Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sending MIDI from DSI TEMPEST to KRONOS 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pidcin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Sending MIDI from DSI TEMPEST to KRONOS 2 Reply with quote

I made a project with 8 different beats in the DSI tempest , and they’re in a playlist so they play as a full song . My goal is to send these beats to the Kronos , and have the midi files so I can use the sounds of the Kronos and sequence the rest of the song .

Anyone has any clues on how to do this with the midi cable ?

My main goal is simply to have the midi data from the tempest be in the sequencer of the Kronos .

And am also wondering how do I set it up so that they’re both working in tangent ? I want the Kronos to be the master clock and tempest to be the slave so that when I click play on the Kronos , the tempest will playback the drum beat I’ve created as well to the set BPM of the Kronos .
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may need two midi cables. Send the midi OUT of Kronos to the midi IN of tempest and the midi out of tempest to the midi in of kronos.

A dedicated midi channel will be needed. Something other than Global channel. You could uses drum track channel but that is not always the best when you want to run kronos drum track in tandem with Tempest drum songs. Set the midi track up in Kronos sequencer mode.
Use a track that is set to the same midi channel as tempest but not same as global or drum track. Just for the transfer of midi data. Safest way to not get data from notes or dum track mixed into the pattern.

You can do a midi dump into kronos if you want and retrieve it to use in Sequencer, but i am not sure how DSI is with midi dumps.
What i do with my drum machine paired with Kronos is set sequencer track to same channel as Drum machine channel and then set kronos song length to one measure more than the drum machine song/chain/playlist length and then start record on kronos and cue in the drum machine play manually.
Kronos will record all midi data over the recording midi channel track which should record temepest if set to same midi channel as tempest.
Then you can go to track edit and trim off the excess recorded space between start and stop of recording.

You have to be ready to handle note number inconsistencies between tempest and kronos. Maybe temepest is compatible with kronos note number mapping and will save you extra work. Extra work would be scrolling through transpose on the kronos track to find which position lines up with tempest note number map. Or IF tempest has note number map settings, you could do that there.
Another option is note mapping apps or device which would be an added device in the midi link. My drum machine instrument note map is a full 12 steps offset from kronos. So i transpose kronos kits 12 step up. But i did run into a drum pattern that was mapped somewhere around 5 or 8 steps off from kronos. Most are a standard 12 steps of transpose offsetting.

You can keep the pattern song in Sequencer or use RPPR “convert to drum track” function to have the pattern song as a drum track pattern stored in user pattern bank.

My drum machine allows me to record kronos patterns into it and then the drum machine has 50 drum fill variations for me to choose from to expand the rhythm into a full song with fills and breaks that kronos does not have. So i keep the pattern in the drum machine to conserve kronos polyphony which can easily run out with the way i like to stack up combis.

But you have an analog synth based drum machine which is different, so how i work may not apply to you.

My Boss DR 880 is a 2 part sequencer in itself, so i have the option of recording kronos midi into drum machine or drum machine midi into kronos. Also it has a bass guitar section and 40 bass sounds to select from and play on its own channel -with separate volume and separate midi channel. Conserves my bass section polyphony on kronos.

I like to run the drum machine drum kits together with kronos drum kits because they have different sound quality where Kronos picks up well on one side of the sound scape and the drum machine makes up for kronos on the other side of the sound scape. Fuller sound with blended kits from different sound quality platforms.

Last edited by 19naia on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had issues with sorting out start/stop between kronos and dr-880, while also incorporating Karma.
I ended up setting both kronos and drum machine to “auto midi” in global mode. And because i have kronos drum kit timbre set to EXT to recieve drum machine midi notes, Kronos defaults to the external drum machine tempo. But that works for me because i have 500 user pattern slots in the drum machine that i can set each to any desired tempo. So i have a dr 880 pattern to match each kronos combi and set each drum machine pattern to the tempo that matches the kronos combi it works for.
So in the end It doesn’t matter which tempo clock is followed because the tempo is set per each combi and program to match each corresponding drum pattern in drum machine. They will always sync regardless of which device the master clock is coming from.
What i gain by using auto-midi set as such on both devices, is that when i turn on Karma, i don’t have sync issues and Karma will also stop when i press start/stop on drum machine or kronos start/stop. It all works together automatically when set to auto midi. I had to use midi filters to separate shared program change messages and you can pick and choose other messages to filter out.

I ended up setting drum machine foot switch to Start/Stop function and use that to start and stop the drum machine. Because the start/stop button on kronos only works in sequencer mode. I then use Kronos footswitch for something else like SW control in the combi, to bring in and out LFO and such parameter changes.
When foot switch takes over start/stop function ,it will send the message to Kronos and drum machine even if i am in Combi where i do all my live playing from. It stops Karma for me too, all the way from the drum machine linked to kronos over 5pin midi cable.
I use two cables for two way communication. Bass notes are sent from kronos to drive drum machine bass guitar section, drum notes are sent from drum machine to drive kronos drum kits, and start/stop messages are sent from drum machine foot switch to both kronos and drum machine to start and stop drum machine and to stop-only karma run. It does not start karma but i may be able to set karma up to allow that, maybe.... Karma works just fine for me when starting only when i press the first note.

You will have to find out how tempest interfaces for the start/stop midi message, it may have different assignment capabilities than my drum machine. But normally just having the midi cables set in place and the channels matching between two devices, is enough for both to share the same start/stop message regardless of which device sent it from a button or assignable control.

You can just start record on kronos and press play on tempest after the cables are set in place. Be sure kronos song length is set to match the tempest song length in number of measures, and maybe add an extra 2 measures in kronos for margin of error that can later be edited out. You can edit out extra measures after recording but not so easy to edit in extra measure after recording. Thats why add extra measures to capture early starts and late stops in tempest play.

If you have perfect midi clock sync, you should be able to just press play on tempest while kronos is armed for record and both will start recording, but even then, kronos does the 2 measure count-in delay and that means two measures will be lost. So either disable the count-in if possible or manually start tempest after kronos has started recording and right when the count-in measures are done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: