Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electribe Sampler 2 as Ableton MIDI controller

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickyG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Electribe Sampler 2 as Ableton MIDI controller Reply with quote

Hi, I've done some intense googling but cannot find an answer to this surprisingly...

Trying to use the Electribe Sampler 2 as a midi controller in Ableton, it shows up in midi devices and I can get it to control stuff, but it seems kind of random, for example:

If I add a drum track in Ableton, set midi input as electribe and channel to 1 I can use the pads to trigger drums, but they are not in order, so I cant trigger all of them as most of the notes triggered are outside of the drum racks range, even if I change octaves.

Also, if I add a vst synth to another track, the knobs will control the knobs on the vst but again, at random and only if I set the midi input channel to All Inputs.

The facility assign knobs to specific vst parameter doesn't seem to work.

I know the electribe isn't a midi controller as such, but it seems the potential is there and would be really useful if anyone knows how to make it behave as one properly.
Trevbo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: KORG ES2 Reply with quote

I don't have one..... but what you should try is in ableton midi options only select remote on. This should let you assign any midi number to the Korg when in ableton midi assign mode.

https://www.ableton.com/answers/how-do-i-get-ableton-to-accept-midi-mappings

Also here is a M4L plugin

http://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/2816/electribe2-pattern-editor
IncredibleTendril

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I have been using my E2 synth as a controller in ableton, and it is surpisingly powerful indeed.

For drum racks, you'll need to set your rack up so that your drum sounds correspond to whatever notes your electribe is triggering. Play a pad on your electribe, and see what drum cell it is triggering, and then drop the sample you want to use onto that drum cell. It would probably make the most sense to use the keyboard mode on your electribe, and set the scale to chromatic. It gets a bit weird if you're trying to use trigger mode because every pad will be playing a C. This way, you can use one part(one midi channel) on your electribe to control all your drums. It just takes a bit of setting up. It's definitely better than using multiple parts on the electribe, with each part being just one drum sample. You can have a huge drum rack with a ton of samples if you use the octave buttons to select which part of the drum rack you are triggering.

As Trevbo said, check your midi settings in ableton and you should be able to map your parameters.

I really think that the E2 has been overlooked and underestimated as a controller. You can send midi on all 16 channels. You can set up templates with varying scales, mono/poly settings for each part, velocity settings for each part, chord mode, step jump,etc. I only wish it had some more knobs and that the "clicky" knobs could be mapped for the purpose of sending inc/dec messages, and that I could figure out how to get the xy pad to send out midi (does anyone know what how to do this?)

One thing I cannot get the electribe to do is sync clock to ableton (it is a very messy and unreliable sync), so I never record and midi into its sequencer or even have the sequencer running (but there's no reason why you couldn't record midi sequences into it and then record those into ableton clips...i just find thata messy way of working. If you can get it to somehow sync properly, you could xefinitely do that.

Just think of the electribe as a midi keyboard and it becomes something very powerful.
masterc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all! is there any solution to making ableton recieve midi from only one channel - let's say midi channel 2- from my electribe 2?

for ex: i want to use channel 1 on electribe to program a kick and sequence it.
then on channel 2 i want to program a sequence for a vst im running in ableton.

but i can't do that, because in ableton, on the vst channel i wanted to sequence,i will recieve the sequence for the vst but also the one from the kick channel. (Ableton seems to recieve on all midi channels)

can i filter or set something up to fix this?
cheers
IncredibleTendril

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the "MIDI from" dropdown menu on the channels in ableton. Set the kick channel to receive from MIDI channel 1, and the VST channel to receive from MIDI channel 2.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IncredibleTendril wrote:
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I have been using my E2 synth as a controller in ableton, and it is surpisingly powerful indeed.

For drum racks, you'll need to set your rack up so that your drum sounds correspond to whatever notes your electribe is triggering. Play a pad on your electribe, and see what drum cell it is triggering, and then drop the sample you want to use onto that drum cell. It would probably make the most sense to use the keyboard mode on your electribe, and set the scale to chromatic. It gets a bit weird if you're trying to use trigger mode because every pad will be playing a C. This way, you can use one part(one midi channel) on your electribe to control all your drums. It just takes a bit of setting up. It's definitely better than using multiple parts on the electribe, with each part being just one drum sample. You can have a huge drum rack with a ton of samples if you use the octave buttons to select which part of the drum rack you are triggering.

As Trevbo said, check your midi settings in ableton and you should be able to map your parameters.

I really think that the E2 has been overlooked and underestimated as a controller. You can send midi on all 16 channels. You can set up templates with varying scales, mono/poly settings for each part, velocity settings for each part, chord mode, step jump,etc. I only wish it had some more knobs and that the "clicky" knobs could be mapped for the purpose of sending inc/dec messages, and that I could figure out how to get the xy pad to send out midi (does anyone know what how to do this?)

One thing I cannot get the electribe to do is sync clock to ableton (it is a very messy and unreliable sync), so I never record and midi into its sequencer or even have the sequencer running (but there's no reason why you couldn't record midi sequences into it and then record those into ableton clips...i just find thata messy way of working. If you can get it to somehow sync properly, you could xefinitely do that.

Just think of the electribe as a midi keyboard and it becomes something very powerful.

I know it's been months, I use Maschine and I have midi in and out connected without any problem. I can record in Maschine from the Electribe and viceversa, but I usually have Maschine to record live and Electribe for sequence and I can run both at the same time, I only have Maschine midi out so if I press record on the Electribe it will overdub, if I want record automatation in the Electribe I filter the midi note in the global menu,do it and go back...but I usually do it in Maschine so I have also the curve of tha automatation.

The only weird thing is that part mute doesn't work, it actually stop the midi from the Electribe not the audio so if you have a double sequencer on a part I have to mute in both,but also I found useful for transition Smile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: