Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Bass Stuck Notes and MIDI Implementation Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Yocum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Volca Bass Stuck Notes and MIDI Implementation Questions Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have set of bass pedals I made that uses an Arduino for reading the keyboard and outputting MIDI. It's an extremely simple, low note priority arrangement that works really well—most of the time. My Volca Bass serves as the sound engine.

When I use my setup with my band, playing it with my feet, I will sometimes get stuck notes on the Volca Bass. Unfortunately, I am unable to reproduce the problem on the workbench. I am sending simple Note On (at velocity 127) and Note Off messages via MIDI.

I have studied the MIDI Implementation Chart for the Volca Bass. I have some questions that I hope some of you can help with:

1. According to the chart, the Volca Bass does not even recognize Note Off. How then are you supposed to turn the last note off? Do you send Note On with a velocity of 1 (the chart says it doesn't recognize a velocity of 0)? Or, do you send All Notes Off?
2. If a new note is ready to be played, would it would be a good idea to simply play the new note without worrying about shutting the last note off, since the Volca Bass is Last Note Priority?
3. I am confused by the idea of turning MIDI RX ShortMessage On and Off and why you wouldn't want this parameter On always? According to the chart, successful recognition of many MIDI messages are dependent on it.

I appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Yocum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a little more research since I wrote originally:

1. The Text and PDF versions of the Volca Bass MIDI Implementation Chart differ; the Text version says Note Off is recognized, while the PDF version says it's not.
2. I changed my code to not send a Note Off after a previous note if a note is played immediately after it. The Volca Bass would accept this to a point and then held on the last note played.

Thanks again for any help you can give!

Mike
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike.
This is mainly guess work ,but hope to be any help.
1 strange...printing error doesn't help.
I would say all notes off may be useful for you to fix any stuck notes when it goes wrong.
Sending note of velocity 1 is unconventional and a note off msg is what we'd expect.
2 not sure,I haven't used the Vbass. It's feasible as its a bass synth?
3 I'm guessing short msgs are all note info and with this off only clock ,program changes and sysem ex msgs are sent.
Hopefully some one more knowledgable can chime in here.

Strange you only get this when live. There is a clue here. Try and home in on any changes ,anything you leave at home? Midi splitters, cables ? Or battery operated /different stuff you take to the gig.
Mike Yocum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response, Spheric El!

I wrote to Korg Support re: the MIDI Implementation Chart discrepancy. Obviously, the Volca Bass does respond to Note Off. When you're trying to eliminate variables, however, the differences in the Chart are frustrating.

I previously had a Dave Smith MoPho Desktop as the sound engine for the pedals and never experienced the hung note problem. I thought the MoPho was overkill for my simple needs, so I got the Volca Bass thinking it was a good, monophonic bass voice. And it is, except for this problem.

What, then, is the compliment of MIDI RX ShortMessage? MIDI RX LongMessage? When I Google it, the only place I can find MIDI RX ShortMessage referred to is in Java documentation.

Thanks,
Mike
Spheric El
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about short msg off. Try it - if it turns your notes off it may not be so useful for you.
Mike Yocum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is what I found:

I finally heard from Korg. They said,

Quote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for contacting Korg USA Product Support. We’re not sure if you received a response to your last inquiry. If not, we apologize for the delay!

The Volca Bass does recognize MIDI note off messages.

Best Regards,
Product Support
Korg USA, Inc.

I did find the problem! The Arduino that is the smarts of my bass pedals was underpowered. I was feeding it +5V and it needs a minimum of +7V through its power port. This problem was causing occasional reboots. My fault.

Lastly, I still don't know what MIDI RX ShortMessage is, except for the importance of making sure it's on.

Thanks to Spheric El for the responses!

Mike
AndrewBloom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

my guess is that rx ShortMessages means the midi messages made of 3 bytes.

Look at this page to check which messages are of that type:
https://users.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave.Marshall/Multimedia/node158.html#SECTION04133000000000000000

you basically can have messages of 3 bytes or sysex messages that usually are longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: