Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Korg should do if new Kronos not released on NAMM 2018
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
arne v
Full Member


Joined: 23 Aug 2011
Posts: 195
Location: Norway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw some YT videos on the prologue and its confusing....they say its analogue when osc 1 and 2 is VCO, but osc 3 is some hybrid virtuel waveform "stuff" (?)
can you run it in duo/paraphonic mode since VCO1 & 2 prob are monophonic?
whats the point when all polyphony runs on OSC 3 and osc 1 and 2 is just for show. To me it sounds like the DS Rev2 (DCO not VCO), very metallic sounding (nothing wrong with that) but they shoudnt call it analogue if its not. i almost bought the Rev2 but ended up with the arturia matrixbrute and MFB Dominion 1. They are true analogue and sound analogue Smile

BUT i will check it out if i get the chance
regards
_________________
https://soundcloud.com/bob-frode
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marc1
Junior Member


Joined: 04 May 2015
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ng_friend wrote:
Quote:
is there still a chance they are keeping some things under wraps until the show actually begins?


That's always possible, but imo rather unlikely. With the introduction of Korg's new flagship analogue synth (prologue) at this years Namm, I suspect they'll avoid any interference with other supposed flagship products that could split attention among potential buyers. So I think it's a rather sure bet that we won't see a Kronos successor during this decade anymore. Why? Business strategy - Korg's main concerns during the last couple of years having been true analogue synthesis and the maintenance of the Kronos platform.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fomalhaut



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No new Kronos is good for keeping the resale value of my unit one more year Wink

From my understanding, the Kronos has no rivals, Yamaha, Roland and the likes don't have workstation-class equivalents, one could even suspect they have retired of that segment due to the Kronos success. (It's fair to say that Yamaha and Roland have different interesting gear, like the FA08 or the Montage, but they are not straight Kronos competitors)

So Korg is the incumbent here and they are taking things slow. Lacking hardware updates, I guess an OS update would be nice, but what features does the Kronos lack? What do you think about these that come to mind:

- Piano roll like the Kronos. I would also love a Synthesia-like feature that would show current notes on a keyboard when playing a sequence (useful for learners like myself, not so useful for pro musicians)
- Karma pattern edition, without needing the Karma Software.
- More synth engines. This would surely depend on how stressed is the current architecture.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fomalhaut



Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[edit, double post]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 7051
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Well, doesn't look like Korg are unveiling a radical new workstation at this year's NAMM, though there are some cool products nonetheless (and only 38% of them are tuners!).

prologue   POLYPHONIC ANALOGUE SYNTHESIZER
volca mix    ANALOGUE PERFORMANCE MIXER 
D1  DIGITAL PIANO
ARP ODYSSEY FSQ DUOPHONIC SYNTHESIZER
KR-55 Pro  KORG RHYTHM
KONNECT  PORTABLE STEREO PA SYSTEM
KDM-3  DIGITAL METRONOME
AW-OTG-POLY / AW-OTB-POLY  POLYPHONIC CLIP-ON TUNER
AW-OTG / AW-OTB  CLIP-ON TUNER
CA-50  CHROMATIC TUNER
GA-50   GUITAR/BASS TUNER
Pitchblack Advance MG PEDAL TUNER
KORG Gadget for Nintendo Switch MUSIC PRODUCTION STUDIO


while Korg is known for keyboards, they offer about 300-400 different products.

This is spread roughly over 10 product families.

This is part of the bigger picture of Korg.

While we discuss Kronos 99% of the time, for Korg true its a keyboard flagship ( its aging IMO) , Kronos is just 1 piece of the big puzzle.

They are diversified which is standard good business sense.
_________________
Kronos 88. nanoPAD2. Roland FA-07, MBP, UR44
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant


Joined: 30 Jan 2005
Posts: 1059
Location: Seattle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arne v wrote:
i saw some YT videos on the prologue and its confusing....they say its analogue when osc 1 and 2 is VCO, but osc 3 is some hybrid virtuel waveform "stuff" (?)
can you run it in duo/paraphonic mode since VCO1 & 2 prob are monophonic?
whats the point when all polyphony runs on OSC 3 and osc 1 and 2 is just for show. To me it sounds like the DS Rev2 (DCO not VCO), very metallic sounding (nothing wrong with that) but they shoudnt call it analogue if its not. i almost bought the Rev2 but ended up with the arturia matrixbrute and MFB Dominion 1. They are true analogue and sound analogue Smile

BUT i will check it out if i get the chance
regards


It is fully polyphonic. It is not paraphonic. VCO1 and 2 are not monophonic.

Tell you what, it is one huge sounding synth.

Busch.
_________________
Kronos 73, Minilogue, VL-1, V-Synth, B3 w/122, (3) Rhodes, Clavinet D6, 200a, AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, Hammond SK-1, Protools HD, Mac Pro, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, East West, Ivory, Komplete 8, Spectrasonics, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ng_friend



Joined: 17 Jan 2018
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marc1 wrote:
ng_friend wrote:
Quote:
is there still a chance they are keeping some things under wraps until the show actually begins?


That's always possible, but imo rather unlikely. With the introduction of Korg's new flagship analogue synth (prologue) at this years Namm, I suspect they'll avoid any interference with other supposed flagship products that could split attention among potential buyers. So I think it's a rather sure bet that we won't see a Kronos successor during this decade anymore. Why? Business strategy - Korg's main concerns during the last couple of years having been true analogue synthesis and the maintenance of the Kronos platform.


That's a fair point. I guess I was mostly entertaining the possibility of a Kronos refresh this year, more than a successor. Something where they release another updated model with more RAM, larger storage, and maybe a big OS update. I suppose it does seem pretty unlikely at this point with most of the NAMM announcements already out, so maybe I should just head out and pick up the Kronos2 already.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lightbringer
Full Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2018
Posts: 123
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pretty much been in the same boat as you, ng_friend, wondering if I'm about to purchase a product that's about to be discontinued. I feel pretty confident after Korg's recent announcements that Kronos will live another year, so I ordered mine today.

But even if it doesn't, I'm also trying to look at it from the perspective that it's an instrument vs. a piece of technology. More like a guitar than a computer (even though it technically is a computer). It seems to me a fine instrument, and from that perspective it's timeless. People will continue to seek them in the secondary market even after a successor arrives, just like pretty much all vintage Korg instruments.

PS- short time lurker, first post. So, hey, everyone!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 7051
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
I have pretty much been in the same boat as you, ng_friend, wondering if I'm about to purchase a product that's about to be discontinued. I feel pretty confident after Korg's recent announcements that Kronos will live another year, so I ordered mine today.

But even if it doesn't, I'm also trying to look at it from the perspective that it's an instrument vs. a piece of technology. More like a guitar than a computer (even though it technically is a computer). It seems to me a fine instrument, and from that perspective it's timeless. People will continue to seek them in the secondary market even after a successor arrives, just like pretty much all vintage Korg instruments.

PS- short time lurker, first post. So, hey, everyone!



Congrats on your purchase and welcome aboard.

You were wise to wait close to NAMM. It does not appear that Korg is going to surprise us with something extraordinary on the Kronos front.

They are busy showing off the Prologue and its getting excellent buzz.

I think you have a good perspective on tech/keyboards and Kronos. I think the demand is steady maybe even strong, which is amazing.

Got a question- the K has been around for 6 years. Why pull the trigger now
? ( vs before )

Thanks
_________________
Kronos 88. nanoPAD2. Roland FA-07, MBP, UR44
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ng_friend



Joined: 17 Jan 2018
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
I have pretty much been in the same boat as you, ng_friend, wondering if I'm about to purchase a product that's about to be discontinued. I feel pretty confident after Korg's recent announcements that Kronos will live another year, so I ordered mine today.

But even if it doesn't, I'm also trying to look at it from the perspective that it's an instrument vs. a piece of technology. More like a guitar than a computer (even though it technically is a computer). It seems to me a fine instrument, and from that perspective it's timeless. People will continue to seek them in the secondary market even after a successor arrives, just like pretty much all vintage Korg instruments.

PS- short time lurker, first post. So, hey, everyone!


That's a fair point. The Kronos2 is a fine instrument. Given the lack of a mention in the NAMM announcements, I might end up just pulling the trigger on it as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lightbringer
Full Member


Joined: 07 Jan 2018
Posts: 123
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I hope to make some good contributions here (and I will probably ask a few newbie questions too).

Quote:
Why pull the trigger now


It's a fair question, one I've asked myself more than once.

1) First time in 6 years I felt I could comfortably afford it without having to make some sacrifices

2) The realization that a collection of VSTs and MIDI controllers (though I do have some good ones) does not necessarily equal a unified, cohesive, purpose built workstation/instrument.

On the workstation front, I have a Juno-G today, and I really enjoy it. I'm ready to raise the bar though, so to speak. I've been looking at what's available. I don't see anything that rivals the Kronos, even with newer boards.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GregC
Platinum Member


Joined: 15 May 2002
Posts: 7051
Location: Discovery Bay (San Francisco Bay Area)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Thanks! I hope to make some good contributions here (and I will probably ask a few newbie questions too).

Quote:
Why pull the trigger now


It's a fair question, one I've asked myself more than once.

1) First time in 6 years I felt I could comfortably afford it without having to make some sacrifices

2) The realization that a collection of VSTs and MIDI controllers (though I do have some good ones) does not necessarily equal a unified, cohesive, purpose built workstation/instrument.

On the workstation front, I have a Juno-G today, and I really enjoy it. I'm ready to raise the bar though, so to speak. I've been looking at what's available. I don't see anything that rivals the Kronos, even with newer boards.


Lots of folks like the Kronos 'work flow '.

It is expensive, for sure. If I was president of Korg, I would decrease the price. Or fund a collection of 3rd party sample libs.

But economics rule, as we know.
_________________
Kronos 88. nanoPAD2. Roland FA-07, MBP, UR44
Achieve your musical dreams Smile
https://soundcloud.com/user-898236994
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
highlandstudio91



Joined: 08 Apr 2017
Posts: 36

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What Korg should do if new Kronos not released on NAMM 2 Reply with quote

andersborg wrote:
They could optimize the hardware, to make it cheaper to produce, add a larger SSD, add a higher resolution display (provided the UI is re-designed to make use of it), add more pre-installed instruments etc.

Maybe release a mid-price model, the way the M50 was a budget M3, without a few of the more costly features?


In terms of optimization,all I would like to see,is Korg utilize flash memory,as Yamaha has done with their XF series.
I was thinking very much along the same lines,regarding wanting Korg to come out with a M3-style keyboard.
The Kross 2 was brilliant...but what I really want,is to have an all-in-one alternative to a PC workstation,as I have grown very weary of dealing with software installation issues,registration issues and Windows 10 problems.
The Kronos is virtually everything I ever wanted in a keyboard workstation,but I am really frustrated with Korg,for not using flash memory in their keyboards!Why??Flash memory is so incredibly inexpensive these days and Roland has finally utilized flash memory with their mid-grade workstation(FA-series.)
Slow,outdated OS's that Korg uses,is the very reason why I won't deviate from my PC workstation & I just cannot justify spending thousands of dollars for a keyboard that takes just as long to boot up,as my computer...WTF!?

If the Yamaha Genos wasn't $5,500....I would have gone that route,with no hesitation.
I'll wait and see what turns up in the upcoming Winter Namm(hopefully,Yamaha will have made a successor to their Motif XF-series and if that is the case,I will leave Korg in the dust and never look back.
Sounds Good [/b]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danmusician
Platinum Member


Joined: 08 Apr 2009
Posts: 806
Location: Southern PA

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d actually dispute the idea that the Kronos is expensive. Back in the day when the M1 debuted, the common price point for a workstation keyboard was 2 grand, and that was for 61 key keyboard. A month and a half ago I bought a brand new K2 88 with case for three grand from ProAudioStar. Adjusted for inflation compared to the M1, that’s a bargain!
_________________
Kronos 2 88, Kronos Classic 73, PX-5S, Kronos 2 61, Roli Seaboard Rise 49, MOTU Mach 5, Authorized Steinway, Real Guitar, MOTU 896HD, Digital Performer, Band-in-a-Box with Real Tracks, iPad Pro, Bose L1 Model II, Bose L1 Compact
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
leonh
Full Member


Joined: 21 Feb 2009
Posts: 184
Location: Hadleigh UK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if this is the last workstation taking into consideration that most people use keyboard and DAW think Montage and Cubase or newest Prologue with DAW who knows I am happy go have Kronos but I had M1 ages ago new generation does not have same connection as us so we may have classic on our hands.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group