’s main advantages are...the variety of oscillator types, and filters modeled after several classic synths

and also the tube. Which, to me, adds up to not so much sonic overlap.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the 2 of them together a lot and even though there is some sonic overlap, the KK can do things that the Kronos can't do. AFAIK there are more filters to choose from for example.
I might be biased but I really like the KK. The thing that bugs me the most about it is the crappy Leslie sim for organ sounds but other than tha t, it's a killer little synth.
I like to do these free form proggish jams with friends and I use the Classic Lead sound. I sometimes will click the effects over to ring mod and mess with that. The sound is off the scale madness! Especially when you are riffing and also tweaking the depth control of the ring mod.
Highly recommended!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KingKORG All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: