Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simple arp layer in combi mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maltheross

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Simple arp layer in combi mode Reply with quote

Hey

I got my Kronos a week ago, and i'm slowly getting familiar with it, but now I have run in to a problem that I cannot solve myself.

I programmed an arpeggiated sound that i'm satisfied with in program mode and now I want to apply it to my combi, but i can't figure out how to get KARMA to only arpeggiate that particular layer and not all of my pad layers on top of it - how can I do that?

Hope to find some help in here Smile
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma has a Midi I/O section on the “GE Setup” page where each of the 4 karma modules get a midi In channel and a midi Out channel.
If the karma module I/O is set to output on the global channel, all the timbre/tracks programs will be arppegiated by that karma module

Set the Karma Module Midi I/O output channel to a separate channel from the rest of the modules but not set to Gch and then set your timbre of choice to that same separated midi channel used by its karma module. Leave the input side of Midi I/O on Gch for internal sounds of kronos.

TIMBRE PARAMETERS tab page has a section to set the midi channel of each timbre. Go there to set your timbre of choice to the same midi channel the Karma module midi I/O output channel was set to. Ncethey share an isolated midi channel, they will work together isolated from other timbre.

Page 475 of parameter guide has the details. You may want to start on page 474 and end on page 476.

Once you figure out the midi I/O setup, be sure that the timbre parameter settings have the midi channels of all unwanted timbres set to a channel not used by Karma. Even better is to turn the unwanted timbres off. All combi timbre should be on Gch(global channel which is usually channel 1). Only karma and EXT configured timbres should be set to other channels and they should each get a separate channel unless you want more than one of them to respond to Karma or drive EXT. Karma i believe can send out to EXT devices for double duty of internal and external sounds.

I hope it comes easy for you.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midi I/O is not available in Program mode because all programs play over Global channel only. So when you start karma work in Program and then move the prgram to combi or sequencer, you will have to work out midi I/O to separate the various programs in timbres from the Karma module assignment.
maltheross

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

19naia wrote:

Set the Karma Module Midi I/O output channel to a separate channel from the rest of the modules but not set to Gch and then set your timbre of choice to that same separated midi channel used by its karma module. Leave the input side of Midi I/O on Gch for internal sounds of kronos.

TIMBRE PARAMETERS tab page has a section to set the midi channel of each timbre. Go there to set your timbre of choice to the same midi channel the Karma module midi I/O output channel was set to. Ncethey share an isolated midi channel, they will work together isolated from other timbre.

Thanks for your awesome reply man!

I actually tried doing that before, but I couldn't find the way to make the (kronos) keyboard itself transmit to other midi channels than the global one. Then of course the arpeggiator won't sound because it is not receiving any MIDI. How do I fix this?
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maltheross wrote:

I actually tried doing that before, but I couldn't find the way to make the (kronos) keyboard itself transmit to other midi channels than the global one. Then of course the arpeggiator won't sound because it is not receiving any MIDI. How do I fix this?

all your questions are answered in this tutorial i created.

Madkeyz93

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Spliting the Arp Reply with quote

19naia wrote:
Karma has a Midi I/O section on the “GE Setup” page where each of the 4 karma modules get a midi In channel and a midi Out channel.
If the karma module I/O is set to output on the global channel, all the timbre/tracks programs will be arppegiated by that karma module

Page 475 of parameter guide has the details. You may want to start on page 474 and end on page 476.

Once you figure out the midi I/O setup, be sure that the timbre parameter settings have the midi channels of all unwanted timbres set to a channel not used by Karma. Even better is to turn the unwanted timbres off. All combi timbre should be on Gch(global channel which is usually channel 1). Only karma and EXT configured timbres should be set to other channels and they should each get a separate channel unless you want more than one of them to respond to Karma or drive EXT. Karma i believe can send out to EXT devices for double duty of internal and external sounds.

I hope it comes easy for you.

The problem is that if you want to split the arp part from the rest of the timbres, you can't do it (or at least I haven't found the solution). Because you have to set the Midi I/O Input Channel to Gch otherwise you won't have any sound in your arp, which in my noob opinion is frustrating. If you split the arp line, even though you are pressing keys from outside the arp timbre zone, you still trigger the arp. You can't here it right away but if you press the keys from within the arp part, you here it normally. Then if you also press another key from outside that zone, the arp starts to drop notes or change its pattern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: